Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Continuing its expansion of content offerings on the Apple TV, Apple today rolled out two new channels for the set-top box: MLS (Major League Soccer) and Disney Junior.

apple_tv_mls_disney_junior.jpg
The MLS channel offers scores, standings, and video content from Major League Soccer, while also offering access to the MLS Live subscription program for live video of matches. MLS Live is priced at $24.99 for the season and a subscription can be used not only on the Apple TV but also on iPhone and iPad.

The new Disney Junior channel is similar to Disney Channel and Disney XD offerings added last month. All three channels require authentication through a participating cable provider for access to live and on-demand content.

Today's additions are the latest in a long line of new channels introduced to the Apple TV in recent months. In June, WatchESPN, HBO GO, Sky News, Crunchyroll, and Quello were added, and last month Apple debuted channels for Vevo, the Smithsonian, and the first two Disney channels. Deals with TWC and The CW are also said to be in the works.

Article Link: Apple Adds Major League Soccer and Disney Junior Channels to Apple TV

t0mbola

macrumors member
May 30, 2011
Hmmm... Disney icons look kind of iOS7ish ... or iOS7 icons look kind of Disneyish? :/

hutch34

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2012
Florida
If it could get NFL Sunday Ticket or Redzone, I'd buy one in a heartbeat and cancel my cable subscription.

peteullo

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2009
Scranton, PA
Maybe they can work something out with the NFL! I'd love to get Sunday Ticket on the Apple TV via subscription and not have to sign up for DirecTV

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I wish half of this crap didn't require cable subscriptions. Why the heck can't I just pay Apple $20 a month or something and get access to all this stuff? They can divide the money appropriately based on how much of each channel I watch.

Apple wins, the networks win, and I win, by not having to pay for a bunch of other content I don't need as well.

But nooooo, the media conglomerates don't want to give up their outdated business models. :(

Bluethree

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2010
Apple - what about something useful to the rest of the world like BBC iPlayer ?:rolleyes:

I suppose a DLNA streaming app is too much too ask for :mad:

appleii.c

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2013
Nice! The AppleTV is becoming a nice little project. Unfortunately I think you still need Cable subscription to the channels (Disney, ESPN etc), but I can now add an AppleTV in my kids room without the need for an extra Cable box.

And I agree, EPL would be great!

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Not that great for channels that require cable, and a cooperating provider, as well.

Netflix, Amazon Prime (not now and probably never available via Apple TV), and DVD sets provide more than we can consume here.

cybertek

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2011
Well that's great, but since I do not have a participating cable provider I cannot enjoy most of the updates.

I just don't understand the restrictions?

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Yes! I've been holding off on purchasing any of the MLS packages due to the inability to watch on the big screen. A welcome addition.

Elbon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
Boston, MA
ATV needs a UI update

If they are going to keep adding apps like this, they need to provide a better way to manage them. I won't use most of the recent additions (I don't have a cable subscription and don't watch most professional sports), and the current means of hiding apps is more cumbersome than it needs to be.

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013
The Apple TV is quickly becoming Disney TV!

My hope, more so than a theory, is that when Apple can get Congress to change the tax laws to let them repatriate their foreign earnings without such steep penalty, that they will buy out Disney (which includes ABC, ESPN, and full/partial ownership of a host of other media entities).

Then Disney TV will be Apple TV on the AppleTV.

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013
I'd rather have an EPL channel with all the cup matches as well.

I would buy that in a heart beat!

GGMU!:D:D:D:D

NBCSN has the EPL games (not the cup matches though) - that's on my "channels" wishlist, especially if can go individual channel subscription instead of "authorized cable provider".

4God

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2005
My Mac
Whats the point if you need a cable or satellite subscription?

Not that great for channels that require cable, and a cooperating provider, as well....

I was wondering the same thing. Plus, if I have to pay my cable provider, why not just watch on cable? This way my wife won't clog my internet connection trying to watch one of these AppleTV channels while I upload/download media during collaborative work with my director. It seems redundant.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Apple need to work on an interface that works if you have a library of 400 TV shows, spanning multiple seasons and 1000s of shows and a Film library that also numbers in the 1000s

Not adding content that only US citizens care about !!

Scrolling down to watch Zulu takes almost as long as watching the film does

Also, iTunes Extras content, it would be nice if i didn't have to keep my original Apple TV connected so i can watch that on the TV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.