Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Sep 26, 2013, 09:28 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Ordered to Pay $3.3 Million in Japanese Lawsuit Over iPod Click Wheel Patent

Apple has been hit with a judgment for 330 million ($3.3 million) in a Japanese court case over infringement of a patent by the company's click wheel system used on a number of past iPod models and the current iPod classic, reports Dow Jones Business News.
Quote:
The Tokyo District Court on Thursday ordered Apple Inc. ( AAPL ) to pay Y330 million in damages to Japanese inventor Norihiko Saito in a patent infringement case involving the U.S. firm's iPod music player, Kyodo News reported.

The patent that Mr. Saito's company applied for in 1998 covers a technology for the Click Wheel controller that Apple has adopted for the music player in Japan since 2004, Presiding Judge Teruhisa Takano said in the ruling.
Saito had filed an injunction request against Apple back in 2007, and as settlement negotiations failed to result in any agreement, he eventually increased his damages request to 10 billion ($101 million). The court ruled, however, that Apple's infringement warranted the much smaller judgment.

Article Link: Apple Ordered to Pay $3.3 Million in Japanese Lawsuit Over iPod Click Wheel Patent
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2013, 09:35 AM   #2
CylonGlitch
macrumors 68030

Does he take cash, because Tim carries more than that in his wallet.
Last edited by CylonGlitch : Tomorrow at 37:05 AM.
MRoogle
CylonGlitch is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2013, 09:42 AM   #3
jmthigpen
macrumors regular

change between the couch cushions
jmthigpen is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2013, 09:48 AM   #4
MarcBook
macrumors 6502a

Tim probably laughed at this verdict.

Sidenote: see attached... wut?!
Attached Images

MarcBook is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2013, 09:53 AM   #5
samcraig
macrumors G5

I love the comments about how this is pocket change to Apple. While true - it's still a win for the plaintiff. But it seems people are fine with Apple violating patents and how insignificant any judgement is but when it comes to Apple suing others for their patents every other company is evil for violating them.

The hypocrisy is laughable.
samcraig is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2013, 10:04 AM   #6
bergert
macrumors member

hypocrisy is yours

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
I love the comments about how this is pocket change to Apple. While true - it's still a win for the plaintiff. But it seems people are fine with Apple violating patents and how insignificant any judgement is but when it comes to Apple suing others for their patents every other company is evil for violating them.

It is not fine to ask $100 million for one small patent on something basic. An iPhone uses more than 100 patents on GSM/4G/Blutooth/WiFi alone. Even Apple's pockets aren't that deep - they'd have to raise prices.

If they had asked a more reasonable amount - Apple usually pays and this would not even be news.
bergert is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2013, 10:20 AM   #7
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergert View Post
It is not fine to ask $100 million for one small patent on something basic. An iPhone uses more than 100 patents on GSM/4G/Blutooth/WiFi alone. Even Apple's pockets aren't that deep - they'd have to raise prices.

If they had asked a more reasonable amount - Apple usually pays and this would not even be news.
No hypocrisy of mine. Where is mine?

And where is evidence that Apple usually pays. Before? Most of the stories are about Apple (and others) having to go through litigation for refusing to pay patent fees.

And who are you (or I) to judge how much or how little a patent is worth. Isn't that why there are courts? If a patent is integral - then isn't it worth more than something that's a "throw away?"

It's clear the judge believed the amount was exorbitant here. Which is great for Apple.

You clearly missed the overarching comment of mine. It's cool.
samcraig is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2013, 10:23 AM   #8
theheadguy
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to theheadguy
Quote:
It is not fine to ask $100 million for one small patent on something basic...
something basic? the click-wheel is the only way to use the device. get your head out.......
Old Sep 26, 2013, 10:26 AM   #9
jmh600cbr
macrumors regular

It probably cost more than that in lawyer fees
jmh600cbr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2013, 11:41 AM   #10
ValSalva
macrumors 68040

We don't know the details of this case. This patent is not for the click wheel itself but for some component of it. It must not be all that critical if the damages awarded by the judge came down from $101 million to $3.3 million, especially considering how many click wheel devices were sold.
ValSalva is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2013, 12:18 PM   #11
junior
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValSalva View Post
We don't know the details of this case. This patent is not for the click wheel itself but for some component of it. It must not be all that critical if the damages awarded by the judge came down from $101 million to $3.3 million, especially considering how many click wheel devices were sold.
Damages awarded in court in Japan tend to be tiny.
If it was in an american court I'd imagine Apple would have happily settled with the company for ten times that amount.
There's never much point in suing people over here due to the meagre amount rewarded.
junior is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2013, 12:48 PM   #12
SamIchi
macrumors 68030

That's really low for something as profitable like the iPod.
SamIchi is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2013, 01:39 PM   #13
needfx
macrumors 68000

Quote:

you traitor
needfx is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2013, 02:12 PM   #14
the8thark
macrumors 68030

Why sue now and not in 2001 or whatever when the click wheel was debuted by apple.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 03:36 PM   #15
Gasu E.
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by theheadguy View Post
something basic? the click-wheel is the only way to use the device. get your head out.......
Read it again. It doesn't say the Japanese company patented the click wheel; it says the compnay patented a technology used in the click wheel. The click wheel might use a hundred different technologies... you can't tell from the article how prominent this specific one was.

----------

Quote:
I'm with you on the "evil" part. But unless you've been involved with development of a complex product, you might not realize that it is almost impossible to develop a complex product without inadvertently violating some existing patent.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 03:52 PM   #16
ufwa
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
Why sue now and not in 2001 or whatever when the click wheel was debuted by apple.
The click wheel was introduced for Japan in 2004. It was announced in 2003 for the US.

He didn't just sue now. Its been in court since 2007.

He has also attempted to negotiate(not stated whether its part of court ordered or voluntary) with Apple. So it is possible he may have attempted to negotiate before even lodging a complaint.
ufwa is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2013, 04:17 PM   #17
FirstNTenderbit
macrumors 6502

Quote:

Either MR updated the article or you chose to ignore this because it didn't fit your narrrative:

Saito had filed an injunction request against Apple back in 2007, and as settlement negotiations failed to result in any agreement, he eventually increased his damages request to 10 billion ($101 million). The court ruled, however, that Apple's infringement warranted the much smaller judgment.

Apparently he did ask for less initially. How much less I have no idea.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 07:21 PM   #18
iOzzie
macrumors member

Send a message via MSN to iOzzie Send a message via Skype™ to iOzzie
Now this is settled, build a new Classic already!

Keep that clickwheel though, defines the iPod!
iOzzie is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2013, 09:56 PM   #19
koban4max
macrumors 65816

Quote:

are you talking about fanboism?
koban4max is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2013, 06:51 AM   #20
Masquerade
macrumors 6502a

Know we know that a Japanese saved apple not jobs
Masquerade is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2013, 11:01 AM   #21
k995
macrumors 6502a

If samsung had done the same people would be all over the koreans, now "its pocket change so who cares"
k995 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2013, 04:38 PM   #22
Masquerade
macrumors 6502a

I wonder if its called Mr iPodunkan muputshituri
Masquerade is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2013, 12:51 AM   #23
MaSx
macrumors regular

Quote:

I salute you!
Old Sep 28, 2013, 11:01 PM   #24
theelysium
macrumors 6502

Just another unsuccessful patent troll trying to get his blood out of his turnip.
theelysium is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2013, 01:43 AM   #25
yusukeaoki
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by theelysium View Post
Just another unsuccessful patent troll trying to get his blood out of his turnip.
Its not a troll since the man actually did invent it.
He first offered to work with Apple but Apple rejected him and just stole the idea.
Its like you working your ass off but someone else just takes your payment.
yusukeaoki is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion