Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Dec 1, 2005, 05:13 PM   #1
ImNoSuperMan
macrumors 65816

Need external dvd writer for ibook

Hi there.
Just got my self a brand new i book g4 couple of weeks ago, and am already in love with it. OSX is fantastic and rock solid. Will never use any windows computer ever.
All i miss here is a super drive. My budget is very low. Around 150 US$. But tell me only about the ones with a range of around 100-120 US$. As I am in india, that 120$ model will actually cost me around 150$.(Got the 999$ iBook for around 1150$ in India. Very unfair
Any ways. I wud liketo know one more thing. It is possible to use regular PC DVD writer(internal) as an external writer by putting it in a special case and connecting via USB. Such a setup wud cost me less than 100$ and will work with any computer using windows. But will that drive also work with Mac. Wud love to get Yes as an answer, but dont really think if its possible.Size weight and heat generation wont matter as I`ll be using the writer only at my home and wont be moving it with my ibook.
Any help will be really appreciated.
ImNoSuperMan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2005, 05:20 PM   #2
OutThere
macrumors 603

Some of these LaCie external drives are quite inexpensive...there are 1 or 2 for $99.

http://www.lacie.com/products/range.htm?id=10014

In my experience LaCie products are durable and last well, and all of these will work with both PC and Mac. In general you'll get better performance from Firewire, but USB will offer better compatibility with other computers.
Old Dec 1, 2005, 05:48 PM   #3
ImNoSuperMan
macrumors 65816

Oops. Wont get that in india

Even though most of the major companies have their products available in india, I dont think Lacie wud be available in India. Couldnt find any help at their website also.
Any ways.Thanx a lot 4 ur advice and time.
ImNoSuperMan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2005, 05:51 PM   #4
OutThere
macrumors 603

Well, if LaCies are available in India, you could probably find a company rather easily that offers external DVD burners in India...they'd probably be within your price range, too, from what I've seen.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs