Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TrenttonY

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 14, 2012
How do I make iMessage only send to people like iPods. I don't want to send a iMessage to a iPhone and use my data to send it, I have unlimited text but not data. When iMessage is on it make all contacts blue.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
How do I make iMessage only send to people like iPods. I don't want to send a iMessage to a iPhone and use my data to send it, I have unlimited text but not data.

If the person has iMessage on, it will automatically be sent as an iMessage. If they don't have iMessage on or don't have an iMessage-capable device, it will be sent as a text. If you're not on WiFi, iMessage will use your data just like anything else would. Data used when sending messages with text only is minimal at most. If you send an iMessage with an image while on 3G/LTE, more data will be used.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
How do I make iMessage only send to people like iPods. I don't want to send a iMessage to a iPhone and use my data to send it, I have unlimited text but not data. When iMessage is on it make all contacts blue.

Text message plans have nothing to do with iMessage. iMessage is strictly data. If you do not want to use data for iMessages, either completely turn it off on your phone or only use it when connected to WiFi. Anytime the text bubble is blue it is iMessage, anytime it is green it is a Text.

How is it dumb? Because of it, most people don't even need text messaging plans anymore. I can't remember the last time I sent a text message. Everyone I text has an iPhone/iPad.

I don't understand how someone can expect to use an iPhone without data..

TrenttonY

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 14, 2012
If it gets sent to an iPhone without a connection would it send it as a text?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
If it gets sent to an iPhone without a connection would it send it as a text?

Theoretically it should, but not right away. It takes a few minutes in order to make sure you are not going to be connecting to a data connection before it sends as a SMS. Or after you send it you can hold down on the bubble and click "send as text message". Or again, just turn off iMessage.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
What became confusing in iMessage is the way it handles SMS/iMessage ....
If you start an iMessage and press SEND, and in the meanwhile the network coverage become poor and you basically lose data network, the iMessage automatically is sent as an SMS , even though I have the option disabled.

TrenttonY

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 14, 2012
They should make it you have to have their Apple I.D email, so when you create a new conversation and search their name and click their email and that would send as a iMessage but if you click their number it will send it as a text

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
They should make it you have to have their Apple I.D email, so when you create a new conversation and search their name and click their email and that would send as a iMessage but if you click their number it will send it as a text

I don't see how that makes a difference.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008

But that would still require data on the email side of things and thing option is kind of available. You can set it up to start new conversations from your email address and not your phone number, and if they have their email address set up into iMessages you can send it to theirs. That is how you can use iMessages on a Mac, iPod and iPad (All don't have phone numbers). But that still uses data in which you don't want to do (can't do).

I don't see how that makes a difference.

Exactly..

TrenttonY

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 14, 2012
It would make it so you could keep iMessage on but not having to always send as a iMessage.

iBueno

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2013
United Kingdom
If you're connected to a WiFi network, it won't use any cellular data, if you're out and about, it'll use cellular data. You can turn iMessage off if you don't want to use it.

If you want to use iMessage and don't want it to send as an SMS when in a poor coverage area, turn off the ability for iMessage to fall-back and send it via SMS, iMessage will then wait until you're connected to 3G/4G or WiFi.

Settings > Messages > Uncheck 'Send as SMS'.

CyBeRino

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
It would inconvenience everyone else though for the benefit of solely you. iMessage is a drop-in replacement for SMS and that doesn't work if you can't send to mobile numbers.

Now, is you data plan limited to 64 bytes a month because iMessages use pretty damn little data. If your unlimited SMS is an add-on to your plan you're probably paying more for it than you would in data charges with iMessage.

CedricEarl

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2012
It would make it so you could keep iMessage on but not having to always send as a iMessage.

It has been shown that iMessage and text message are using the same amounts of data. When you log onto safari to start this thread and respond, your using probably more data than actually just sending an iMessage. I honestly don't understand your inconvenience. Sounds like to me you should probably set your iMessage to only send from your email. If you're sending to just iPods they don't have numbers to send to. That may help your "situation" but IMO if you haven't understood the concept for iMessage I would honestly recommend you turn the entire feature off.

wepiii

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2012
Not to mention, if you have several different devices synced with iCloud you can now set it up to all use your phone #. So if someone sends me a text (iMessage) it goes to my phone, iPad, and computers. I like this because I can charge my phone and keep texting on my iPad. When I get home from work I can jump on my laptop and all my conversations from earlier in the day are there. People don't know if I am on my phone, computer or my iPad. So if they had to use my email to message my iPad, and my number to message my phone for example, how would they know which I was on? iMessage is absolutely perfect the way it is. I'm sorry, but if it isn't working for you, this is honestly just a case of, "you aren't using it right"

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It has been shown that iMessage and text message are using the same amounts of data. When you log onto safari to start this thread and respond, your using probably more data than actually just sending an iMessage. I honestly don't understand your inconvenience. Sounds like to me you should probably set your iMessage to only send from your email. If you're sending to just iPods they don't have numbers to send to. That may help your "situation" but IMO if you haven't understood the concept for iMessage I would honestly recommend you turn the entire feature off.
With most carriers you don't get charged data for SMS or even MMS as those are charged on per message type of basis.

CedricEarl

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2012
No i dont

Under send and receive the way your complaint is directed you should remove your phone number from iMessage usage. Your phone number should not have a check mark or even be an option. If you have it set to only recieve I messages from your email and also start iMessages with your email, you should not have any trouble. Makes sense to me. Because if you are sending an iMessage to an iPod or an iPad you should be sending it to an email. Based off what you are saying they shouldn't have those devices setup under their numbers. And your problem is solved

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.