Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is the iPhone 5S a worth the upgrade from the iPhone 5?

• The 5S is WAY better! Once it came out the iPhone 5 became POO.

Votes: 40 66.7%
  • iPhone 5 is more than fine, I wish I had stuck with it... pfft to this update

Votes: 20 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I'm one of those people on the fence on this upgrade.

I just got a refurbished 16gb iPhone 5 yesterday from the Apple store because my previous iPhone 5 was messed up and I got them to swap me out for a new one on my last day of warranty.

So since this one is still so shiny I was thinking I should sell it for (hopefully) $400 and picking up the 5S at full cost (I'll end up spending an extra $200 or so after all is said and done). BUT the only things that are "WOW" factors for me on the 5S; are the new camera features and the processor speed... both of which though nice aren't MUST HAVE and my iPhone 5 works great.

EDIT:I have an Upgrade currently, but I am jumping to T-mobile from At&t in December... in which case there are no "upgrades" since I'm paying the full price for the phone. I was debating just unlocking my phone once my contract is up and popping in a T-Mo card. One option I had was upgrading now with my At&t and then bail in Dec with my family and pay the ETF essentially paying $505 ($200+$325 ETF) for my upgrade.

So I wanted to get some public opinions on people who upgraded from the 5 to the 5S.

Should I make the jump? Yay or Nay?

Last edited:

user-name-here

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2013
If you have an upgrade available and don't use it you're basically throwing money down the toilet. So if you do then yes, get the 5s.

If you don't have an upgrade available then quit stressing out and chill with your 5 until you do.

Col Ronson

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
If you can afford it, then yes. Go for it.
An upgrade is an upgrade, minor or not. If you have the money to dish out, then theres no shame.

A good majority of MR members get a new iPhone every year even though upgrade periods are 2 years.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I have an upgrade but I am jumping to T-mobile from At&t in December... in which case there are no "upgrades" since I'm paying the full price for the phone. I was debating just unlocking my phone once my contract is up and popping in a T-Mo card.

Last edited:

user-name-here

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2013
I have an update but I am jumping to T-mobile from At&t in December... in which case there are no "upgrades" since I'm paying the full price for the phone. I was debating just unlocking my phone once my contract is up and popping in a T-Mo card.

Since you won't have an upgrade then I would stick with your 5.

Only time people should upgrade is when they have an upgrade available.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Since you won't have an upgrade then I would stick with your 5.

Only time people should upgrade is when they have an upgrade available.

I meant to say I DO have an upgrade available currently on At&t but since I'm moving to T-Mobile in Dec I essentially will have to pay the whole ETF to leave... BUT I do end up saving about $100 bucks.

Last edited:

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
5S is way better. If you're a true Apple fan who is fanatical about product experience, you have to upgrade. There is no debating it.

Well the debate mainly for me is $. Though my upgrade will be relatively cheap. I have a family to feed and though my job is ok... but I'm certainly not loaded. I am leaning towards the 5S though for sure...

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
You need to have more options. I upgraded from my 5 to the 5S, but I wouldn't pay full retail price for that upgrade. I just happen to have a wife that is more than happy to have her upgrades a year behind mine, so she gets an upgrade every year too, it's just to my old phone...sold her 4S for $233, got the 5S on my upgrade, she gets my 5. Next year I'll get the 6 on her upgrade and pass her the 5S.

Anyway, it's a nice upgrade. Camera features are very nice, and I love TouchID. It's also faster. (and REALLY big difference in load times on Infinity Blade III...took nearly 90 seconds to load on the 5...takes about 10 on the 5S).

Anyway, I'd vote: it's a nice upgrade, but not essential if you'll go broke. Your poll choices are way at the opposite ends of the spectrum.

Krissypantz2828

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2012
I wasn't going to upgrade to 5S from my 5. But I've changed my mind. Primarily due to the camera and the fingerprint reader. So I think you should but it's all of a matter of preference.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
You need to have more options. I upgraded from my 5 to the 5S, but I wouldn't pay full retail price for that upgrade. I just happen to have a wife that is more than happy to have her upgrades a year behind mine, so she gets an upgrade every year too, it's just to my old phone...sold her 4S for $233, got the 5S on my upgrade, she gets my 5. Next year I'll get the 6 on her upgrade and pass her the 5S.

Anyway, it's a nice upgrade. Camera features are very nice, and I love TouchID. It's also faster. (and REALLY big difference in load times on Infinity Blade III...took nearly 90 seconds to load on the 5...takes about 10 on the 5S).

Anyway, I'd vote: it's a nice upgrade, but not essential if you'll go broke. Your poll choices are way at the opposite ends of the spectrum.

I wanted a more black and white statistic rather than shades of (space) gray.

----------

I wasn't going to upgrade to 5S from my 5. But I've changed my mind. Primarily due to the camera and the fingerprint reader. So I think you should but it's all of a matter of preference.

The camera is the biggest deal for me because I am a camera nut. I saw a guy go to the sony store next door to my apple store and he took a pic with the new QX100 vs native iPhone 5S camera. The 5S looked BETTER! Brighter, sharper and the colors were warmer. All in low light with no flash. Was very impressed by this.

Krissypantz2828

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2012
The camera is the biggest deal for me because I am a camera nut. I saw a guy go to the sony store next door to my apple store and he took a pic with the new QX100 vs native iPhone 5S camera. The 5S looked BETTER! Brighter, sharper and the colors were warmer. All in low light with no flash. Was very impressed by this.

Yes my best friend wasn't going to upgrade either, she's a photographer by night and says the camera is really good. She even referenced the fact that she doesn't always have to carry her professional camera around for random shots. So when someone in photography says that, it means that it's good.

I'm sure for portraits etc.. she will use her professional camera, but for any other shots she will use the 5S

tehpwnerer19

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2010
I had the iPhone 5 and my wife had the 4S. I sold mine for $400 and hers for $300. If you have an upgrade available you can sell your phone and get paid to upgrade.

I did the math and it takes me about 1 second to unlock my phone. I use my phone for work and personal things, so I figure it's safe to say I check it at least 60 times a day. That's 1 minute a day I spend unlocking my iPhone. If you take 365 days (minutes a year I spend unlocking my phone) in the year divided by 60 (seconds in a minute), that's over 6 hours a year that I will save alone just unlocking my iPhone. Not to mention the fact that it takes less time to launch apps, etc.

Once devs start taking advantage of 64-bit I have a feeling a lot of other things will start flying, but 6 hours a year saved is enough for me.

Even if you only check it 30 times a day that's still over 3 hours a year, or over an hour and a half a year at 15 times a day.

user-name-here

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2013
Sorry, I don't understand your statement...
I always upgrade to new iPhones and iPads, which is pretty much every year and I do it because I want to, not because an upgrade is available.

Sorry, I made a blanket statement for the average U.S. customer on 2-year contracts. My apologies if the blanket was too wide or if you don't fall into that category.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I had the iPhone 5 and my wife had the 4S. I sold mine for $400 and hers for $300. If you have an upgrade available you can sell your phone and get paid to upgrade.

I did the math and it takes me about 1 second to unlock my phone. I use my phone for work and personal things, so I figure it's safe to say I check it at least 60 times a day. That's 1 minute a day I spend unlocking my iPhone. If you take 365 days (minutes a year I spend unlocking my phone) in the year divided by 60 (seconds in a minute), that's over 6 hours a year that I will save alone just unlocking my iPhone. Not to mention the fact that it takes less time to launch apps, etc.

Once devs start taking advantage of 64-bit I have a feeling a lot of other things will start flying, but 6 hours a year saved is enough for me.

Even if you only check it 30 times a day that's still over 3 hours a year, or over an hour and a half a year at 15 times a day.

The whole saving time scenario for the fingerprint lock is kind of silly. We waste more time in the day pointlessly staring at something than we would putting in a pass code.

Thank you for your input I agree on all our other facts though.
Right now I'm waiting for bites on my phone before I make a full decision.

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
Improvements of 5s are

LTE bands for people who travel a lot.
Camera for people who like taking pictures / use Instagram for effects.
TouchID which is very convenient.

I upgraded from the 5 to the 5s but that is only because I staggered my upgrades so I can do yearly upgrades. I don't think it is worth upgrading, especially at full cost of the phone, unless you travel a lot or got upgrades to kill.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Improvements of 5s are

LTE bands for people who travel a lot.
Camera for people who like taking pictures / use Instagram for effects.
TouchID which is very convenient.

I upgraded from the 5 to the 5s but that is only because I staggered my upgrades so I can do yearly upgrades. I don't think it is worth upgrading, especially at full cost of the phone, unless you travel a lot or got upgrades to kill.

I have an upgrade but since I'm ditching my service I have an ETF to pay... would you say it's worth paying $560 (200 + 305 ETF+ Tax)for? Though I will (hopefully) get back like 400 so looking at about $160 out of pocket.

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
If you take a lot of pictures and movies and currently use a pass code on your phone it's probably worth it. Speed wise I notice zero improvement. I guess the 5 was already pretty fast. :p Since your asking advice your obviously not a Apple Nut like myself who simply must have the latest and greatest.

I say Save up for the 6.

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
It's not 560. It's 305 for ETF + 200 for phone + ~50 for tax + 36 for upgrade fee. So grand total is 590.

If you sold your iPhone 5 for 400 that means it's still about 200 to upgrade. I don't think it is worth the money unless you apply to the 3 groups I mentioned above.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
I have an upgrade but since I'm ditching my service I have an ETF to pay... would you say it's worth paying $560 (200 + 305 ETF+ Tax)for? Though I will (hopefully) get back like 400 so looking at about $160 out of pocket.

I would for $160. i would't pay full price for the change though. Fingerprint is hit and miss. Sure camera is great. When i first tried one in store it felt faster and smoother. My wife had a upgrade, i got it my son got my 9 month old 5 and i got the 5S. She has a white 5 64GB she loves and wouldn't notice any difference anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.