Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwehman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2007
Hope someone can help, as I'm in Taiwan at the moment and leaving in 24 hours and would be really bummed if I can't use the ipad on my flight home...

I was attempting to update the mini to 7.0.2 from 7.0 from my Win8 laptop when the mini got into the screen where you see the TB cable with an arrow pointing to the Apple iTunes logo.

It sat there forever until iTunes came back with some error message about not being able to complete the update, with an error code (I didn't write it down). Now the iPad won't get out of that mode...

At this point, I've tried all methods I know of to "restore" the iPad. Tried getting into DFU mode (hold down both buttons for 10 seconds, release sleep button but keep holding home button for 5 more seconds), Restore mode (hold home button and plug in cable with iTunes open), and every other combination I can think of.

Nothing seems to work.

Is there some full-proof method of getting my device into a mode where I can restore/recover the thing? I've got everything backed up so I don't care if I have to go back to the beginning and start over, etc...

Thanks!

jwehman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2007
UPDATE:

Never mind. It turns out that the device driver for the iPad was corrupted, so iTunes could not discover it in DFU mode (which is apparently what the iPad was in the whole time).

Uninstalled iTunes, Apple Discovery Services, Bonjour and all device drivers that were (!) in Device Manager.

Re-installed iTunes and when I plugged in the iPad this time, iTunes recognized a DFU device and I was able to restore.

BerlingerT

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2013
Amelia, Ohio
Same thing happened to me. I had to restore the iPad via iTunes on my laptop to get it working again. Thankfully, my most important documents were saved via Google Drive and Skydrive, but I didn't really appreciate having to set my iPad up all over again and re-downloading all of my apps.

I'm making backups every time I need to update from now on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.