Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaredlipsitz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
I've been suffering from moderate battery drain since upgrading to iOS 7. I've tried all the tricks on the forum with no real success. What I have noticed though is that my drain is not consistent. When I'm at home or out in areas with good signal my drain isn't bad. At work, where the signal is bad, the drain is massive, even without me using the phone.

Now I know poor signal = more battery use. But it seems as though this is amplified multiple times compared to iOS 6. Could this be the way iOS 7 handles poor signal?

MistahMumford

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2011
SC
I don't even think this is really even iOS 7 or Apple related as I experience similar increased drain at work in my building where the signal is less than optimal. So much so that I have LTE switched off all. But, I noticed the same thing with Android devices when I used those as well.

Poor signal = more drain plain and simple

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
I live in a great signal area and work in a relatively poor signal area. I have definitely noticed a larger drain after the update while at work. The radio seems to be constantly cycling either LTE, 4G giving up one for the other.

This has always been an issue for batteries but since the update it seems like it is more of an issue. Whats more interesting is that it happens when on Wifi too, i guess the cellular radio continues to do its thing regardless.

At home - No accelerated drain that i can see. My 2nd phone running Android seems to handle this issue a bit better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.