Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nutella

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2003
(sorry if this has been covered already, but i thought i'd share)

i just got off the phone with the apple store in miami and was told that starting december 9 applecare can be purchased at the store and will be valid in florida.

i'm still debating whether to buy it, but i'm sure this is good news for some!

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Yes, it would be nice, if it were available everywhere, especially after I've been complaining for the last 6 years. :D So, now that I'm moving out of the state, it would make sense that it's available finally.

Nutella

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2003
the guy at the apple store said to wait till dec 9 to purchase it in the store. he wasn't sure if it would be available via the website.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
It's about time.

You can buy extended warranties from any other computer company online and any electronics store down here as a Florida resident. I don't understand why Apple is the lone exception. If there's a law preventing them from doing it, maybe they should talk to these other companies that sell them because obviously they found some kind of loophole long ago.

I'm so sick of calling Apple for warranty service and having the following happen:

Apple: "Well the parts are still under warranty, but it's going to cost $XX for phone support. If you had purchased AppleCare however..."

Me: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Me: "I live in Florida."

Apple: "Oh. Sorry."

Me: :mad: :mad: :mad:

You'd think they'd at least give FL residents a break since they're unable to buy support. Anyway, good -- this means I'll be able to buy AppleCare for my iPod before it goes out of warranty next year.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Other companies, like HP who offered an extended iPod warranty in Floriduh, cut deals with 3rd parties to supply the insurance money somehow. Apple has had that option available for a very long time but I'm sure they don't want to pay...they only want to sell.

Considering the number of retail stores they've opened in this state, they should have addressed the matter in 2001 instead of 2005.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
groan

Just another reason to hate living in this state...tourists, heat and humidity, and no AppleCare. Hopefully not for long.

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
MattG said:
groan

Just another reason to hate living in this state...tourists, heat and humidity, and no AppleCare. Hopefully not for long.

Then again, there are no icy roads in the winter... and it sure is nice not having state/city tax. Depending on where you are in the state, there are sporadic signs of culture and some decent ethnic food restaurants.

*shrug* I used to hate living here... then I tried Ohio, and after that mildly horrible experience, Florida doesn't seem so bad.

(of course, if it were completely up to me, I'd be living in Oregon, Washington state, or perhaps Maine or Vermont... my wife isn't about to move again for a long time though, so FL it is)

AJ Muni

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2005
Miami
MattG said:
groan

Where the hell are you guys living in florida?? Man life couldnt be better for me here in miami, the warm weather, good sports, amazing night life and beautiful women. Im not even including the beaches and all the different cultures. I kno people that would kill to live here, and not worry about shoveling snow every morning. lol that sux..and cold weather...geez...atleast people here waiting outside for thier xboxes didnt freeze their asses off..

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
AJ Muni said:
Where the hell are you guys living in florida?? Man life couldnt be better for me here in miami, the warm weather, good sports, amazing night life and beautiful women. Im not even including the beaches and all the different cultures. I kno people that would kill to live here, and not worry about shoveling snow every morning. lol that sux..and cold weather...geez...atleast people here waiting outside for thier xboxes didnt freeze their asses off..

The weather in Central Floriduh is the only good thing. This is the most backward state where I've lived--including CA, VA, IN, OH, and PA.

Miami isn't a bad area, but they need to turn off the Spanish and speak English. It is part of the U.S.A., not Latin America, after all.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
AJ Muni said:
Where the hell are you guys living in florida??

Naples, where in season, it takes me 1/2 hour to make the 10 mile drive to my home after work. Where it's hot, humid and disgusting 10 months out of the year. Plus the fact that I live in a state that's about as red as they come.

Anyway, getting off topic here...

AJ Muni

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2005
Miami
well after seeing your locations....figures u guys feel like that...im all confused about the applecare in florida thing...what we couldnt get apple care here?? and why???

JeDiBoYTJ

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2004
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
bousozoku said:
Miami isn't a bad area, but they need to turn off the Spanish and speak English. It is part of the U.S.A., not Latin America, after all.

Miami isnt a bad area? I absolutely dispise Miami. I live in fort lauderdale, and travel to miami every day for school... AHH! I hate it! Maybes its just the areas I go to, but I find the whole county of Miami-Dade to be a discusting place. Even the nice places like Aventura are turning into pieces of junk like the rest of the city.

and yes... the spanish NEED TO LEARN ENGLISH!!

ok, sorry about the short rant :p

but yeah, ive always hated how extended applecare warrenties arnt available in florida (damn hurricane insurance scams ruining everything... and of course, that all started in miami... not to mention all the fema money it got last year for all the hurricanes that never hit :rolleyes: causing everyone elses insurance rates to go up :mad: ... sorry, i just have a hatred for 'meyami')

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
AJ Muni said:
well after seeing your locations....figures u guys feel like that...im all confused about the applecare in florida thing...what we couldnt get apple care here?? and why???

Since Floriduh's legislature is stupid, they put together a stupid law to protect stupid seniors, rather than attacking the actual problem, which was crooked business. After all, they work for business, not the people who live in Floriduh.

Anyway, Apple, or any other company, needs to put away the total amount of the purchase in a special account and leave it there for the life of the extended warranty to support any consumer purchases. Apple has refused to put away the money or work with a 3rd party to support Floriduh consumers. It doesn't seem to be a protest against the law--they're just being frugal with their money. It's not enough to swear off buying Apple products, but it's certainly sad to see that they don't care. Business is business and people are customers and customers are not friends nor family.

JeDiBoYTJ:

I actually love Miami. If I'd gone there first, I would be living there instead of the Orlando area. It was friendly, unlike most everywhere else in the state.

Jestered

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Austin, Texas
As long as it was not a personal purchase you could get AppleCare in Florida. All you had to do is say that you were buying it for your business. If it is a business purchase then AppleCare is available. I think the whole thing was pretty stupid, but there was a way around it. Maybe you Floridians won't have to worry about that much longer.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
MattG said:
groan

You forgot all the old people clogging the roads and making it seem like a day without Metamucil. :(

ddrueckhammer

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2004
America's Wang
This sucks for me...My powerbook will be 2 years old in April and I didn't purchase Applecare because they told me I couldn't in this state. Luckily, my hard-drive went out when it was still under the 1 year warranty. Hopefully, nothing breaks worse than a hard-drive in the next year and a half or I will be mad because I wasn't even given an option for an extended warranty. I have seriously been thinking about trading in for a new Mac just for the new warranty.

Nutella

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2003
LOL i didn't expect this to turn into a florida bashing thread! :eek:

but while we're at it, aside from all the other aspects of this wretched state that everyone already mentioned...

the hurricanes :(
and
not being able to ship wine into the state :( :(

MacAficionado

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2002
An awesome place
Miami has been rated one of the rudest, if not the rudest city of the U.S. recently.

After living here for for almost 10 years, I'm bailing out as soon as possible. I HATE MIAMI. Miami is the sewer of the U.S. And yes I'm hispanic.

Just needed to take the opportunity and vent.:eek: Thanks!

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
MacAficionado said:
Miami has been rated one of the rudest, if not the rudest city of the U.S. recently.

After living here for for almost 10 years, I'm bailing out as soon as possible. I HATE MIAMI. Miami is the sewer of the U.S. And yes I'm hispanic.

Just needed to take the opportunity and vent.:eek: Thanks!

I don't understand how Miami can be ruder than Orlando. I suppose it's that I haven't seen all of Miami and I have seen pretty much all of this area but still, people in Miami were extremely friendly in English or Spanish. I wish I could say that about Orlando.

Nutella:

The hurricanes aren't the worst part of the state.

Dunepilot

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2002
UK
Florida

I have to say that I'm a fan of Florida, as a non-resident. I have some good friends who live there, and had a great time in Orlando last January. The food is good and good value (try buying lobster in the UK and then you'll understand the meaning of expensive); you can live in a palatial house for not much money (in UK terms); Orlando has a great little music scene with some great bands and the people are actually pretty enthusiastic for live music (plus it has Park Ave Records, one of the nicest record shops I've ever been to).

I'm going back on the 28th December for a wedding. I can't wait.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.