Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Rumors of a narrower and thinner design for the fifth-generation iPad have been circulating for a number of months now, with Apple reportedly taking some design cues from the iPad mini in redesigning the full-size iPad with narrower side bezels, a thinner shell, and more rounded curves.

As long ago as last December, rumors indicated that the new iPad would shave off 4 mm in height, 17 mm in width, and 2 mm in thickness compared to the current design, and based on those rumors and leaked rear shell photos, we created renderings of what the device might look like fully assembled. A number of photo leaks of the rear shell and front panel of the device have continued to support the claims of the iPad mini-inspired redesign.

A case maker's design drawings have now been provided to AppleInsider showing the expected exact dimensions of the fifth-generation iPad. According to the drawings, the next iPad will measure 7.5 mm thick, a full 2 mm thinner than the current iPad and 0.3 mm thicker than the iPad mini.

ipad_5_4_design_drawings.jpg

The new iPad will only shave a little more than 1 mm off of the height of the current iPad, but the much narrower side bezels will reduce the width of the device by over 16 mm or nearly 9%.

Similar design drawings surfaced for the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c, and while they were nearly spot on in several of their measurements, it should be noted that those drawing had pegged the iPhone 5c as being 8.5 mm thick while the official thickness according to Apple is 8.97 mm, indicating that these design drawings are not always perfect.

Article Link: Design Drawings Purportedly Show Exact Dimensions of Smaller, Thinner iPad 5

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
if they are going to make the bezel that thin, i hope they substantially reduce the weight. it will make it actually more cumbersome to hold without a decent grip point

at least with the heavy iPad 3/4, there is a thick bezel to hold the thing

Derekeys

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Thinner and lighter is awesome, but I'd keep it at the current thickness and weight if that meant longer battery. But maybe I'm a little more function over form. But cmon, quick poll: Who would rather a better battery than a thinner design?

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Will it be as thin and light as my svelte iPad 2, though?

Well, if it is 7.5mm, then it will be _thinner_ than your 8.8mm thick iPad 2.

Weight is an interesting question, iPad 2 is 1.35lbs the iPad 4 added a touch at 1.46lbs (so 0.11 lbs difference). My guess is the 5th gen is a few tenths lighter than the 2,3 and 4.

FelixAng

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2013
Hong Kong
...and then, in the course of about 1-2 hours, the iPad 4 looks like a device from the past. I've noticed, Apple tends to use the Mini for marketing props ever since Sept. 10. It's pretty clear the old iPad will really seem old, heavy, and bezel-fat almost immediately. Just as the iPhone 4 made the 3GS look like a soap bar.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Thinner and lighter is awesome, but I'd keep it at the current thickness and weight if that meant longer battery. But maybe I'm a little more function over form. But cmon, quick poll: Who would rather a better battery than a thinner design?

I use my iPad for reading so will welcome a hopefully lighter device.

eastamherstbias

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2012
It was more than thin enough already, I'd rather have it twice as thick with twice the battery life.

you say that now but you don't mean it. If it gets heavy every one complains about holding fatigue. It only needs to have a battery life of 10-18 hours to be successful.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
How much smaller in volume is it in %? I'm sure Apple will throw this out at the media event next month.

Edit: 28.75 % smaller in volume compared to the 4th generation iPad (calculations should be close) That's an incredible reduction! :)

Last edited:

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Hey, as long as they start selling iPads in this lovely desaturated grape color, I'll be a happy camper. :p

RUs1alu.png

murrayE

macrumors member
May 4, 2011
Size of display the same?

Is the implication that the display area is still the same size -- that just the bezel is shrinking?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.