Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nobackup

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
Phone is at 26% .. on 3G only

Switch on Wifi , Locked on network, pull down to refresh in MAIL ... spinning white icon ... reboot & suddenly shows 0% and switches off

Pressing the Power button shows a RED battery and the lightning connector (Please recharge .. battery depleted)

Plug in .... phone waits a few secs ... then restarts .... after restart phone shows 28% !!!

Short version ..
So 26% ... suddenly crashes and reboots ... no power... plug in charger ... restarts back to 28% all in under 3mins ...

any body else ..

sillywabbit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
Phone is at 26% .. on 3G only

Switch on Wifi , Locked on network, pull down to refresh in MAIL ... spinning white icon ... reboot & suddenly shows 0% and switches off

Pressing the Power button shows a RED battery and the lightning connector (Please recharge .. battery depleted)

Plug in .... phone waits a few secs ... then restarts .... after restart phone shows 28% !!!

Short version ..
So 26% ... suddenly crashes and reboots ... no power... plug in charger ... restarts back to 28% all in under 3mins ...

any body else ..

Yup, my phone shut off at around 20ish%.

Plug the phone in and about 10 min later, I look at the phone percentage and it is at 46%.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
On an iPhone 4S, I had this happen today.

Had my phone. Charge went down as I used it. Around 6 p.m. or so, noticed it was at 29 percent. Less than 5 minutes later, it was at 1 percent. Didn't shut off, just sat there at 1 percent.

I have abused my batter with constant charging because of the previous car dock I had, so I know it's not going to last as long as a new iPhone. But it didn't do this stuff on iOS 6. My guess is some calculation is going haywire.

nobackup

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
thanks .. and I am sure that the two last poster are like me on OS5 or 6 no issues (so battery ok) .. for me I only noticed this after updating to 7.0.2

would be interesting to see how many other users have this .. could be a bug wonder if its happening on the 5c & 5s ... any takers ?

paulmadejong

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2012
Netherlands
I've had this problem before iOS 7 beta's (so on iOS 6) and hoped that it would be fixed after installing the GM. However, it did not, so I had Apple replace my i5 this weekend which works great.

I too had my iPhone always connected to power (through USB and my work computer). Guess that affected battery life and will only charge the iPhone when really needed from now on.

R.Stoychev

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2012
A friend of mine was having the same issue, it was bad battery and they changed it for him :)

nobackup

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
This isn't an ios problem.

It is the phone, I had this and an apple store swapped it.

Strange never had it before the update ... And don't have my phone on charge all the time only when nearly empty.

Phone is a year old now. .... Very strange :confused: that's suddenly the battery acts this way ...

bluedukies8

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2009
Iowa
I was having the same issues with my phone. Kept trying to get it to recalibrate. Tried setting it up as "new" and nothing seemed to work. I came across a different thread on here where someone described the exact same issues.

I went to Apple's website to see if I was still in warranty....I was, fortunately by 1 day. Contacted Apple via chat. They ran some diagnostics on the phone through a text message link and told me the battery was the issue. Took it to my local Apple store the next morning and they showed the battery graph. Mine was pretty much shot. Half an hour later I walked out with a new battery and my battery life is amazing again! No issues anymore.

I would suggest taking it to the store. Worst case if not under warranty is $80 for a new one.

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2007
Strange never had it before the update ... And don't have my phone on charge all the time only when nearly empty.

Phone is a year old now. .... Very strange :confused: that's suddenly the battery acts this way ...

Mine started to do it on iOS 6, may just be coincidence that it started with iOS 7.

But I'm currently at 5% with 4:30 usage, 12:30 standby. Before replacement I'd me lucky to get half that as it would give up at anything between 5 and 20%.

rogeliojeda

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2011
As the OP stated, as soon as I made the upgrade to 7.0.2 I began to suffer several batterie issues and the % went really off.

My question is, as I'm still under warranty, instead of giving a new phone, Apple will just exchange the battery?

oplix

Suspended
Jun 29, 2008
New York, NY
ios 7 is total garbage. Your main issue is that you upgraded to it. I was seeing 40% less battery life on ios 7 than 6.1.4. Lucky enough to have downgraded in time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.