Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EvilLate

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2013
Spain
So i heard that with new iOS 7 just released probably, or mostly assured, will not come any new patch or, even worse!, security update of iOS 6.

I've tried to get info about this cause i would like to decide properly wether to upgrade my iPhone 4 to iOS 7 (due all known performance issues) or stay with my iOS 6.

Anyone heard about this? :confused:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Previous iOS versions never get updates after the next major release of iOS. While it has happened only once with iOS 1.1.5, it will very likely never happen again.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
While true, there were iPhone 3GS models being produced into September of 2012. With AppleCare, Apple still has to support these models until mid-2014. So, it's POSSIBLE that security updates may continue for iOS6 for that time.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
While true, there were iPhone 3GS models being produced into September of 2012. With AppleCare, Apple still has to support these models until mid-2014. So, it's POSSIBLE that security updates may continue for iOS6 for that time.

Unlikely, the iPhone 2G was still being given out with 2010 serial numbers yet they never got past 3.1.3. Even the iPhone 3G is still being given out with 2013 serial numbers, yet it's still at 4.2.1.

EvilLate

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2013
Spain
but, there is no place to check it "officially"?

Ok, i mean, i can totally trust that's it, but, i'm a little bit pissed off about this.

Thanx a lot, btw :)

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
but, there is no place to check it "officially"?

Ok, i mean, i can totally trust that's it, but, i'm a little bit pissed off about this.

Thanx a lot, btw :)

Is the history of iOS official enough? You've got 5 other versions of iOS to look back upon.

YanniDepp

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
Apple don't release iOS updates once a new version is out.

They did once, with iOS 1.1.5. This was a security fix release, and they put it out because not everybody upgraded to iOS 2. It was only free for iPhones. iPod touch users had to load iTunes on their Mac or PC and buy iOS 2.

This is why the jailbreak folks waited for iOS 7 to be released before they started working on an iOS 6.1.3 jailbreak. A lot of exploits that can be used to jailbreak were fixed in iOS 7. But the ones that are still in iOS 6.1.3 are now in iOS 6 forever.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Apple don't release iOS updates once a new version is out.

They did once, with iOS 1.1.5. This was a security fix release, and they put it out because not everybody upgraded to iOS 2. It was only free for iPhones. iPod touch users had to load iTunes on their Mac or PC and buy iOS 2.

You're slightly mistaken about iOS 1.1.5. It was only for the iPod Touch, it was not released in any form for the iPhone.

YanniDepp

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
I know it was only for the touch. Because iOS 2 was an (optional) paid upgrade for the touch rather than the free upgrade it was for the iPhone.

I think they charged for iOS 3 for the touch as well, didn't they?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I know it was only for the touch. Because iOS 2 was an (optional) paid upgrade for the touch rather than the free upgrade it was for the iPhone.

I think they charged for iOS 3 for the touch as well, didn't they?

iOS 2 and 3 were a paid upgrade, as was iOS 1.1.3/.4/.5. It wasn't until iOS 4 that iPod Touch users got free iOS updates.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
iOS 2 and 3 were a paid upgrade, as was iOS 1.1.3/.4/.5. It wasn't until iOS 4 that iPod Touch users got free iOS updates.

iOS 1.1.x was not a paid upgrade. The first paid upgrade was iOS 2, which introduced the App Store. (And of course, this applied only to the iPod touch; the iPhone update was free. Some silly accounting rule.) 1.1 was fairly minor changes from 1.0.x, like a few added settings, the rare updated icon, and some iPhone/iPod touch feature parity.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
iOS 1.1.x was not a paid upgrade. The first paid upgrade was iOS 2, which introduced the App Store. (And of course, this applied only to the iPod touch; the iPhone update was free. Some silly accounting rule.) 1.1 was fairly minor changes from 1.0.x, like a few added settings, the rare updated icon, and some iPhone/iPod touch feature parity.

iOS 1.1.2 was not a paid upgrade, nor was 1.1.3 or 1.1.4 or 1.1.5. But starting with iOS 1.1.3, if you wanted the iPhone apps such as Mail, Maps, Stocks, Weather, and Notes, you have to purchase them through iTunes for $20. In effect, they were paid upgrades. iOS 1.0.X never ran on the iPod Touch and iOS 1.1 was only on a few factory unit sold right after the release of the iPod Touch. Shortly after the release, Apple released iOS 1.1.1 to correct a crushed black problem that affected iPod Touches running iOS 1.1.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
But starting with iOS 1.1.3, if you wanted the iPhone apps such as Mail, Maps, Stocks, Weather, and Notes, you have to purchase them through iTunes for $20. In effect, they were paid upgrades.

You're right. I almost forgot about that. It's kind of like the iWork situation now: the apps were/will be free on new devices, but users who purchased before had/will have to pay.

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011
iOS 1.1.2 was not a paid upgrade, nor was 1.1.3 or 1.1.4 or 1.1.5. But starting with iOS 1.1.3, if you wanted the iPhone apps such as Mail, Maps, Stocks, Weather, and Notes, you have to purchase them through iTunes for $20. In effect, they were paid upgrades. iOS 1.0.X never ran on the iPod Touch and iOS 1.1 was only on a few factory unit sold right after the release of the iPod Touch. Shortly after the release, Apple released iOS 1.1.1 to correct a crushed black problem that affected iPod Touches running iOS 1.1.

I hadn't heard about that before today. I assumed that those basic applications had been there since the introduction of iPhone OS for all of the supported devices. That's interesting.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
People who said there wouldn't be a new iOS 6 update were wrong, iOS 6.1.5 released alongside iOS 7.0.4.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
People who said there wouldn't be a new iOS 6 update were wrong, iOS 6.1.5 released alongside iOS 7.0.4.

Do note that at the time all historical data pointed to there not being anymore iOS 6 updates. 6.1.5 could also hardly be called an update seeing that all it does is fix a rare Facetime bug and not apply any security fixes or bring new enhancements.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.