Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djuarez03

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2008
I currently have 3 lines of service with AT&T: 2 iPhones with Unlimited Data and one dumb phone that still has a year left on contract. I plan on opening 4 lines when I switch over to T-Mobile and plan on upgrading my iPhones when I switch. Since I'll be giving T-Mobile all my business, and I'm willing to pay the ETF on the dumb phone line, got any tips so I can get the best deal with them? For example, any chance I could get them to pay that ETF, or waive activation fees and the like? Thanks in advance for any tips, even if the tip is "stay with AT$T". For reference, I'll be using their service in the San Diego area, and sometimes in the Imperial Valley. Any opinions before I switch are welcome.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Highly recommend unlocking a phone or two if locked (swiftunlocks.com if AT&T won't do it), pick up a TMO SIM and try out their $30/mo or $3/day prepaid service in your area to see if coverage meets your needs before committing. FYI: I've been told prepaid doesn't get quite as good coverage as postpaid, but thats just from mentions here on MR.

Gary500

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2009
Best decision ever TC. I've saving tons of money and getting way better reception than with ATT. :rolleyes:

Just get those iPhones unlocked (less than $5) , pop in a T-Mobile nano sim, and you're off to the races with insane LTE speeds.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
how much are you paying on AT&T and what is your T-mo bill going to be?

i ran the numbers for my 4 line account and there really are no savings unless you keep your phones longer than 2 years

Pastries

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2012
I currently have 3 lines of service with AT&T: 2 iPhones with Unlimited Data and one dumb phone that still has a year left on contract. I plan on opening 4 lines when I switch over to T-Mobile and plan on upgrading my iPhones when I switch. Since I'll be giving T-Mobile all my business, and I'm willing to pay the ETF on the dumb phone line, got any tips so I can get the best deal with them? For example, any chance I could get them to pay that ETF, or waive activation fees and the like? Thanks in advance for any tips, even if the tip is "stay with AT$T". For reference, I'll be using their service in the San Diego area, and sometimes in the Imperial Valley. Any opinions before I switch are welcome.

Don't cancel and pay the etf, sell your unlimited data lines to someone, that way they take your contract.

djuarez03

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2008
Just to add, I've already requested unlocks through AT&T for the iPhones (4 & 4S) and had no problems getting them unlocked since they are off contract. Great suggestion to try a pre-paid one month to try out. Never thought of that. I have heard service is pretty great here in SD, but since I visit the Imperial Valley quite often, I was more worried about the coverage down there. Although, really, service down there is pretty spotty with any carrier. My main gripe with AT$T is the throttled data speeds, so I'm looking forward to paying for actual Unlimited with T-Mobile, since apparently they don't throttle anymore. I only really need Unlimited on my line, since I love to stream Netflix & video. Plus, unlimited minutes will finally let me get rid of my home line that I hardly ever use.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
Best decision ever TC. I've saving tons of money and getting way better reception than with ATT. :rolleyes:

Just get those iPhones unlocked (less than $5) , pop in a T-Mobile nano sim, and you're off to the races with insane LTE speeds.
Where Tmobile LTE works it works well, just make sure it works for you. Coverage maps are a start.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Yeah you can just get the iPhones unlocked for like $2 over at swiftunlocks. All the lines come with a default of 500mb of data but I'd recommend at least 2.5GB for the iPhones.

djuarez03

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2008
how much are you paying on AT&T and what is your T-mo bill going to be?

i ran the numbers for my 4 line account and there really are no savings unless you keep your phones longer than 2 years

I'm currently paying about $180-$190/month for my 3 lines. With T-Mobile, I calculated that I would be paying the same thing with unlimited minutes/texts, and upgrading my two iPhones to the 5S if I financed with them. Also, I'll be upgrading the dumb phone to the 4S, and just adding a bit of data to it, since my mom is not an avid internet user. Cost goes down by about $20 if I only upgrade one iPhone. Either way, since I have limited minutes with AT&T, it's still a better deal if I switch and pay the same I'm paying now.

djuarez03

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2008
Sorry, I miscalculated. I'm actually paying around $160/month with AT&T atm.

karmamule

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2008
Waltham, MA
Highly recommend unlocking a phone or two if locked (swiftunlocks.com if AT&T won't do it), pick up a TMO SIM and try out their $30/mo or $3/day prepaid service in your area to see if coverage meets your needs before committing. FYI: I've been told prepaid doesn't get quite as good coverage as postpaid, but thats just from mentions here on MR.

When I first switched from AT&T to T-Mobile that is exactly the plan I first went with. The 100 minute call limit proved just a bit too small for me (which surprised me), and the 4G limit before throttling was also a bit tight (since I like to stream music and on heavier months can get up to 6gb or so.)

I ended up going for their $70 everything unlimited plan (well, everything but mobile hotspot which they give you 1/2gb of) and noticed a slight bump in speed. (I had good coverage at work/home either way) Now that I have unlimited I even use their LTE at home rather than wifi because it's noticeably faster.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.