Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.
I'm not a huge fanboy that has to have the latest greatest. My current phone is simply on it's last legs.
I am quite simply fed up with the poor supply chain management, and the rough treatment of customers. I certainly don't think Apple "owes me" anything for being a prior customer, anymore than Subaru or Sony does. Though all companies need to put at least the minimum effort into maintaining brand loyalty, even Apple.
However the incredibly vague ship date of "October" is kind of vexing. That is a window of a couple days, to a month and then some.
I would not have such a hard time with it if Apple wasn't bragging about selling so many phones, and then moving on to debut the phones in more markets and more carriers.
If this was a restaurant I would still be waiting for breakfast while dinner is being cooked. :mad:

arom

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2008
I'm not a huge fanboy that has to have the latest greatest. My current phone is simply on it's last legs.
I am quite simply fed up with the poor supply chain management, and the rough treatment of customers. I certainly don't think Apple "owes me" anything for being a prior customer, anymore than Subaru or Sony does. Though all companies need to put at least the minimum effort into maintaining brand loyalty, even Apple.
However the incredibly vague ship date of "October" is kind of vexing. That is a window of a couple days, to a month and then some.
I would not have such a hard time with it if Apple wasn't bragging about selling so many phones, and then moving on to debut the phones in more markets and more carriers.
If this was a restaurant I would still be waiting for breakfast while dinner is being cooked. :mad:

Get an S4, no lines.. no waiting....

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
I got up 3AM on the 20th and saw 1-3 day shipping. Decided I didn't want to wait so at 4AM I jumped in line and got my mine.

It is what it is. I knew it'd be jump in line or wait, we all should know that.

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I too think a ship date of OCTOBER is freaking ridiculous and I am an Apple fan boy. I mean I thought Mr. Cook was a supply chain genius. You mean to tell me you can't narrow that down to a 1 week period?

AND despite the vague shipping date (well month) they continue to add countries and carriers when they can't meet demand for the existing ones.

:mad:

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.
Get an S4, no lines.. no waiting....
doood, I am so tempted.
However my job limits the phones that can access our email and corp sites to IOS and BB.
And I am not going back to BB land!
Well that and I also am in the IT division so it behooves me to have the same type of devices as our employees to try and duplicate the issues they encounter.

I am thinking about just getting one of the fugly 5C phones, but I have other issues about those. (mostly that they are fugly)

Last edited:

KaijuRed

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2013
Go to your nearest apple store and get it.. they restock every day. Problem solved.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
depending on the size/color, you might be able to walk into an apple store and find the iphone you're looking for.

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
All who had to wait were fed up with waiting, before they knew they had to….such is the way with Apple toy addicts!

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.
How are you more entitled than any other person of another country?
I'm not. That is why I posed the question "is ANYONE ELSE fed up".
It seems that a lot of those "9 million sold" have yet to ship.
I feel that they should be delivering whatever inventory they can to people that have already ordered. Not to new carriers and markets.
Are we supposed to believe that Virgin Mobile is going to debut the 5S in their stores and NOT have any on hand?
That is a cut in line if you ask me.

And like I said, I DONT feel like Apple owes me any more than any other company owes a consumer that has purchased a product.

About the October thing. Is it really unreasonable to expect a company that makes and manages phones, computers, servers, data centers, operating systems, applications, content distribution and cloud services to be able to narrow the delivery date to something less than 1/12th of a year resolution? In the 19th century we could do better than that with brass springs and steam power.

----------

Go to your nearest apple store and get it.. they restock every day. Problem solved.
I don't think you live in a major metro area like SF or NYC if you think that is a reasonable solution. The two Apple stores that are close to me are way too crowded and there is zero guarantee that several hours wait will net you a phone.
Besides, I work full time, there really isn't any time I could get in there except on weekends. Good luck with that!

Last edited:

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado

Yeah, waiting sucks. But I think that you are being overly dramatic when you are talking about the "rough treatment of customers."

ethereal45

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2007
I'm getting tired of waiting, but I accept it's my own fault. I would however like to see either a little more transparency from the stores about when they may have more in and if they sell them right away or hold them for people waiting for store openings.

jordanesque23

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2013
The wait has been slowly killing my excitement to the point that I don't care about the phone anymore. Woke up 3am est on launch date because I dont want to wait yet it has been backordered. It's so frustrating cause my current phone is dying and I need a replacement. For now, all I can do is wait further and SMH.

richpuer

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2010
yea its retarded. i have two leather cases that arrived earlier this week and NO PHONES to put them in

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
If they were to have enough for everyone that wants one they would needed to start production much earlier - then many of the feature of the phone would not have been possible.

Im sorry for your wait - but its what you signed up for.

ngocnguyen

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2012
I walked into the Stanford Shopping Plaza Apple store in Palo Alto this morning...I was the ONLY customer in the store. I said "where is everyone?"...Apple rep said "they want silver and gold"

I got my space gray 5S....out in 10 minutes

(and yesterday, I canceled my web order cuz I was tired of waiting for the Oct 7-10 ship date)

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I walked into the Stanford Shopping Plaza Apple store in Palo Alto this morning...I was the ONLY customer in the store. I said "where is everyone?"...Apple rep said "they want silver and gold"

(and yesterday, I canceled my web order cuz I was tired of waiting for the Oct 7-10 ship date)

FML ....... My ship date is OCTOBER.

Now that I think about it there is no year stated. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012

It's actually a very smart business practice... As a company, they are better off giving you a vague shipping date and then hopefully getting it to you earlier than you expect than giving you a direct date and having you be disappointed. I've already seen some people be disappointed when their order date slips.

I'm waiting on one through Rogers and I don't even have a date, just a number in line. :p It's gone down 200 people since I ordered on Monday but I don't know how much of that is people giving up or picking up in store vs actual shipments.

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.

I might try this on my lunch today. Maybe the Union Square Apple store has chilled out?

riverfreak

macrumors 68000
Jan 10, 2005
Thonglor, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon

100% agree. I finally bailed and tracked one down at a physical store. Still had to recruit someone else to get it for me since I don't have time to stand in line or cruise all over town.

I don't understand the criticisms from others on this thread that it's your fault for not ordering early enough.

Surely Apple knows 1) precisely how long it takes to build an iphone; 2) test it; 3) prep it; 4) ship it.

Apple is the biggest tech company in the world, famed for it's supply chain management.

MisterPunchy

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2013
CA

You think that their producing, selling and shipping 10million units in a single week indicates a poor supply chain?

Cutecynic

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2013
this is a serious question: is it like this every time a new iphone is released?

if it is, then it is what it is. <-------awkward wording i know

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.