Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
ok so im a sophomore, and I'm going to this girls party tonight. i don't really know what to do or say lol. theres gonna be beer... and this girl i like is going. so i thought it would be as good of a place as any to ask: how was your first high school party? and what did you do there?

side note: i'm responsible and am going to stay away from the beer.

krazykleo

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2013
Everywhere and nowhere
My first high school party was in grade 8. I didn't drink in high school and I had a blast at the party. Just chilled, talked to everyone since it was a new experience. A couple of people offered me drinks but I refused and was adamant that I wouldn't drink. I had a great time because I was just being myself and talked to a lot of different people!!!

Good luck and don't be afraid to talk to the girls ;) go get em tiger!! But also on that note don't act like an idiot either haha. be yourself.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
ok so im a sophomore, and I'm going to this girls party tonight. i don't really know what to do or say lol. theres gonna be beer... and this girl i like is going. so i thought it would be as good of a place as any to ask: how was your first high school party? and what did you do there?

I went to my first HS age party about 53 years ago...so I'm right up on the latest!

So here's my advice...don't pick your nose, don't use expressions like "the bees knees and "23 skidoo", and don't scratch you know where!

And remember...everyone else will be as uncomfortable as you might feel, and are trying to cover it up just as you are. Try, as best you can, to just be yourself...any act you might try to put on will have to be abandoned eventually, so just be who you are.

You said you will stay away from the beer...that's a very smart idea, if for no other reason (and there are many other reasons to avoid it at this point) than when you get loaded you think no one knows and you are being really cool...and you will just be a jerk.

Finally...just have a great time! Very exciting time in your life.:D

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
Talk to the girls first and then go for the beer.
Most people do it the other way 'round, which doesn't work...

leftywamumonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
California
If you don't want to drink, rather than telling people that, you should create the image that you're already drinking beer by holding a plastic cup full of a non-alcoholic beverage. That way, people won't pressure you into drinking and you won't look like the guy who doesn't like to have fun.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
Stay away from the alcohol. And maybe if these guys need to drink to have fun at the age of 15, they might not be good people to hang out with in the first place. I might sound ridiculous now, but there are plenty of fun people to hang out with that don't drink.

Anyway, just have fun, be yourself, and don't hesitate on the girls, there's no time like now. ;)

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
I went to my first HS age party about 53 years ago...so I'm right up on the latest!

So here's my advice...don't pick your nose, don't use expressions like "the bees knees and "23 skidoo", and don't scratch you know where!

And remember...everyone else will be as uncomfortable as you might feel, and are trying to cover it up just as you are. Try, as best you can, to just be yourself...any act you might try to put on will have to be abandoned eventually, so just be who you are.

You said you will stay away from the beer...that's a very smart idea, if for no other reason (and there are many other reasons to avoid it at this point) than when you get loaded you think no one knows and you are being really cool...and you will just be a jerk.

Finally...just have a great time! Very exciting time in your life.:D

These down-to-earth. sensitive, and insightful posts is what makes you one of my favorite contributors.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
A cup of beer won't hurt ya if you just want to see what it's like. Unless you weigh like 80 pounds you aren't going to feel much.

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
the answer is not 42, it's the quote below.

Shrink said:
23 skidoo, and don't scratch you know where!

this. is. the. answer. to everything.

and what i tell my kids on a daily basis as it happens. :)

that, and avoid the alcohol. it make a bad situation worse, and then you spend the rest of your days wishing that you didn't. or so i heard.

so don't and save yourself the trouble. and then laugh at everyone else. yay highschool.

3lite

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2011
Whether the party was boring or fun, the next day at school everyone who went is going to exaggerate how great it was to the ones who didn't go.

Renzatic

Suspended
Whether the party was boring or fun, the next day at school everyone who went is going to exaggerate how great it was to the ones who didn't go.

This. I've been to maybe big 6 parties during my high school career, and only one was truly worth talking about. The rest? They were about like any other day, except there were a lot of people.

Oh, and considering you're a sophomore, I should warn you that there's always at least one person in every group of friend who will go to a party, drink exactly one beer, no more, no less, then spend the rest of the night talking about how drunk they are. Prepare yourself, for it is obnoxious.

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007

Whatever you do at this or future parties, I urge you not to have a cigarette. I'm still smoking 15 years later.

citizenzen

macrumors 68000
Mar 22, 2010
The problem with high school parties—if they're still like the parties I attended ~34 years ago—is that they always seemed to involve music cranked up to volumes that got in the way of any conversation beyond ...

I love this band. They are so cool.

What?

I SAID I LOVE THIS BAND! THEY ARE SO COOL!

Yeah. Cool.

What?

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
I would say drink, but just one.
you don't want to be the only kid there not holding a cup....

I was at a high school party where I as the only guy not holding a cup. I've never felt the need to fit in with the crowd. I have always been a rebel. I leave the toilet seat up; I tear the tags off mattresses; I write run on sentences. Total rebel.:D

Besides, first time beer drinker always make that comical face.
hqdefault.jpg

Yeah, stay away from the beer.

Geezers like me can drink...alot. You can always tell how good a party was by the aftermath. It's not a good party unless someone wakes up with a traffic cone and a garter belt.;)

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Someone is bound to get drunk and pass out. Make sure you are prepared and bring a razor (one eyebrow only) and a permanent marker pen.:D

When I was young and getting drunk at parties I didn't have to worry about video's or even cameras really. Where as I could laugh off the stupid things I did when drunk, there will be a permanent record of yours circulating round the school faster than you can say 'through up all over the dean'!

Don't be that kid. Take others advise and have a good time, talk to people, have fun but don't get drunk!

Too many of my school memories are rather hazy due to alcohol consumption.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
I grew up when anyone could 'drinking ' was after the age of 18. Then the suburban types in Washington withheld Federal Road funds to States if they didn't raise the age to 21. In my State my older brother jokes now with his kids he was legal 3 different times. My old State first raised to 19 (Dec. 31) then the next year the State raised it to 21 years on him, but furloughed him. So when I went to College it still was easy because all of the upper classmen could still go to bars because it was a mess with all the furloughed people around still.

Luck you kids didn't go through this kind of social engineering. :mad:

Sythas

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
Québec, Canada
Remember when you are at the party, you're not there because you want that girl, and I don't think it's the place to ask her to be that girl...

But it's a nice place to show that you might be interested. Don't forget, there's a lot of special girl and you are that boy to some girl.

I am happy there was no camera around when I was partying... Thx !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.