Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MastahRiz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2010
Battery died again on this guy but after replacing it once more I was surprised to see he wouldn't turn on.

I'm interested in getting a new Classic iPod but the buyer's guide says "don't buy," even though there hasn't been any iPod related information or actual rumors for a long time concerning a refresh.

Does anyone know if there will be a refresh for the iPods any time in the next 3 months?

Thanks.

Attachments

• DfgIWSE.jpg
    DfgIWSE.jpg
    340.3 KB · Views: 175

chrisrosemusic1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2012
Northamptonshire, England
Battery died again on this guy but after replacing it once more I was surprised to see he wouldn't turn on.

I'm interested in getting a new Classic iPod but the buyer's guide says "don't buy," even though there hasn't been any iPod related information or actual rumors for a long time concerning a refresh.

Does anyone know if there will be a refresh for the iPods any time in the next 3 months?

Thanks.

No news on iPods at all at the min. Seems Apple are taking a backseat with these - I guess with red hot iPhone sales most people don't require another music player than the one they have with them all day long. The buyers guide has had 'don't buy' on it for some time - that being said Apple haven't updated the classic for at least two years. My brother bought one last year because he simply has too much music for an iTouch to handle.

If you need one, buy it but I'd probably go for a second hand or refurbished model so you don't take such a hit on a new price only to find it discontinued or updated in a few months.

Just so you know though, iPods are usually announced in September and they haven't been so it's likely it won't happen for a while still.

MacRazySwe

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
I doubt there will be any more updates coming to the iPod Classic. I'd say its pretty safe to buy one right now.

I must ask though, how do you use your iPod, or rather what do you use it for? I still have my iPod 5G, as well as a few iPod Nanos lying around somewhere, but I'm struggling to find any use of them. I'm basically just keeping them around as I'm too nostalgic to get rid of them. Any advice?

These days, I only listen to Spotify on my phone and computer - no more downloading/purchasing songs. Offline playlists let me keep the songs locally as well, so I have a full library of music with me all of the time, even when traveling abroad.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007

The buyer's guide is basing its advice purely on the assumption that a device that hasn't been updated in a while is due for a refresh. The problem is, I don't think Apple will ever refresh the iPod classic again.

I would be more concerned that the iPod classic will be discontinued soon. There hasn't been an update in four years - an eternity for an Apple product - and aside from the product page at Apple, they never advertise it anymore. My guess is it's being held over as-is, and then as soon as a 128GB iPhone/iPod touch model becomes viable to produce, they'll discontinue the iPod classic (while not fully measuring up to the 160GB capacity, a 128GB iOS device might be deemed "close enough").

Shame about your iPod, by the way. The generation that you have was the first iPod I ever bought.

Last edited:

MastahRiz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2010
I must ask though, how do you use your iPod, or rather what do you use it for? I still have my iPod 5G, as well as a few iPod Nanos lying around somewhere, but I'm struggling to find any use of them. I'm basically just keeping them around as I'm too nostalgic to get rid of them. Any advice?

These days, I only listen to Spotify on my phone and computer - no more downloading/purchasing songs...
It was a 20GB iPod that I use for music only, my iPhone fills up with photos fast and now even to update iOS you need over a gig free-- I don't buy hardware and hard drives eg diskspace to leave them empty... Anyway, it is capable of some gimmicks too like playing black and white video without audio while running linux. That's just for lulz though.

I rip from Spotify to avoid paying-- I can afford it but I just can't wrap my head around it and I've been pirating since 1990 so it just an old habit that I can't get over. (I often donate money to piratebay.org and buy their hoodies so hopefully it evens out.)

Shame about your iPod, by the way. The generation that you have was the first iPod I ever bought.

Thanks for the advice- I would really like to see a 128GB iPhone too. I have been a proponent of a good "all-in-one," device for more years than I can remember and while the iPhone is the best, it could still be better. This particular iPod has been with me since 2003, shortly after I gave my original first generation iPod to my little sister. Its hard drive has seen more gigs of music than most (slut) and the casing has been ripped open for battery transplants many, many times. RIP.

GreatDrok

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2006
New Zealand

Thanks.

What a shame - I still have my 40GB iPod 3G although it is on the second battery too. It may just be that you haven't fitted the battery properly. Does it show any life when you try and charge it? Biggest issue I'm having now is that it only charges over Firewire although it will sync over USB. My Mac mini does have Firewire though but my laptop is an Air which doesn't so I can't really use the iPod daily. I just love it though because it is my first iPod and has outlived later ones - nano which still works but is only 2GB and a 80GB 5.5G which my son dropped and now it won't charge even with a new battery although I keep looking for a beat up example I can gut for the motherboard so I can get it up and running again. It is becoming a bit of a collection it would seem.

Mr Rabbit

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
'merica
This depresses me. The third gen iPod was my first iPod and has remained my favorite. I still have my original one and use it to play music through my Apple Hi-Fi at work. Little guy has served me well for about 10 years now, living in a car for music, having an alter ego as a 10.4 & 10.5 installer, etc...

I agree though that the writing is on the wall with regards to the classic. The only possibility I can think of aside from letting it stagnate is a possible refresh with large capacity flash memory but I admit thats doubtful based on price.

Attachments

• iPod at work.JPG
    iPod at work.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 132

g4manimac

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2013
Arkansas
That model was my first iPod also,I got it for $50 about 8 years ago and it came with the box and everything.It was an 80gb and was stacked FULL of music the original owner had put on it I had to flip through a thousand songs to find one I liked and it would take me forever to find it again LOL it was kinda slow but I could never put music on it because I didnt have a computer back then,( I was young) it was the beginning of a love affair literally and was a good ipod and I wish I still had it.Its also fairly rare these days.I bought a 30gb classic 5.5 gen for $50 with a warranty at game stop and it was a good alternative if your not wanting the latest thing out,I also have a 6th gen nano I put on a necklace case at work and its a great ipod also and the battery life is amazing just not as much storage space 8gb.

Mdwall

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2012
Sadly I think the ol tank's days are numbered at this point. I love mine but it seems counter to what they are doing these days. Unless a newer one were to supplant the Nano which is a pit as close to a purpose specific music player as you can get other than the classic.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I rip from Spotify to avoid paying-- I can afford it but I just can't wrap my head around it and I've been pirating since 1990 so it just an old habit that I can't get over. (I often donate money to piratebay.org and buy their hoodies so hopefully it evens out.) ...

I don't see how donating to hackers evens out things w/ the artists that you are ripping off.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
The 16GB iPod Nano 5G sounds like it's probably the best replacement for your dead iPod. You can find them used of course. They were fairly indestructible due to being entirely solid state, but you have to make sure that you get one with a good battery.

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
That's a shame about the dead iPod.

I'm looking at resurrecting my 4th gen. iPod with a new battery and CF card in place of the dead hard drive.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I'm a huge fan of the classic iPod; I use mine most days, and have an extensive music collection that I like to take with me when travelling (and I travel a lot).

Actually, the classic was my first Apple product, I'm a typical example of the so-called 'halo' effect leading to the purchase of Apple computers as a result of having bought, and loved, the iPod.

Even more than the form factor, (which I love), the sheer ease of use when ripping and burning (especially when compared with the tedium of burning and ripping CDs on the old Windows software - I lost count of the number of blank CDs that I destroyed accidentally), the fantastic sound quality, the wonderful portability, apart from all of that, Apple's excellent customer service was what won me over.

Sad to relate, the classic has one slight drawback sometimes, which is that some of them (equipped as they are with the old style HDD, rather than a SSD drive, as are the Touch and the nano) die a tragic death. The HDD simply lies down and dies. This happened to an iPod classic of mine, and, as it was still under warranty, it was replaced without any fuss. It happened again some years later (another HDD failure with another classic), which, as it was still under warranty, led to the same happy outcome. Thus, I became what is known in the parlance as a 'switcher' and have never regretted it.

Moreover, as long as the classic is made, I expect that I shall have one or two of them in my briefcase, or by my bedside (and, indeed, sometimes in my office, too) to keep me company. Nothing beats a classic as company on long plane journeys, or on trains, or a bus, or any form of transport where many hours separate you from your planned destination.

elemenoP

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2012
awwww, I had that model with the orange glow behind the icons. I loved it!

Now I have an ipod classic that I keep connected to my home stereo all the time. Long live the ipod classic! Besides the big hard drive, the other advantage is battery life. I only charge mine about once a month. What kind of battery life does the ipod nano get?

eP

terzinator

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
I have a classic I keep hooked up to the car's audio system (replaces the CD-changer)...

Yeah, I'll be sad when it finally gives up the ghost.

Pay for the music, though. It's the right thing to do. Pirates spend an inordinate amount of time and money with various schemes and software and whatnot to avoid paying for the actual music.

THAT'S what I can't get MY head around.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
the fantastic sound quality, the wonderful portability, apart from all of that, Apple's excellent customer service was what won me over.

I can't get my head round this. I have owned a ton of iPods and still have five or six that I use regularly, but compared with even a cheap Sansa Clip they all sound pretty mediocre. God knows they are not going to even begin to stack up against the likes of Cowon.

Sound quality is not Apple's forte. There is a lot more that contributes to clarity and faithfulness in reproduction than a DAC and that is where Apple seems to skimp or not have much of a clue.

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010

Thanks.

I had the same iPod. It stopped working. The issue was the usb cable I was using. I tried using the USB from my ipad and it wouldn't charge. Would give me a error. Then I found it's charger and it worked fine. I was annoyed about that so I sold it online and got a brand new nano 7g for 20 bucks more :D

TheGenerous

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2010
I'm an Austronaut
I'd invest in a small Cowon audio player like the iAudio 10 or the X9

design_3.jpg

overview_01.jpg

The audio in a Cowon device is superior to anything Apple yet. And it's drag and drop.

ekiro

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2013

Thanks.

Time to shoot it at a gun range?

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
I have that model iPod, from 2003. I read that a lot of people didn't like it because the controls were too complicated. I think it was a classic. Of course most people think the first version of something they purchased is the real classic.

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
I'd invest in a small Cowon audio player like the iAudio 10 or the X9

The audio in a Cowon device is superior to anything Apple yet. And it's drag and drop.

X9-Good sound and battery life, **** resistive low res touch screen and expensive not to mention dated looking. That plus rubbish music library navigation = buy an iPod. LOL.

I10 as above but **** sound.

Maybe you saw reviews for the z2 which is android based but produces excellent audio.

TheGenerous

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2010
I'm an Austronaut
X9-Good sound and battery life, **** resistive low res touch screen and expensive not to mention dated looking. That plus rubbish music library navigation = buy an iPod. LOL.

I10 as above but **** sound.

Maybe you saw reviews for the z2 which is android based but produces excellent audio.

Cowon sound is the best, not from reviews as you mention.
Dated looking? clearly you're not a product design person. Please educate yourself before commenting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.