Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Badrottie

Suspended
Original poster
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
Hello everyone
I have a deaf friend who bought a new Apple Airport Extreme router yesterday and he has been struggled with wifi to his 3 or 4 months old 15" rMBP due to weak signal in his family old apartment. His sister has a TWC cable box in her bedroom hooked with 2 year old Netgear RangeMax Dual Band router (I believe model 3200) (Also weak signal too) he can't move cable modem to living room because sister won't let him. So I suggested him to use Airport Extreme as range extender. I called Apple tech support to see if both can work together or not he said it should work fine so I don't know how both can work together?? Also I told my friend if Netgear does not work with Airport Extreme then he could buy an Airport Express router as range extender to Airport Extreme and get over with it.
What do you suggest or will netgear work with airport extreme as range extender?
If you don't understand my extremely poor english grammars then don't bother reply this.

Thank you for your help. :apple:

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
If there is an Ethernet cable from the NetGear to the AirPort Extreme, then the setup should be pretty simple. He'll configure the AirPort to "Create" a wireless network, and set up the AirPort in "Bridge mode" (so the NetGear still handles DHCP and NAT).

If he's trying to extend wirelessly (without Ethernet), I don't know if that's possible without using an AirPort as the primary router.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.