Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phish311

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
Im shocked that this is an issue, but i connected my airport express so an amp and connected a couple speakers to get better sound when watching movies from my AppleTV. The sound from the TV speakers is pretty lousy so this seemed like an obvious upgrade.

Everything works great when listening to music or watching the WatcheESPN app, but when I stream a movie from my computer using AppleTV the sound only comes out of the TV and NOT the speakers connected via the airport express.

It seems this is a known issue but has anyone found a work around? I was very dissapointed, needless to say, and can't believe that Apple would allow this to happen with their products, which are meant to work seemlessly together.

I appreciate any advice or insight anyone can give. Thanks

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
I am shocked that this works via the ESPN app. Why would you expect to stream audio and video to 2 different devices?

Why not run an optical cable from the Apple TV to your receiver and skip the Express? If this did work you'd surely have a/v sync issues.

Phish311

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
The Apple TV is on one side of the room and and the speakers are on the opposite. Im trying to avoid having wires running all over the place and since i am only connected 2 speakers, i got a smaller amp that will do the trick. The Airport Express allowed me to keep wires to a minimum

rc135tx

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2010
Im shocked that this is an issue, but i connected my airport express so an amp and connected a couple speakers to get better sound when watching movies from my AppleTV. The sound from the TV speakers is pretty lousy so this seemed like an obvious upgrade.

Everything works great when listening to music or watching the WatcheESPN app, but when I stream a movie from my computer using AppleTV the sound only comes out of the TV and NOT the speakers connected via the airport express.

I appreciate any advice or insight anyone can give. Thanks

Connect the audio from the TV to your amp or select your express in the AppleTV's Settings:Airplay menu. For me the sound volume from the AppleTV via Airplay is very low, so I connect the TV to the amp.

Phish311

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
I tried that and the audio was too low coming directly from the TV to the amp surprisingly. It does defeat the purpose of using the airport to play wirelessly.

I'm gonna see if i can use bluetooth instead as one option, or see if Plex will work

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.