Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which one Looks Amazing ?

• Gold

Votes: 132 42.3%
  • Space Grey

Votes: 180 57.7%

• Total voters

Shockwave78

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2010
I have come to the conclusion that a black face in general i will never go back to. The reason being is that you can see all fingerprints, marks and anything else on the the black face that is not the screen. It just makes it look ugly. On a white or light colored face of the phone you don't see any of this, only on the screen itself. Once the screen is on then you never notice this stuff.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
You forgot to add an option in the poll for neither as neither look amazing or even all that good. The white/silver is the best one of the three and yes I have seen all three in person.

The Mrs.

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2013
Suburgatory
I have come to the conclusion that a black face in general i will never go back to. The reason being is that you can see all fingerprints, marks and anything else on the the black face that is not the screen. It just makes it look ugly. On a white or light colored face of the phone you don't see any of this, only on the screen itself. Once the screen is on then you never notice this stuff.

This is the sole reason I chose the white iPhone and iPad.

mso4

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2009

I first noticed this with the iphone 5. I walked into a verizon store and there was a lady standing there cleaning the new iphone of fingerprints and smudges. I asked her if she liked the white one or the black one. She made an observation that the black one seems to get dirtier than the white one. Since she's always cleaning the black one.

So yes I agree with you. The black one does show smudges more than the white one. I'm still trying to decide between the gold one vs the grey. I saw the grey one in the store yesterday and I loved it. Originally I thought gold was a no brainier but now I'm torn since I hate dirty screen but that grey back is so awesome.

user-name-here

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2013
There's just a certain level of professionalism that black conveys compared to the other options.

I couldn't imagine trying to get a job in, say, law enforcement, going to the interview, and busting out a white/silver or white/gold iPhone. That just screams "Look at me! Look at me!" IMO.

Gypsy36

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2013
Canada
Fingerprints? They both have a black screen so are we talking about the 1/2 inch of space at the top and bottom?

Black is it for me. I like the uniformity of it, I like the way it looks when it is off, I like that it doesn't fight with the screen and that it blends in with most cases.

Also, I hate anything too girly and, being a girl, the gold / white combo comes off as a bit precious in my hand (yes, I know you brawny guys can rock it but I cannot).

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008

Yeah. I tried the Space Gray. I love the way it looks. Until I touch it.

Traded for a White/Silver.

The gold looks better than I expected, but not something I'd waste time trying to find.

SanjeevRana

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011
Personally I got the Grey one because that was the only Stock available for now ... but the fingerprint thing is true and I keep wiping it the whole day .. however, its better than the full black of IP5 in that the sides and the back DO NOT attract same amount of prints ...

White and Gold definitely will show even less prints, however here is my biggest problems with white faced iPhones :

The screen is NEVER .. I mean NEVER aligned in the center ... all 4 sides (the black area) between screen and bezel will be of different width and this gets on my nerves ... my eyes just lose focus from screen and start looking at this discrepancy.

On the other hand, almost ALL the white iPhones I have seen have WHITER whites (cooler screen) as compared to Black/Grey models ... dont believe me ? try comparing them side by side whenever u get a chance :)

terzinator

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
Both.

I got the gray, my wife got the gold one. They both look great. I prefer the black face, so I didn't have much of a choice. My wife likes the white one, and the silver is kinda cold looking.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
I went to the Apple Store this weekend and finally got to see the colors in person. The first thing that struck me about the Gold is how 'light' the color was. From far away, I thought it was the silver model. I'm glad it's not gold as it seems from most of the photographs. The space gray, looked okay - a bit 'plain' - they should've stayed with the Black/Slate combo. I've had black iPhones since the original and chose the Gold to just get something different. If I end up hating it, at least I'll only have it for a year.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
There's just a certain level of professionalism that black conveys compared to the other options.

I couldn't imagine trying to get a job in, say, law enforcement, going to the interview, and busting out a white/silver or white/gold iPhone. That just screams "Look at me! Look at me!" IMO.

One has bigger problems if they associate color with how professional someone is.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Is "Both" an option? My sister has the gold and I have the silver. I was tempted by the space gray when I bought my phone last Saturday, though. It looks nice and reminiscent of the original iPhone.

I prefer silver and black as a general rule so if given a choice of only those toe is probably go with space gray. Gold is the novel color, though, so I would be happy with either.

----------

I first noticed this with the iphone 5. I walked into a verizon store and there was a lady standing there cleaning the new iphone of fingerprints and smudges. I asked her if she liked the white one or the black one. She made an observation that the black one seems to get dirtier than the white one. Since she's always cleaning the black one.

So yes I agree with you. The black one does show smudges more than the white one. I'm still trying to decide between the gold one vs the grey. I saw the grey one in the store yesterday and I loved it. Originally I thought gold was a no brainier but now I'm torn since I hate dirty screen but that grey back is so awesome.

It isn't just phones. Black cars look great just out of the car wash. But they look dirtier a lot more quickly since dirt and smudge tend to be lighter colors that contrast with black. White surfaces reflect more light which washes out a lot of the dirt and smudge.

user-name-here

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2013
One has bigger problems if they associate color with how professional someone is.

Not saying they don't have problems but you can't tell me the stigma isn't there in certain industries.

To me it's the same as if you wore a white suit + gold tie to a job interview vs a good old fashioned black suit + grey tie.

Professionally you're just asking for trouble with something the corporate world deems non-professional.

Hmm, I guess I'll show up on my pink suit to work on monday then.

Exactly!

merkinmuffley

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2010
my verizon had both when i walked in, looked at them side by side and i walked out with space grey. the black border seemed to give a little more contrast to the screen, which i liked.

Dabearfan101

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
Coming from a slate iphone 5...

I was severely disappointed by the space grey 5s. Just bored me to be honest. Outside of the scuffgate I like my slate better. That said, the gold 5s is really nice. Its a subtle gold not a in your face and just has a classy look. It's a little hard to distinguish between that and the silver from a distance/different light angles.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
My girlfriend has a gold, I have a space grey. I came from a slate iPhone 5, so the space grey is alright. I miss the sleekness of the slate. You can definitely see the bezel now that it is lighter, while looking directly at the front of the phone. I think the gold looks really good though. Its not flashy, but it is enough to be visibly different.

alia

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2003
Tampa, FL (Orlando, 2003 - 2023)
Not saying they don't have problems but you can't tell me the stigma isn't there in certain industries.

To me it's the same as if you wore a white suit + gold tie to a job interview vs a good old fashioned black suit + grey tie.

Professionally you're just asking for trouble with something the corporate world deems non-professional.

Exactly!

You shouldn't be dredging out your phone at an interview regardless of what it looks like. That is the part that's not professional. If you are in a meeting with established colleagues, no one is going to care. If you are in a meeting with someone you are trying to impress, be it a job interview or clients, you should not be flashing your phone at them anyway.

If I am in a meeting with clients (potential or otherwise), they never, NEVER see my phone. It's poor form because they take that to mean that there is something more interesting to me than their problems or expectations. It doesn't ring and I don't check e-mail or texts on it while I am in a professional setting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.