Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 28, 2013, 07:10 PM   #1
bhags8
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Verizon $25/month plan for 6gb of data?

I just had to call Verizon to activate my iphone and I am a current unlimited data customer. They mentioned to me that they are offering 6gb of data for $25 or $30 a month to unlimited data customers and that you CAN use subsidized pricing on upgrades. She told me the caller right before me was the first person to switch and I would have been second. Since I just paid roughly $800 for the phone I told them maybe next phone. Has anyone heard about this? It doesnt sound too bad, I THINK it was $29.99/month for 6gb of data.
bhags8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2013, 07:25 PM   #2
user-name-here
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhags8 View Post
I just had to call Verizon to activate my iphone and I am a current unlimited data customer. They mentioned to me that they are offering 6gb of data for $25 or $30 a month to unlimited data customers and that you CAN use subsidized pricing on upgrades. She told me the caller right before me was the first person to switch and I would have been second. Since I just paid roughly $800 for the phone I told them maybe next phone. Has anyone heard about this? It doesnt sound too bad, I THINK it was $29.99/month for 6gb of data.


Seems too good to be true. Can anyone else here confirm this?
user-name-here is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2013, 07:28 PM   #3
bhags8
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by user-name-here View Post


Seems too good to be true. Can anyone else here confirm this?
I think its only for current unlimited customers....
bhags8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2013, 07:33 PM   #4
Namji
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Yep all true. Got a email the other day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	520
Size:	205.2 KB
ID:	437002  
__________________
2013 iPhone 5S Space Gray on VZW - 64GB
2010 15" Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz, Intel Core i5, 4GB Memory, 320GB hard drive.
2012 Apple TV. 2012 iPad Mini Silver 32GB. 2010 iPhone 4 Black on VZW - 32GB
Namji is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2013, 07:36 PM   #5
617aircav
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
so pay $30 for 6gb or keep $30 for unlimited. No brainer.
617aircav is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2013, 07:38 PM   #6
kerrikins
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
I'd make sure you know how much data you use on LTE before switching.
kerrikins is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2013, 07:41 PM   #7
user-name-here
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by 617aircav View Post
so pay $30 for 6gb or keep $30 for unlimited. No brainer.
Did you even read the OP?

This is 6GB of data PLUS subsidized upgrades (a $450 value) every two years.

If anything it seems like a no brainer to go with the 6GB + upgrades to me.
user-name-here is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2013, 07:45 PM   #8
aneftp
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
I believe this promo tries to force people to their EDGE plans.

I seen others state it's an EDGE promo.
aneftp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2013, 07:47 PM   #9
Irock619
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: San Francisco, CA
Wow I'm paying $25 a month for 2GB of data and no mobile hotspot on AT&T! I'm seriously thinking about switching to Verizon.
__________________
MacBook Pro 15" 2011 (Mavericks) w/Crucial SSD, 8GB RAM iPhone 5s 32GB iTouch 3G iPad Mini Retina
Irock619 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2013, 07:49 PM   #10
cnotes2019
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
This is Verizon's max program....


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
cnotes2019 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2013, 07:50 PM   #11
Namji
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irock619 View Post
Wow I'm paying $25 a month for 2GB of data and no mobile hotspot on AT&T! I'm seriously thinking about switching to Verizon.
I believe this promotion is for Existing VZW customer with unlimited data plan.
__________________
2013 iPhone 5S Space Gray on VZW - 64GB
2010 15" Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz, Intel Core i5, 4GB Memory, 320GB hard drive.
2012 Apple TV. 2012 iPad Mini Silver 32GB. 2010 iPhone 4 Black on VZW - 32GB
Namji is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2013, 08:00 PM   #12
macsrcool1234
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
I thought this was for the EDGE plan, he had unlimited and took the EDGE plan and received this data plan.
macsrcool1234 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2013, 08:25 PM   #13
baypharm
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by user-name-here View Post
Did you even read the OP?

This is 6GB of data PLUS subsidized upgrades (a $450 value) every two years.

If anything it seems like a no brainer to go with the 6GB + upgrades to me.
I disagree. I use way more than 50gb and I only pay $29/mo - unlimited. I don't give a flying f if I have to pay $700 for a phone. Verizon is out to screw its customers by enticing them to get off of unlimited plans - they are greedy b's and I for one will not switch. Verizon is making more $$$ than God so at least I can say I am getting my $29 worth.
baypharm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2013, 08:33 PM   #14
Tee00max
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Yeah I was actually on the unlimited plan myself and on launch day I went in and was going to change to the 5gb data plan, the rep told me that they can offer me 6gb for the same price I was paying now. Good deal to me since I never go over 4gb data anyways.
Tee00max is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2013, 08:34 PM   #15
user-name-here
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by baypharm View Post
I don't give a flying f if I have to pay $700 for a phone.
Most customers don't fall under this statement. I'm glad you can pay $700 cash for a phone contract free but I would assume most customers don't use their smartphone data plan as their home wifi substitute and would rather pay $199 for a smartphone instead, to which this 6GB plan is great for.
user-name-here is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2013, 08:35 PM   #16
bhags8
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Im thinking of doing it. I use anywhere from 8-12 gb a month. I could cut back and use 6gb a month and still get to upgrade at lower prices. Been paying full retail for my last few phones. My plan is too good to give up, just wanted to know if you guys think its worth it?
bhags8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2013, 08:48 PM   #17
Tortri
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhags8 View Post
Im thinking of doing it. I use anywhere from 8-12 gb a month. I could cut back and use 6gb a month and still get to upgrade at lower prices. Been paying full retail for my last few phones. My plan is too good to give up, just wanted to know if you guys think its worth it?
No, data usage will only increase over the years like it always has. Verizon saw(they were turning into an ISP) this and got rid of unlimited to screw the customer and bank off of overages.
Tortri is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2013, 08:52 PM   #18
jdag
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhags8 View Post
Im thinking of doing it. I use anywhere from 8-12 gb a month. I could cut back and use 6gb a month and still get to upgrade at lower prices. Been paying full retail for my last few phones. My plan is too good to give up, just wanted to know if you guys think its worth it?
You are using 8-12 and really think it would be that easy to cut 25-50%? I think that's a huge assumption.
jdag is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2013, 09:17 PM   #19
bhags8
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdag View Post
You are using 8-12 and really think it would be that easy to cut 25-50%? I think that's a huge assumption.
Yeah. I could use wifi at home. I use data everywhere because I dont need to worry. I also used to download torrents on my android phone, cant do that on my new iphone. I think I would average about 5-6 gb now.
bhags8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2013, 09:20 PM   #20
jdag
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhags8 View Post
Yeah. I could use wifi at home. I use data everywhere because I dont need to worry. I also used to download torrents on my android phone, cant do that on my new iphone. I think I would average about 5-6 gb now.
OK, that makes more sense. I inferred from your initial post that you'd just commit to "watching your activity". But if you are always using cellular, even at home and can leverage WiFi, I am sure that would cut a ton.
jdag is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2013, 09:31 PM   #21
D4Fox
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhags8 View Post
Im thinking of doing it. I use anywhere from 8-12 gb a month. I could cut back and use 6gb a month and still get to upgrade at lower prices. Been paying full retail for my last few phones. My plan is too good to give up, just wanted to know if you guys think its worth it?
Why go through the stress of watching your data and possibly unable to update a simple because you might go over. How about you find out how much verizon will milk for every GB you go over. They just cant milk you now that giving up your unlimited just so you can get a phone every two years at a lower price is not worth it to me.

I think you should try to keep your unlimited at all cost until verizon find a way to take it away from you.
D4Fox is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2013, 12:30 PM   #22
bhags8
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by D4Fox View Post
Why go through the stress of watching your data and possibly unable to update a simple because you might go over. How about you find out how much verizon will milk for every GB you go over. They just cant milk you now that giving up your unlimited just so you can get a phone every two years at a lower price is not worth it to me.

I think you should try to keep your unlimited at all cost until verizon find a way to take it away from you.

I plan on keeping it but it sucks shelling out $800 for the latest and the greatest. I bet there's something in small fine print that let's them screw you over somehow.
bhags8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2013, 01:25 PM   #23
flipdippy
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
I agree with others who say keep the unlimited.

Fact is - the high margin high growth in smartphones is over. At this point, anyone who wants one has one. The only ones who don't have one either don't want one, can't afford one, or would rather go prepaid.

Toss in the fact VoLTE is getting nearer and that every passing month T-Mo and Sprint become better networks, and the future means that:

1. Keeping people on contracts is extremely important for VZW/ATT, because
2. Prices are definitely going to go down as T-Mo and Sprint become more competitive and have to attract new customers on price if the networks and devices are on par, and
3. Once VoLTE is real, the only thing you're going to pay for is data.

So keep your plan, smile, and wait for the day in the next 6-18 months where a really better option becomes available from VZW before you agree to a new contract.
flipdippy is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2013, 03:43 PM   #24
bhags8
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipdippy View Post
I agree with others who say keep the unlimited.

Fact is - the high margin high growth in smartphones is over. At this point, anyone who wants one has one. The only ones who don't have one either don't want one, can't afford one, or would rather go prepaid.

Toss in the fact VoLTE is getting nearer and that every passing month T-Mo and Sprint become better networks, and the future means that:

1. Keeping people on contracts is extremely important for VZW/ATT, because
2. Prices are definitely going to go down as T-Mo and Sprint become more competitive and have to attract new customers on price if the networks and devices are on par, and
3. Once VoLTE is real, the only thing you're going to pay for is data.

So keep your plan, smile, and wait for the day in the next 6-18 months where a really better option becomes available from VZW before you agree to a new contract.
Thank you sir. Sounds good.
bhags8 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2013, 06:36 PM   #25
campingsk8er
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Southern Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by 617aircav View Post
so pay $30 for 6gb or keep $30 for unlimited. No brainer.
Yeah, I will never move away from unlimited. I use about 10 gigs a month.
campingsk8er is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AT&T to Introduce $5 Per Day 250MB iPad Data Passes, $25 3-Month 1GB Data Plan MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 186 Jan 13, 2014 02:28 AM
used 90% of data plan in first half of month?!? redhawk87 iPhone 9 Jan 1, 2014 02:49 PM
Carrier: AT&T $5 Per Day 250MB iPad Data Passes, $25 3-Month 1GB Data Plan AnglerDan iPad 6 Nov 16, 2013 03:49 PM
Carrier: Verizon 5s month to month plan Sun wind iPhone 11 Oct 17, 2013 10:03 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:25 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC