Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fanboy05

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
This morning I received an email stating a new device had downloaded 2 apps that had not previously been tied to my itunes account. and that the purchases were done from china.

I did not authorize the apps and had no idea they were downloaded.

I went to my itunes account and looked at my purchased apps history. It said I hadnt downloaded anything since the 24th.

I looked at my phone , ONE of the apps that was on the list WAS ON MY PHONE! :eek:

I went to itunes and it DOESNT show that either app mentioned in the email had EVER been downloaded on my account.

I obviously reported the email to apple as a phishing scam, and never clicked on the links in the email and then emailed support about the app that was mentioned in the email. oddly enough the second app the email claimed was downloaded doesnt even seem to exist in the app store.

HOW does an app appear on my iphone and NOT show in the purchase history? I downloaded a different app on my phone to see how long it takes to show in the purchase history, and it showed up on the itunes purchase history right away.

I obviously changed my itunes password, but I am STUMPED as to what is going on!

user-name-here

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2013
This morning I received an email stating a new device had downloaded 2 apps that had not previously been tied to my itunes account. and that the purchases were done from china.

I went to my itunes account and looked at my purchased apps history. It said I hadnt downloaded anything since the 24th.

I looked at my phone , ONE of the apps that was on the list WAS ON MY PHONE! :eek:

I went to itunes and it DOESNT show that either app mentioned in the email had EVER been downloaded on my account.

I obviously reported the email to apple as a phishing scam, and never clicked on the links in the email and then emailed support about the app that was mentioned in the email. oddly enough the second app the email claimed was downloaded doesnt even seem to exist in the app store.

HOW does an app appear on my iphone and NOT show in the purchase history? I downloaded a different app on my phone to see how long it takes to show in the purchase history, and it showed up on the itunes purchase history right away.

I obviously changed my itunes password, but I am STUMPED as to what is going on!

What was the name of the scam app? so others can be aware.

Also, does anyone else you know of have access to your phone?

If I was that stumped about what was going on I'd probably just do a full restore from iTunes.

fanboy05

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
I did a full restore also,

the name of the app that appeared without my permission was split lens 2 -clone yourself in video&photo

and the one that I cant even find in the app storethat the email claims was downloaded was

make illusion video&photo + filters&fx!

riverfreak

macrumors 68000
Jan 10, 2005
Thonglor, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon

Sounds like a social engineering / webhack.

1. Are you sure the app that is on your phone is an app and not, say, a weblink? You still would have needed to confirm it's placement there.

2. Would you have any reason to believe you may have visited a nefarious website?

fanboy05

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
Sounds like a social engineering / webhack.

1. Are you sure the app that is on your phone is an app and not, say, a weblink? You still would have needed to confirm it's placement there.

2. Would you have any reason to believe you may have visited a nefarious website?

i deleted the icon and reset my phone, so i cant check now.
i am sure i didnt put an icon on the screen though and my phone is with me and passcode protected.
i havnt been to any new sites, and dont remember clicking on any pop up ads , but i wasnt thinking to remember any odd stuff either

there has to be something that did this. i just dont know how

Col Ronson

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
i remember 3 years ago someone in China stole like $100 of credit i got on the iTunes store from buying a new macbook and bought a bunch of bogus chinese apps nobody use. Emailed iTunes support and they restored it.

Ever since then i have an extremely long 12+ character password thats super complicated for iTunes. its always been a pain to enter everytime i download a new app, so thank goodness for touch ID.

PaulNY

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2010
I also got an email last week from apple stating someone used my account in Taiwan to buy "Age of Warring Empire Pro" (it shows in my "Purchased>Not on this iPhone" page in AppStore)

I immediately changed my apple id password to a stronger password...woo for TouchID

bluerazr

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2006
The same thing just happened to me too. I just jailbroke my iPhone 5S yesterday straight from the Envision website and didn't download any apps yet I got the email from apple I downloaded this app. Strangely enough the App Store app on my phone shows that the app is wanting to start the download yet on my iPad and iMac it doesn't show any attempt to have bought it. I think the jailbreak may have been hacked by the Chinese. Already changed my passwords...

applepaul

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2014
Same app, split lens 2 happened to me last night. I reset my password using my recovery email address. That seems to be the end of it, I went in and reset a couple other things associated with my email address that I use for Apple, seems to be the end of it I hope.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.