Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 27, 2013, 12:06 PM   #1
lostngone
macrumors 6502a
 
lostngone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Anchorage
Gun Grabbers, now what are you going to do?

For those who think banning any type of firearm or firearm part to law abiding citizens is a "good thing"



http://forums.defcad.com/showthread....omatic-Firearm

What happens in 5 to 10 years when a criminal will be able to go out and pick up the new HP 3DEZ 3D printer for ~$400 and print a full-automatic firearm with a 100 round magazine???

Good thing we will have all these laws on the books to stop them!!!!
__________________
I would much rather go to my grave never needing my gun, than go there wishing I had it.

Last edited by lostngone; Sep 27, 2013 at 12:40 PM. Reason: removed double 10
lostngone is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2013, 12:17 PM   #2
citizenzen
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostngone View Post
For those who think banning any type of firearm or firearm part to law abiding citizens is a "good thing"
Well, for one you outlaw the sale and distribution of the plans capable of "printing" the gun.

I do imagine that there would still be "outlawed" versions of the software available. However, if you regulate it, you'd reduce the opportunities available for people to simply download and print a weapon.
citizenzen is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2013, 12:25 PM   #3
roadbloc
macrumors 604
 
roadbloc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: UK
These printed guns are no doubt to have a high rate of failure. I doubt it is a viable alternative to a real gun. Nice scaremongering but it isn't working.
__________________
roadbloc is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2013, 12:26 PM   #4
Happybunny
macrumors 65816
 
Happybunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: 's-Hertogenbosch Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostngone View Post
For those who think banning any type of firearm or firearm part to law abiding citizens is a "good thing"



http://forums.defcad.com/showthread....omatic-Firearm

What happens in 5 to 10 ten years when a criminal will be able to go out and pick up the new HP 3DEZ 3D printer for ~$400 and print a full-automatic firearm with a 100 round magazine???

Good thing we will have all these laws on the books to stop them!!!!
OMG you really do only have one topic of conversation.
__________________
'You cannot undo history, but you can learn from it'
Happybunny is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2013, 12:32 PM   #5
Renzatic
macrumors 604
 
Renzatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Wisdom mule sez: there are literally zero jungles in Vermont.
I'll tell you this much, if I wanted to print a gun, I wouldn't trust doing it on a home bought consumer grade 3D printer using standard materials. Thing would probably only print something capable of reliably shooting a bullets or two before the body wears down. After that, who knows what'll happen when you pull the trigger.
Renzatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2013, 12:32 PM   #6
NT1440
macrumors G3
 
NT1440's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Hartford, CT
Gun control of 3d printing is a farce. Gun legislation is simply the mechanism being used to lock down the 3d printing industry (think drm) before it changes the status quo.
NT1440 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2013, 12:37 PM   #7
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happybunny View Post
OMG you really do only have one topic of conversation.



It's quiet.


Imagine a house. A large house. Many rooms.


In one of those rooms is a piano, an old piano, maybe missing a key. Maybe out of tune. Definitely out of tune.


Imagine a child, your child, someone else's perhaps, finding that piano.


And playing the same note. Loudly. Over and over... and then, once in a while, hitting a broken key.


But you can't move. Because you're stuck. Trapped, just you and the piano, in this large empty house with many rooms...






By this stage, I'd probably take that hypotherical HP 3DEZ 3D printed fully-automatic firearm with a 100 round magazine...




...and blow my mother-fecking brains out.
Blue Velvet is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2013, 12:38 PM   #8
tshrimp
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostngone View Post
For those who think banning any type of firearm or firearm part to law abiding citizens is a "good thing"



http://forums.defcad.com/showthread....omatic-Firearm

What happens in 5 to 10 ten years when a criminal will be able to go out and pick up the new HP 3DEZ 3D printer for ~$400 and print a full-automatic firearm with a 100 round magazine???

Good thing we will have all these laws on the books to stop them!!!!
We must put an end to the violence these printers cause by implementing stricter printer control laws. As we know printers kill people, and stricter laws will save lives. Printer safes and printer locks are not enough to keep these out of the hands of our children as well, and as we know the children are our future, and they have the right to grow up without having to think of printer violence.

I say we band together against the NPA (National Printer Association), and show these right winged crazies what is right.

P.S. I call for full Printer registration in the US. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and others will follow our lead into the future.

Last edited by tshrimp; Sep 27, 2013 at 12:43 PM.
tshrimp is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2013, 12:44 PM   #9
citizenzen
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshrimp View Post
We must put an end to the violence these printers cause by implementing stricter printer control laws. As we know printers kill people, and stricter laws will save lives. Printer safes and printer locks are not enough to keep these out of the hands of our children as well, and as we know the children are our future, and they have the right to grow up without having to think of printer violence.

I say we band together against the NPA (National Printer Association), and show these right winged crazies what is right.
Correction. You aren't banning or regulating the printer.

You'd regulating the software plans that create the gun.
citizenzen is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2013, 12:44 PM   #10
lannister80
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicagoland
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshrimp View Post
P.S. I call for full Printer registration in the US. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and others will follow our lead into the future.
Like every other analogy you've ever cooked up on this topic, 3D printers are USEFUL for something other than putting bits of metal through objects at a high rate of speed, *unlike guns*.
__________________
Early 2008 Mac Pro, 8x2.8GHz, 3.25TB, 18GB RAM
UnRAID NAS, 9TB storage, 3TB parity, 400GB cache
lannister80 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2013, 12:46 PM   #11
lostngone
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
lostngone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Anchorage
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadbloc View Post
These printed guns are no doubt to have a high rate of failure. I doubt it is a viable alternative to a real gun. Nice scaremongering but it isn't working.
Look at the output of the first consumer computer printers and look at them now.

I don't think your average criminal looking to hold up a convenience store with the "no firearms sign" is really worried if his 3D printed firearm is going to keep working after 50 rounds.
__________________
I would much rather go to my grave never needing my gun, than go there wishing I had it.
lostngone is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2013, 12:46 PM   #12
tshrimp
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
Correction. You aren't banning or regulating the printer.

You'd regulating the software plans that create the gun.
Why does someone need plans? Does it not allow you to create your own?
tshrimp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2013, 12:52 PM   #13
citizenzen
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshrimp View Post
Why does someone need plans? Does it not allow you to create your own?


Good luck. I certainly couldn't do it.

You can't control what people build on their own.

But you can control (to a degree) what is openly sold and distributed.
citizenzen is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2013, 12:52 PM   #14
tshrimp
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by lannister80 View Post
Like every other analogy you've ever cooked up on this topic, 3D printers are USEFUL for something other than putting bits of metal through objects at a high rate of speed, *unlike guns*.
I finally put a left leaning spin on something and you don't like it? Hmmmm.

Just an fyi...As you realize what I wrote was nonsense, and I assume you read it as such. I sometimes wonder if the left realizes that this is exactly how some of the gun arguments against guns look to us right wingers.

BTW...Here are some uses for guns. They are not used to kill innocents as many make it sound.

http://www.gunlaws.com/noble.htm

Protecting your family in emergencies
Personal safety and self defense
Preventing and deterring crimes
Detaining criminals for arrest
Guarding our national borders
Preserving our interests abroad
Helping defend our allies
Overcoming tyranny
International trade
Emergency preparedness
Commerce and employment
Historical preservation and study
Obtaining food by hunting
Olympic competition
Collecting
Sporting pursuits
Target practice
Recreational shooting

But you live in Chicago where there is gun control, so I assume the murder rate is very low where you are at.

Last edited by tshrimp; Sep 27, 2013 at 12:58 PM.
tshrimp is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2013, 12:58 PM   #15
Renzatic
macrumors 604
 
Renzatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Wisdom mule sez: there are literally zero jungles in Vermont.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshrimp View Post
Why does someone need plans? Does it not allow you to create your own?
All you'd need is a CAD program, and you could design anything you want. But think about it. Would you really want Billy Guncrazy sitting around in his house, designing high velocity firearms with his pirated copy of Autocad and a couple days worth of tutorials under his belt?

I can see it now...

"3D PRINTERS ARE A GOVERNMENT LIBERAL CONSPIRACY TO HARM PEOPLE WHO ARE DOING NOTHING MORE THAN EXERCISING THEIR GOD GIVEN 2ND AMENDMENT RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS!

Since this whole 'make your own gun craze' took off, over 6000 people have had multiple fingers blown off ON EACH HAND due to these so called self made guns misfiring. I don't think this is a coincidence! I think the government knew 3D printers wouldn't be good enough to make a gun, and they're allowing their own citizens to hurt themselves so they can ban REAL guns from the market! IT ALL MAKES SENSE! YOU CAN'T FIRE A GUN WITHOUT FINGERS! IT'S ALL A PLOY, PEOPLE! OPEN YOUR EYES AND SEE THE TRUTH"!
Renzatic is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2013, 01:01 PM   #16
Eraserhead
macrumors G4
 
Eraserhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshrimp View Post
I finally put a left leaning spin on something and you don't like it? Hmmmm.

Just an fyi...As you realize what I wrote was nonsense, and I assume you read it as such. I sometimes wonder if the left realizes that this is exactly how some of the gun arguments against guns look to us right wingers.

BTW...Here are some uses for guns. They are not used to kill innocents as many make it sound.

http://www.gunlaws.com/noble.htm

Protecting your family in emergencies
Personal safety and self defense
Preventing and deterring crimes
Detaining criminals for arrest
Guarding our national borders
Preserving our interests abroad
Helping defend our allies
Overcoming tyranny
International trade
Emergency preparedness
Commerce and employment
Historical preservation and study
Obtaining food by hunting
Olympic competition
Collecting
Sporting pursuits
Target practice
Recreational shooting

But you live in Chicago where there is gun control, so I assume the murder rate is very low where you are at.
Most of Chicago is pretty nice these days. You aren't likely to get shot there.
Eraserhead is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2013, 01:02 PM   #17
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
YOU CAN'T FIRE A GUN WITHOUT FINGERS!

Guns don't kill people, fingers kill people.

Must admit, it's got a certain ring.
Blue Velvet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2013, 01:08 PM   #18
tshrimp
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
All you'd need is a CAD program, and you could design anything you want. But think about it. Would you really want Billy Guncrazy sitting around in his house, designing high velocity firearms with his pirated copy of Autocad and a couple days worth of tutorials under his belt?

I can see it now...

"3D PRINTERS ARE A GOVERNMENT LIBERAL CONSPIRACY TO HARM PEOPLE WHO ARE DOING NOTHING MORE THAN EXERCISING THEIR GOD GIVEN 2ND AMENDMENT RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS!

Since this whole 'make your own gun craze' took off, over 6000 people have had multiple fingers blown off ON EACH HAND due to these so called self made guns misfiring. I don't think this is a coincidence! I think the government knew 3D printers wouldn't be good enough to make a gun, and they're allowing their own citizens to hurt themselves so they can ban REAL guns from the market! IT ALL MAKES SENSE! YOU CAN'T FIRE A GUN WITHOUT FINGERS! IT'S ALL A PLOY, PEOPLE! OPEN YOUR EYES AND SEE THE TRUTH"!
You commend about missing fingers reminds me of one of the funnies videos I have seen that involves Apple. It is a little old, but I think it is still funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn-YesqzvNk

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraserhead View Post
Most of Chicago is pretty nice these days. You aren't likely to get shot there.
Been there many many times (Too cold for me). But Chicago does have a very high murder rate, so although not likely to get shot anywhere, your chances are higher there than most places.
tshrimp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2013, 01:36 PM   #19
bradl
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostngone View Post
For those who think banning any type of firearm or firearm part to law abiding citizens is a "good thing"



http://forums.defcad.com/showthread....omatic-Firearm

What happens in 5 to 10 years when a criminal will be able to go out and pick up the new HP 3DEZ 3D printer for ~$400 and print a full-automatic firearm with a 100 round magazine???

Good thing we will have all these laws on the books to stop them!!!!
You still haven't addressed my request for 2 different citations in the other threads on this. Are you going to continually ignore those, are get to them?

BL.
bradl is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2013, 01:40 PM   #20
citizenzen
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshrimp View Post
Been there many many times (Too cold for me). But Chicago does have a very high murder rate, so although not likely to get shot anywhere, your chances are higher there than most places.
It's amazing how reputation trumps reality. While people love to talk about how dangerous Chicago is, these cities get overlooked despite having higher murder rates ...

Quote:
Murder Rate [per 100,000]

New Orleans 51.7
St. Louis 40.3
Detroit 40.0
Baltimore 37.3
Newark 28.7
Oakland 25.7
Washington DC 24.0
Buffalo 22.3
Kansas City 20.6
Memphis 19.8
Philadelphia 19.5
Cleveland 19.3
Cincinnati 16.5
Chicago 16.1

http://www.census.gov/compendia/stat...es/12s0309.pdf
citizenzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2013, 01:43 PM   #21
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God
 
Shrink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New England, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happybunny View Post
OMG you really do only have one topic of conversation.
It's called specialization...
__________________
Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein
Shrink is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2013, 01:50 PM   #22
Renzatic
macrumors 604
 
Renzatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Wisdom mule sez: there are literally zero jungles in Vermont.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Velvet View Post
Must admit, it's got a certain ring.
And what do rings go on? Fingers. It's all coming together! It makes so much sense now.

...we've crossed the Rubicon here, people.
Renzatic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2013, 02:03 PM   #23
TheHateMachine
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostngone View Post
For those who think banning any type of firearm or firearm part to law abiding citizens is a "good thing"



http://forums.defcad.com/showthread....omatic-Firearm

What happens in 5 to 10 years when a criminal will be able to go out and pick up the new HP 3DEZ 3D printer for ~$400 and print a full-automatic firearm with a 100 round magazine???

Good thing we will have all these laws on the books to stop them!!!!
Why don't you ask the UK or Canada how they deal with zip guns in this day and age. I mean crude zip guns are fairly easy to make... probably easier and more accessible than your Armchair Psychic future where people are easily printing 3D guns with supplies and materials in the hundreds as opposed to pieces of wood, metal piping and rubberbands.
__________________
I own stuff that is cool and fits my needs.
TheHateMachine is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2013, 02:14 PM   #24
lostngone
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
lostngone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Anchorage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHateMachine View Post
Why don't you ask the UK or Canada how they deal with zip guns in this day and age. I mean crude zip guns are fairly easy to make... probably easier and more accessible than your Airchair Psychic future where people are easily printing 3D guns.
People are ALREADY making 3D printed guns. I will not say they are better then something you can build from a couple of trips to the hardware store(zip guns)

However 3D printer technology is only going to get better and cheaper and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see(see my original link in this thread) that it is only a matter of time before someone comes up with plans for a semi-auto or select fire weapon that is easier to make then a hardware store zip gun.
__________________
I would much rather go to my grave never needing my gun, than go there wishing I had it.

Last edited by lostngone; Sep 27, 2013 at 02:17 PM. Reason: added "and cheaper"
lostngone is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2013, 02:25 PM   #25
yg17
macrumors G5
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: St. Louis, MO
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadbloc View Post
These printed guns are no doubt to have a high rate of failure. I doubt it is a viable alternative to a real gun. Nice scaremongering but it isn't working.
Ideally a high rate of failure with the bullet going backwards. Darwinism should take care of some of these folks
__________________
Barack Obama is not a foreign born, brown skinned, anti-war socialist who gives away healthcare. You're thinking of Jesus.
yg17 is offline   2 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:46 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC