Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guustavooo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2013
Just wondering. I'm going to NY in November and have a chance to buy a new one. Question is: worth it?

EDIT: Worth noting: my battery is going dead. I can barely get 2~3 hours. Coconut says it holds 74% of the initial charge.

Last edited:

iAppl3Fan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
Just wondering. I'm going to NY in November and have a chance to buy a new one. Question is: worth it?

EDIT: Worth noting: my battery is going dead. I can barely get 2~3 hours. Coconut says it holds 74% of the initial charge.

Yes, get a new one.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Depends on what you need. I replaced my 2011 MBA with a 2013 11" i7/8gb/512gb MBA and am very happy. USB3, 8gb and 512gb are all new features that weren't available in 2011. I see noticeable improvements in latency using Logic Pro and rendering in Final Cut Pro.

But when I had them side by side while setting up, I was surprised how little difference there was in "ordinary" tasks (iTunes, Safari, MS Office, even Photoshop). So unless you are using pro applications (or maybe games?... I don't do those), you may not notice much of a performance increase. I never noticed much of a problem with 4gb on my 2011 machine, and I hadn't filled my 256gb SSD however it's nice to have 8gb/512gb now. If you want either of these, then it makes sense.

I don't know about the battery. I was able to get through a 12 hour day with my 2011 machine using common sense power management. And I was getting 4 or 5 hours even with the screen on full and a movie playing. How much does a battery replacement cost?

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
U seem to be implying replacing the current's battery is not in the cards, in that case go4rit.

How should we know if it is worth it TO YOU?

I have a 2011 too and my battery still gets me through the day and everything works. Am in the lazy school of Dont fix it if ain't broken.

Miltz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2013
Personally I would get a new battery and Mavericks. Those two combined will make your laptop feel better than new.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009

would you rather have your $1500 or so or a new Macbook? if you can answer that question you'll know if it's "worth it" or not

i know that's not the most helpful post in the sense that it doesn't answer your question, but how can we answer that question for you?

i would definitely go play with one in the store first and see if there's a big difference (which there is) but only you can decide if that's worth it or not... i tend to keep computers longer than 2 years but others upgrade more regularly.

guustavooo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2013
Thanks for the help, guys!

I should just get a battery replacement. Quick question: If I do so, I get a better battery than my 2011 one or is it just the same?

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Thanks for the help, guys!

I should just get a battery replacement. Quick question: If I do so, I get a better battery than my 2011 one or is it just the same?

I would do it through Apple, that way you know you are good for the next 2 years. Then ask them wether the new 2013 battery, which has a slightly higher capacity (not huge) will fit in the 2011.

A few years ago I would suggest a third party battery, a lot cheaper, but they ended up not lasting as long, so long term $ per capacity, they are not cheaper.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.