Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uanuglyfool

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2009
The Moon, CA
I try not to bug this community very often but I really need some advice.

I purchased it Mid 2011 and this past summer the Applecare expired. Just recently the LCD started acting up and two lines have formed across the screen. I took it to the Apple store today and was told it would cost around $500 to replace the LCD. Even the genius agreed that it wasn't worth paying that price since its almost half of a new iMac.

I've invested quite a bit of money into my mac including adding 16GBs of RAM and installing a 128GB SSD.

Should I sell it on Craigslist? How much would I get for it with the bad LCD?

Here are the specs for my iMac: 21'' 2.7 GHz i5, 16 GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 128GB SSD.

1.png

2.jpeg

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
How can the AppleCare expired that fast? If you buy it in mid 2011, it would be expired at least in mid 2014 so you're covered. Bring it back to Apple and you can sell it after the LCD is replaced. Worth much more money.

dtjay7

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2008
N. CA
If you decide to sell it, I have an iMac with a bad logic board that would work well with it.

dtjay7

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2008
N. CA
Hmm. Not a bad idea.

Insane how much a logic board will cost you. Might as well buy a new iMac. I don't think I would want to sell mine for less than $1000.

My son uses an iMac with an external monitor, works great that way. If the original display is not too bad you could use both and just use the external as the primary display. That way the speakers and the camera are right there. The one with the damaged logic board just sits out in the garage. I am not actively looking at fixing it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.