Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 29, 2013, 02:17 PM   #1
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God
 
Shrink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New England, USA
National Coffee Day!

Not I that would really care, but I'm sure some of those coffee snobs out there are probably making a big fuss over it.

You know, the one's who are always talking about how coffee has to be fresh, and all the espresso nit picking stuff.

For me, just a jar of cheap supermarket instant coffee...and I'm a happy man.

So, I'm opening this thread for all those coffee fussbudgets who love to talk about coffee.





Please don't hurt me for mentioning "instant"!
__________________
Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein

Last edited by Shrink; Sep 29, 2013 at 02:30 PM.
Shrink is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2013, 02:24 PM   #2
stiligFox
macrumors 6502a
 
stiligFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: 10.0.1.3
I did not know this!

*he says as he sips his coffee while on lunch break from working in coffee bar*

----------

QUICK! What's your favorite coffee ever? Can include the whole experience, including what was happening that day.

Fave here so far is Alegro Cafe Ubuntu coffee, nice and smooth, although it lacks a certain penguin taste.

Last edited by stiligFox; Sep 29, 2013 at 02:30 PM.
stiligFox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2013, 02:29 PM   #3
Scepticalscribe
Contributor
 
Scepticalscribe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kite flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
Not I that would really care, but I'm sure some of those coffee snobs out there are probably making a big fuss over it.

You know, the one's who are always talking about how coffee has to be fresh, and all the espresso nit picking stuff.

For me, just a jar of cheap supermarket instant coffee...and I'm a happy man.

So, i'm opening this thread for all those coffee fussbudgets who love to talk about coffee.





Please don't hurt me for mentioning "instant"!
Really? Really and truly? Seriously? 'A jar of cheap supermarket instant coffee' and you're a happy man. It is lucky for me that I am not drinking my usual (double) espresso just now, or I would have spluttered in stubborn disbelief, spraying espresso (with a teaspoon of milk on occasion) all over my shirt front (and missing the coffee table, naturally).

Anyway, here's hoping that you have a Very Happy National Coffee Day. Now, I had no idea there was such a thing, but if we must have a national celebration, there are few better things to celebrate than a cup of rich, aromatic, roasted (real) coffee......
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2013, 02:34 PM   #4
Shrink
Thread Starter
macrumors Demi-God
 
Shrink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New England, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scepticalscribe View Post
Really? Really and truly? Seriously? 'A jar of cheap supermarket instant coffee' and you're a happy man. It is lucky for me that I am not drinking my usual (double) espresso just now, or I would have spluttered in stubborn disbelief, spraying espresso (with a teaspoon of milk on occasion) all over my shirt front (and missing the coffee table, naturally).

Anyway, here's hoping that you have a Very Happy National Coffee Day. Now, I had no idea there was such a thing, but if we must have a national celebration, there are few better things to celebrate than a cup of rich, aromatic, roasted (real) coffee......
Yup!

And for those who are coffee crazy, here's a bit more information.
__________________
Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein
Shrink is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2013, 02:45 PM   #5
Scepticalscribe
Contributor
 
Scepticalscribe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kite flying
Thanks for posting the link; I hadn't known of this, (but then I have been abroad circa September time for the last six years in a row, and, have not caught it). Actually, it is a great idea, - and not just for those of us who love our coffee; above all, I really like the fact that Fair Trade Coffee (and ethically traded coffee) seem to be highlighted as part of 'the envisaged package' of this national coffee day.
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2013, 03:07 PM   #6
SandboxGeneral
Moderator
 
SandboxGeneral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Rigel IV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
Not I that would really care, but I'm sure some of those coffee snobs out there are probably making a big fuss over it.

You know, the one's who are always talking about how coffee has to be fresh, and all the espresso nit picking stuff.

For me, just a jar of cheap supermarket instant coffee...and I'm a happy man.

So, I'm opening this thread for all those coffee fussbudgets who love to talk about coffee.



Please don't hurt me for mentioning "instant"!

Okay. Who are you, and what did you do to Shrink? We'll pay whatever your ransom is; just return our dear *fresh* coffee loving friend to us! ☕

I knew about national coffee day because of an email I received.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-09-29 at 4.03.58 PM.png
Views:	33
Size:	489.3 KB
ID:	437148  
__________________
It's true, we are aliens. But what are you going to do about it? It's a two-party system. You have to vote for one of us.
SandboxGeneral is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2013, 03:24 PM   #7
Scepticalscribe
Contributor
 
Scepticalscribe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kite flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxGeneral View Post
Okay. Who are you, and what did you do to Shrink? We'll pay whatever your ransom is; just return our dear *fresh* coffee loving friend to us! ☕

I knew about national coffee day because of an email I received.
I read you and echo your thoughts completely...... This is clearly an impostor, one cunningly disguised and obviously masquerading as our dear friend, (although one easily detected by the sheer improbability and utter implausibility of his post lauding the non-existant merits of.....instant coffee.....)
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2013, 03:30 PM   #8
Shrink
Thread Starter
macrumors Demi-God
 
Shrink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New England, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxGeneral View Post
Okay. Who are you, and what did you do to Shrink? We'll pay whatever your ransom is; just return our dear *fresh* coffee loving friend to us! ☕

I knew about national coffee day because of an email I received.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scepticalscribe View Post
I read you and echo your thoughts completely...... This is clearly an impostor, one cunningly disguised and obviously masquerading as our dear friend, (although one easily detected by the sheer improbability and utter implausibility of his post lauding the non-existant merits of.....instant coffee.....)
Forced...to...type...lies.

Will make my escape from the Folger kidnappers...
__________________
Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein
Shrink is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2013, 03:45 PM   #9
snberk103
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: An Island in the Salish Sea
Around here every day is coffee day. But that's what happens when you leave the far wet coast of Canada. Grey and damp... coffee is the antidote.

I'm not quite as non-committal as the impostor posing as Shrink, but I'm not that fussy about my coffee. Though fair-trade and organic is important.

Speaking of which... time to head into town for a coffee break.... yippee
__________________
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton
snberk103 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2013, 04:24 PM   #10
musicjunky
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
I find espresso too fussy. I'd never make that at home. Single-cup drip brew for me. A little half and half and i'm
musicjunky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2013, 04:31 PM   #11
Shrink
Thread Starter
macrumors Demi-God
 
Shrink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New England, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicjunky View Post
I find espresso too fussy. I'd never make that at home. Single-cup drip brew for me. A little half and half and i'm
As a terminally insane espresso enthusiast...I completely agree!

Fussy, time consuming (takes longer to make than to drink), messy...a royal pain in the butt.

And I wouldn't give it up for anything!

But, of course, any method that makes coffee that pleases you is "right". All that matters that you enjoy your coffee, and since the beans are all...the method of production is secondary to the quality of the beans.





But espresso is the best.

__________________
Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein
Shrink is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2013, 02:19 AM   #12
white.thomas
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
For me all 365 days are coffee days.
white.thomas is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2013, 05:20 AM   #13
Shrink
Thread Starter
macrumors Demi-God
 
Shrink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New England, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by white.thomas View Post
For me all 365 days are coffee days.
I'm definitely with you on that!

I just didn't know there was a National Coffee Day...and it was an excuse to talk about my favorite subject.

BTW: If your interested, there is an ongoing thread for coffee freaks...Espresso Enthusiast...but it's not limited to espresso crazies.
__________________
Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein
Shrink is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2013, 09:44 AM   #14
Scepticalscribe
Contributor
 
Scepticalscribe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kite flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by white.thomas View Post
For me all 365 days are coffee days.
I couldn't agree more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
I'm definitely with you on that!

I just didn't know there was a National Coffee Day...and it was an excuse to talk about my favorite subject.

BTW: If your interested, there is an ongoing thread for coffee freaks...Espresso Enthusiast...but it's not limited to espresso crazies.
No, it is not limited to the self confessed espresso 'crazies' (among whose number I count myself), but does offer a welcome space for us all. Anyway, it is a wonderful thread, warm, welcoming, and brimful of information, ideas, suggestions, all concerning coffee, beans, pots, grinders, tampers, and anything else which may be needed in order to assist one who may wish to join the ranks of those who delight in making their very own espresso.
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2013, 03:57 PM   #15
calvol
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post

For me, just a jar of cheap supermarket instant coffee...and I'm a happy man.

Please don't hurt me for mentioning "instant"!
Me too, I just buy some cheap Nestles instant, and call it a day. The good thing about instant coffee is that you can adjust the strength real easy!
calvol is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2013, 04:00 PM   #16
Shrink
Thread Starter
macrumors Demi-God
 
Shrink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New England, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvol View Post
Me too, I just buy some cheap Nestles instant, and call it a day. The good thing about instant coffee is that you can adjust the strength real easy!
Um...ah...oh, dear...please tell me you're kidding...right!?
__________________
Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein
Shrink is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2013, 04:02 PM   #17
SandboxGeneral
Moderator
 
SandboxGeneral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Rigel IV
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvol View Post
Me too, I just buy some cheap Nestles instant, and call it a day. The good thing about instant coffee is that you can adjust the strength real easy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
Um...ah...oh, dear...please tell me you're kidding...right!?
Buahahahahahahahahaha!
__________________
It's true, we are aliens. But what are you going to do about it? It's a two-party system. You have to vote for one of us.
SandboxGeneral is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2013, 02:04 PM   #18
Scepticalscribe
Contributor
 
Scepticalscribe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kite flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvol View Post
Me too, I just buy some cheap Nestles instant, and call it a day. The good thing about instant coffee is that you can adjust the strength real easy!
Methinks that you may have stumbled into.......perhaps, not quite the correct thread in which to espouse this view point with any.....ah, conviction, or passion. It is entirely possible that some posters (self included) may take polite - but intense - issue with you on this very matter......

.....starting with the definition of the word 'coffee'. You see, some among our number dispute (strongly) the idea that the substance, or product, known to the world as 'instant coffee' even merits the actual noun 'coffee'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
Um...ah...oh, dear...please tell me you're kidding...right!?
A more succinct version of my post, see above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxGeneral View Post
Buahahahahahahahahaha!
Yes. So. Um. Well, this is what I mean. Expressed even more succinctly.
Scepticalscribe is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2013, 10:15 PM   #19
ezekielrage_99
macrumors 68040
 
ezekielrage_99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvol View Post
Me too, I just buy some cheap Nestles instant, and call it a day. The good thing about instant coffee is that you can adjust the strength real easy!
I dearly hope you are kidding.
__________________
"There is a world elsewhere" - Coriolanus
ezekielrage_99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2013, 07:05 AM   #20
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
For me, just a jar of cheap supermarket instant coffee...and I'm a happy man.
You jest, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snberk103 View Post
Around here every day is coffee day. But that's what happens when you leave the far wet coast of Canada. Grey and damp... coffee is the antidote.

I'm not quite as non-committal as the impostor posing as Shrink, but I'm not that fussy about my coffee. Though fair-trade and organic is important.
Along these lines, give Trader Joe's Cafe Pajaro a try if you haven't already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvol View Post
The good thing about instant coffee is that you can adjust the strength real easy!
Good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scepticalscribe View Post
.....starting with the definition of the word 'coffee'. You see, some among our number dispute (strongly) the idea that the substance, or product, known to the world as 'instant coffee' even merits the actual noun 'coffee'.
Suppose you were going somewhere that couldn't get real coffee. Would you bring along No-Doz, or, instant coffee, in order to ward off the inevitable headaches?
jnpy!$4g3cwk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2013, 07:25 AM   #21
Shrink
Thread Starter
macrumors Demi-God
 
Shrink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New England, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnpy!$4g3cwk View Post
Suppose you were going somewhere that couldn't get real coffee. Would you bring along No-Doz, or, instant coffee, in order to ward off the inevitable headaches?
I would, and have, used any other source of caffeine available (No Doz, Jolt, anything) other than drink ersatz "coffee".

It is, for me, a truly undrinkable substance. I would even drink Starbucks stuff to avoid the other substance!
__________________
Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein
Shrink is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2013, 08:01 AM   #22
Plutonius
macrumors 601
 
Plutonius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New Hampshire
I do not care for coffee

It doesn't matter where it is from. I still will not drink it.

I will very occasionally, drink some tea and no, I don't drink energy drinks.
Plutonius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2013, 08:08 AM   #23
Shrink
Thread Starter
macrumors Demi-God
 
Shrink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New England, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutonius View Post
It doesn't matter where it is from. I still will not drink it.
You're certainly part of a large crowd! Lots of folks can't stand coffee.

I didn't drink coffee until I entered grad school. For some unexplainable, and likely drug induced crazy reason, I decided that I wanted to learn to do 2 things...finally learn to study, and learn to drink coffee.

Well, I learned to drink coffee!

But it is understandable that others eschew coffee...
__________________
Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein
Shrink is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2013, 08:20 AM   #24
SandboxGeneral
Moderator
 
SandboxGeneral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Rigel IV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
You're certainly part of a large crowd! Lots of folks can't stand coffee.

I didn't drink coffee until I entered grad school. For some unexplainable, and likely drug induced crazy reason, I decided that I wanted to learn to do 2 things...finally learn to study, and learn to drink coffee.

Well, I learned to drink coffee!

But it is understandable that others eschew coffee...
I've only been drinking coffee for the past 9 months and now that I can brew my own fresh coffee, I'm loving it!
__________________
It's true, we are aliens. But what are you going to do about it? It's a two-party system. You have to vote for one of us.
SandboxGeneral is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2013, 08:24 AM   #25
Shrink
Thread Starter
macrumors Demi-God
 
Shrink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New England, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxGeneral View Post
I've only been drinking coffee for the past 9 months and now that I can brew my own fresh coffee, I'm loving it!
WOW!

I didn't realize that you only started drinking coffee so recently!

You've come a long way, baby!

__________________
Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein
Shrink is offline   1 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
September 21st - National Call In Sick Day jbenkelman iPhone 30 Sep 20, 2012 10:16 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:58 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC