Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erure

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
I went on Verizon Wireless website today and saw that you can upgrade your phone and keep the unlimited data plan. I pre-ordered the Note 3 for my stepfather and it worked -- it says unlimited data for 29.99 on the order confirmation email. I don't know if this is a deliberate decision of the company to allow for this or if it is a website error, but I suggest people take advantage of this immediately in case they take it back. Also make sure you keep screenshots and the order confirmation email for evidence lol. I'm going to return my iPhone 5s to the apple store and repurchase it through Verizon -- I wanted a gold one instead of my silver one anyway haha.

edit: The unlimited data discounted upgrade glitch is no longer working. For those of us that took a leap of faith, let's hope Verizon will honor the terms of our orders/pre-orders.

edit: VERIZON WILL HONOR THE DISCOUNTED UPGRADES AND LET US KEEP UNLIMITED. BEST NEWS EVER!

Last edited:

erure

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Here's the order confirmation email I received.

uBkqcMv.png

user-name-here

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2013
I went on Verizon Wireless website today and saw that you can upgrade your phone and keep the unlimited data plan. I pre-ordered the Note 3 for my stepfather and it worked -- it says unlimited data for 29.99 on the order confirmation email. I don't know if this is a deliberate decision of the company to allow for this or if it is a website error, but I suggest people take advantage of this immediately in case they take it back. Also make sure you keep screenshots and the order confirmation email for evidence lol. I'm going to return my iPhone 5s to the apple store and repurchase it through Verizon -- I wanted a gold one instead of my silver one anyway haha.

:eek:

Seems like a system glitch. Can anyone else here confirm?

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Others have confirmed this on slick deals and Howard forums
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1812091-Upgrade-and-keep-Unlimited-Data-glitch-working-now

I don't think it a glitch. Verizon knows what's it doing.

The number of unlimited users on verizon has slowly been declining. Verizon would rather lock more people into 2 year contracts and let unlimited continue for those few with unlimited.

JoshGlzBrk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2009
Doesn't matter vow advertises unlimited and they will have to honor it as long as the contract is renewed on this basis.

No they don't. Data plans are features on the line. Features can be added, removed, and changed at will. They are not under contract.

If Verizon wanted to, they could switch all unlimited users to a limited plan right now even if they're still in a contract.

As for OP, the unlimited plan does not drop off until a subsidized device is activated on a line with an unlimited plan. If the OP had transferred the upgrade to another line on their family plan (if they have one) and then activate it on that other line, unlimited data would have been preserved. And then you could just switch the phone to your line after.

But I can confirm, whatever glitch this is, does indeed seem to be working in regards to allowing you to select unlimited.

o01HjjY.png

erure

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Yeah I don't know if it's a website glitch or if it's a deliberate decision made by Verizon to allow for this, but I already went for it and if they take away my unlimited, well, I'll just return it within the 2 weeks and eat the restocking fee. It's worth the risk imo.

mac.cali

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
Nice find. Hopefully it sticks! If not you can call them on their error. Hopefully unlimited data doesn't go anywhere anytime soon.

erure

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Oh, P.S. this glitch or whatever it is does not apply to apple store website. If I had to decide between the two, I'd buy from apple directly any day, but they force you to pick a different data plan.

TSX

macrumors 68030
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
Yeah I don't know if it's a website glitch or if it's a deliberate decision made by Verizon to allow for this, but I already went for it and if they take away my unlimited, well, I'll just return it within the 2 weeks and eat the restocking fee. It's worth the risk imo.

By renewing your contract with unlimited data they have to honor it, just like they expect you to honor your 2 year commitment to them.

JoshGlzBrk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2009
Something else that's interesting to note. They are now allowing you to select the old style individual/family plans rather than share everything when creating a new account.

You just have to uncheck the box that says "Share voice and data" and hit next and it gives you this:

5nDtNnM.png

HankHowdy

macrumors 68040
Dec 2, 2012
Victorville CA
Verizon Unlimited Data Upgrade Available on Website

This is amazing, why do you suppose they are allowing this?

Shoot I might get a 5C now.

HankHowdy

macrumors 68040
Dec 2, 2012
Victorville CA
I just tried to order a 5C and it said I would have to en my UD plan and chose a tiered data plan.

I think it's done folks. Nothing to see here.

erure

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Hrm. I tried it on another line and it still works for me. I called up my local Verizon store and the person I spoke to was absolutely clueless about the whole thing; she just kept telling me that it has to be a mistake and that it'll probably switch to 2gb automatically when you activate. I'm still going to keep my order and see what happens. I'll keep you guys updated when my stepfather's Galaxy Note 3 arrives.

HankHowdy

macrumors 68040
Dec 2, 2012
Victorville CA
Hrm. I tried it on another line and it still works for me. I called up my local Verizon store and the person I spoke to was absolutely clueless about the whole thing; she just kept telling me that it has to be a mistake and that it'll probably switch to 2gb automatically when you activate. I'm still going to keep my order and see what happens. I'll keep you guys updated when my stepfather's Galaxy Note 3 arrives.

Perhaps this glitch is only working for certain phones? So far I have only seen this working on Notes.

erure

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Perhaps this glitch is only working for certain phones? So far I have only seen this working on Notes.

Maybe it's only working for certain lines? It worked for my stepfather who's using a Droid RAZR and it worked for me (my case is kind of weird because I'm using a 5s and I "upgraded" to a 5s, planning on returning the 5s soon). :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.