Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Dec 1, 2005, 05:37 PM   #1
dpw08
macrumors newbie

Making bridge out of wireless connection

hey, I dont even know if im going to say this correctly, but how do you bridge a wireless connection with an xbox? Im on a wireless network and want to hook up my xbox to it, i thought i might be able to share the connection from my powerbook and use a hub in order to hook it all up, but i cant seem to make it work. someone told me i need to make a bridge, but i dont really know what that consists of, thanks for your help
dpw08 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2005, 05:44 PM   #2
OutThere
macrumors 603

These little bridges will help you out ...you can just share wireless from your powerbook or set up a router running wireless and this will pick it up. These are easy enough to find on American websites...this site just had a good selection of various models.

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...pID=29&Alt=Yes
Old Dec 1, 2005, 06:00 PM   #3
dpw08
macrumors newbie

is there anyway i can do it without buying anything new? i already have a hub and a spare router...
Old Dec 1, 2005, 07:09 PM   #4
killmoms
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to killmoms Send a message via Yahoo to killmoms
Help me understand your current and proposed setups.

You have a wireless connection to the 'Net through your PowerBook, and you want to plug your XBox into your PowerBook to access the web that way?
Azusa: 64GB iPhone 5, Nagato: 16GB WiFi Retina iPad Mini
killmoms is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2005, 07:21 PM   #5
dpw08
macrumors newbie

ok, im at school and my house has wireless with no direct access to a wall jack, so the only way i can get my xbox online is by getting the wireless adapter thing, which i dont want to buy, or by going through my computer. i was thinking that maybe i could "share my connection from airport" with "computers using ethernet" and then somehow connect my xbox into my computer using a hub. a buddy of mine using a pc did a similar thing by making a bridge, unfortunately i dont really understand how and hes not familiar with macs enough to figure it out. i didnt know if there was a way i could plug my xbox straight into my computer and use a crossover or something to share my wireless connection from my laptop with my xbox. thanks for your input
Old Dec 1, 2005, 07:23 PM   #6
killmoms
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to killmoms Send a message via Yahoo to killmoms
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpw08
ok, im at school and my house has wireless with no direct access to a wall jack, so the only way i can get my xbox online is by getting the wireless adapter thing, which i dont want to buy, or by going through my computer. i was thinking that maybe i could "share my connection from airport" with "computers using ethernet" and then somehow connect my xbox into my computer using a hub. a buddy of mine using a pc did a similar thing by making a bridge, unfortunately i dont really understand how and hes not familiar with macs enough to figure it out. i didnt know if there was a way i could plug my xbox straight into my computer and use a crossover or something to share my wireless connection from my laptop with my xbox. thanks for your input
Well, you had it right the first time. Just use Internet Sharing on the PowerBook from the Airport to the Ethernet interface, and then plug the Xbox into your PowerBook. Macs have auto-sensing Ethernet ports so you don't even need a crossover cable—the PowerBook will automatically detect the network setup and adjust so there's a link.
Azusa: 64GB iPhone 5, Nagato: 16GB WiFi Retina iPad Mini
killmoms is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2005, 08:00 PM   #7
xenicon
macrumors newbie

bridge to babylon?

here's the deal. I have an old iMac on which I loaded 10.3 and bumped up RAM to accommodate (just barely) and an almost as old g4 with an airport card (801.11b). I bought a used airport "snow" on ebay because it had a LAN port and WAN. So, I configured the base station for AOL (I know, I know) and the airport sees the base station and everything is good.
But when I attached the ethernet cable from the imac to the LAN port I run into a problem: I'm connected but nothing shows up when I open Safari. I can't connect to AOL either. I have several aol accounts ( one for my children)
What suggestions can anyone offer?

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help