Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BR3W

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2010
I'm not sure if this is intended behavior in 10.9 because I can't remember it happening in 10.8 (and my partner's macbook air on 10.8 doesn't exhibit this issue), but whenever I use FaceTime other video sounds become reduced.

I would like to be able to FaceTime while I'm watching a youtube or hbogo show but the sound is always too low. Is this normal behavior in 10.9 and is there any way to stop it from occurring?

BR3W

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2010
can someone test this please and let me know if it's occurring normally or not?

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Whenever I'm using DP8 Mavericks, I can't hear my wife's audio when she facetimes me from her 10.8 machine. My iPhone picks her up just fine so I know it's not on her end.

I'm not sure when this began in 10.9. I haven't used FaceTime before DP8.

BR3W

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2010
The issue I'm describing is different.

Everything is fine during FaceTime calls. When I want to play a video or sound it is nearly muted and the FaceTime audio is all that I can hear.

So now I can't FaceTime while watching a video with someone (like if I want to watch a movie with someone over FaceTime).

kwokaaron

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2013
London, UK
I don't think this is a bug. I believe they implemented the dynamic volume reduction so you would be able to FaceTime without having the end user fiddling around with volumes in other apps. Obviously this is an annoyance. The only method right now is to use another app like Skype instead.

figgers

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2013
Havent been able to update yet to the new GM released this weekend. Wonder if this bug/feature was fixed/removed? Anyone?

BR3W

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2010
Havent been able to update yet to the new GM released this weekend. Wonder if this bug/feature was fixed/removed? Anyone?
it's not fixed because it seems to be intended behavior :(

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Argh I absolutely hate this! I've been using gmail video for a very long time and their new "force" to use hangouts kills the computer (uses like 160% processing power).

Tried facetime and it lowers volume in all other apps…. anyone know how to fix? I want to be able to watch movies and video with my wife at the same time…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.