Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 29, 2013, 03:16 AM   #1
badman89
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
FaceTime audio on iPhone 4

I was really excited about the new FaceTime audio feature in ios 7 until I noticed today that iPhone 4 users are not allowed to use this feature on 3G (it's wifi only). Does anybody know why this restriction exists?
badman89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2013, 03:25 AM   #2
user-name-here
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
AT&T recently lifted the restriction (even on unlimited data users) to facetime over 3G/4G.

Which carrier are you on?
user-name-here is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2013, 04:44 AM   #3
Azy
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
FaceTime had always been restricted to wifi on the 4, no differnt with FaceTime audio I believe.
Azy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2013, 09:31 AM   #4
Blorzoga
macrumors 68020
 
Blorzoga's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azy View Post
FaceTime had always been restricted to wifi on the 4, no differnt with FaceTime audio I believe.
It would make more sense to only restrict FaceTime video to wifi only. I assume the restriction is due to the low data speed on the 4 and 4s. It makes no sense to restrict FaceTime audio, however. I can't believe the data speed couldn't handle it.
Blorzoga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2013, 09:46 AM   #5
rdy0329
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blorzoga View Post
It would make more sense to only restrict FaceTime video to wifi only. I assume the restriction is due to the low data speed on the 4 and 4s. It makes no sense to restrict FaceTime audio, however. I can't believe the data speed couldn't handle it.
It's not just about the data speed, the 3G module in your phone is only HSDPA 7.2mbps which have higher ping times (90-100ms lowest) thus making VoIP calls have delay, I think apple doesn't want that. Have you tried skyping over 3G? how is it? Just for comparison's sake.

HSPA+ have better ping times 50ms-100ms
rdy0329 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2013, 11:21 AM   #6
badman89
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdy0329 View Post
It's not just about the data speed, the 3G module in your phone is only HSDPA 7.2mbps which have higher ping times (90-100ms lowest) thus making VoIP calls have delay, I think apple doesn't want that. Have you tried skyping over 3G? how is it? Just for comparison's sake.

HSPA+ have better ping times 50ms-100ms
Yes, I've used Skype (audio only) on 3G, and it's perfectly fine. I don't understand why Apple won't allow it with FaceTime.
badman89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2013, 02:35 PM   #7
Azy
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
It's only avaliable from 4S onwards. I personally think it was more to get people to upgrade to 4s than anything else but yeah 4 doesn't have as good 3G potential performance
Azy is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2013, 07:17 PM   #8
rdy0329
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by badman89 View Post
Yes, I've used Skype (audio only) on 3G, and it's perfectly fine. I don't understand why Apple won't allow it with FaceTime.
Either: They couldn't risk it or *greed*. You pick.
rdy0329 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2013, 10:19 PM   #9
Spectrum Abuser
macrumors 65816
 
Spectrum Abuser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by user-name-here View Post
AT&T recently lifted the restriction (even on unlimited data users) to facetime over 3G/4G.

Which carrier are you on?
That's not true. I still can't facetime over the 3G network on my iPhone 4 with a grandfathered unlimited data plan on AT&T.
__________________
iPad Mini Retina 16GB WiFi - iPhone 4 16GB (AT&T) - 21.5" iMac 2.5Ghz i5 (2011)
Spectrum Abuser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2013, 10:22 PM   #10
user-name-here
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrum Abuser View Post
That's not true. I still can't facetime over the 3G network on my iPhone 4 with a grandfathered unlimited data plan on AT&T.
Strange, guess it's just dependent on which model iPhone you have

My mistake, I could do it on my 4s so I made an assumption I shouldn't have

Guess it's kind of like how the 4 is capable of running Siri... but they hold back that capability for the 4s and onward.
user-name-here is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPhone Facetime video/audio call log issue. aajeevlin iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 0 Mar 20, 2014 12:43 AM
General: FaceTime Audio only works if both parties have FaceTime Audio. moonman239 iOS 7 24 Oct 24, 2013 11:16 AM
Audio facetime over 3G/LTE is supported in iPhone 4? Tgartzia iOS 7 12 Oct 16, 2013 03:01 PM
FaceTime audio on iPhone 4 saberahul iOS 7 8 Oct 7, 2013 08:46 AM
FaceTime audio jas2quick iOS 7 10 Sep 19, 2013 07:03 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:08 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC