Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dancks

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2009
I was trying to help my brother fix his computer:
A pop up that comes up at login that will tell you that your startup disk is full, he logs in and the screen gets stuck without loading any files.

I boot into EFI (or whatever you want to call it), Some reading device fails so everything is read only. I try to plug in a external hard drive to save some items before trying to simply re-install the system, I get "SAM Multimedia: Read or Write Failed ASC=0x11 ASCQ=0x00" something similar I don't remember the exact error code I do know ASCQ was 0x0 which seemed telling. So basically I could neither find nor mount the external hard drive.

I actually this multiple times, the first time the computer crashed in EFI when I tried to open his user file.

I tried running puppy dog linux, a device called "sda1" shows up, It had a nested file: EFI/APPLE/EXTENSIONS/Firmware.scad. I couldn't find anything else. I'm thinking all is lost. I don't know I've never had to deal with this on my mac. I was wondering if you guys had any ideas.

Its a 15'' macbook pro 15''. Thats all I know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.