Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vickadore

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
Bel Air, CA
Apparently started today if you want to exchange your iPhone 5S you got to get in line before the store open and they will give you the card just before the store open.
Any walk-in to get iPhone not available anymore, you got to buy it online and pick up at the store. This information was given by staff on Apple store Century City Los Angeles.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Repairs/replacements for the SAME device will be handled as they always have.

Why do people think they can buy a 16gb grey phone, change their mind about it and go to the store expecting a bump to the front of the line for a silver 32gb?

Last edited by a moderator:

Beezy253

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2013
Tacoma, WA
IMO, If you're wanting to exchange a phone you bought during launch weekend for a different color, you need to line up with everyone else looking for a specific color.

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
What's wrong with you people??? You all sound like spoiled kids. You cannot and will not have it your way all the time...

Deal with rejection, deal with disappointment. Deal with the fact that the world owes you nothing...

1981d

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2013
Wait, are you saying that nobody can walk into a store and make a purchase anymore, and that the apple stores are only selling 5s's through the website in conjunction with the store pickup option? Also, if you want to exchange, you have to line up prior to opening and get a reservation card in order to complete the exchange once they open?

Exio

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
Good, I hope this is true. I'm tried of snobs who feel entitled to abuse the system and make everyone wait even longer fo leather phone.

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I believe he is TRYING to say if you got white and wanted to exchange it for gold you have to either be there early and get a gold "in stock card" or order gold online. You cannot simply walk in and make an genius bar appointment and say i wanted gold.

This is not new. Apple never exchanged for color at the genius bar.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
I can confirm this is how it works. Being a novice who's never been to an Apple retail store, I had this very experience on Saturday.

I had talked to AppleCare support on the phone and asked about my options concerning an exchange. After determining that going to the retail store would yield the quickest turnaround, I asked what I needed to do. They actually (incorrectly) told me to make an appointment. So that's what I did.

I show up for my appt. and the nice girl takes my name and provides a description of what I'm wearing. I see a short line (maybe 5 people) outside of the store and I was told they were waiting for the 5s (so I know they have stock). I wait. and wait. and wait... and finally go up and clarify that I'm really just there for an exchange. She says "Oh, well, you don't need an appointment for that..." and adds my name to the queue of people who just need to speak to someone for sales (but aren't in line necessarily for a 5s).

So I continue to wait and finally re-clarified that I'd like to make an EXCHANGE if that's possible... She says "Oh yeah, well, you want to be in that line (gestures to the 5s line)". So I go in line, get my little card for a 5s and wait more lol.

No biggie really... I mean, I would have been rather ticked had I not been able to get one cause they ran out.... It *did* cost me an extra 40 minutes or so due to misinformation passed to me -- but again, not a big deal.

Probably like the OP, I was somwhat under the impression that if I were returning stock to them that they could re-sell (unopened iPhone 5s), I may not necessarily have to stand in the line. I'm not saying that "the world owes me" or saying that I'm elite or special in some way... simply misinformed about the process. It's not unreasonable to think that if I'm processing an exchange, it may work differently than a flat out purchase. It doesn't though. It's not really an "Exchange" so much as a "return" and then "purchase". The "Purchase" part puts you in the same boat (line) as the rest of them.....

Last edited:

metzy25

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
I exchanged my 16gb for a 32 gb 3 days after launch, and I waited just like everyone else did. And it's not abusing the system, the systems the way it is for a reason. If apple didn't want people to exchange there phones, then people wouldn't be allowed to exchange there phones.

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
I believe he is TRYING to say if you got white and wanted to exchange it for gold you have to either be there early and get gold or order gold. You cannot simply walk in and make an genius bar appointment and say i wanted gold.

This is not new. Apple never exchanged for color at the genius bar.

that sounds more like it.

Goodeye

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2009
Chandler Fashion center Apple store did this to me last week. When I bought my 16GB green 5C I walked in and out with it in 10 mins. Then Wed last week I had to get in line to swap it to a 32GB ones. Stood behind two people there to get a 5S.

My understanding was just due to the amount of techs setting up new phones for others. Seems it was possibly the start of new rules for the Apple stores. Still no biggy as it wasn't that long of a wait.

Finz72

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2012
Why is this a surprise? Repairs/replacements for the SAME device will be handled as they always have.

Why do people think they can buy a 16gb grey phone, change their mind about it and go to the store expecting a bump to the front of the line for a silver 32gb?

Agreed. The only exchange should be for a defective iphone at first. Give other people a chance to get a device before you get your two or three.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
If your exchanging because you don't like the color then yes you should take a number. If you waited to get your shiny new phone and it is a dud you should not have to get in line again.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
It's not really an "Exchange" so much as a "return" and then "purchase". The "Purchase" part puts you in the same boat (line) as the rest of them.....

As it should be.
And that's how it is at almost all retailers nowadays.
You make the return. You get your money back or you get a gift card. You go pick the item you really want. You get in line and purchase it.

fieldsphotos

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2013
Wait, are you saying that nobody can walk into a store and make a purchase anymore, and that the apple stores are only selling 5s's through the website in conjunction with the store pickup option? Also, if you want to exchange, you have to line up prior to opening and get a reservation card in order to complete the exchange once they open?

They did this last year when they opened the online reservation system. No walk in sales, you had to order for store pickup for the first couple weeks. Sux for those of us who want to pay full price for a VZW phone cause that ain't an option on the Apple online ordering system.

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.
If that is the truth that is a load. How about everyone who has already placed an order online that is in "processing" limbo.
Good job Tim!

metzy25

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
so how are we suppose to do an exchange if we cant do it online? i just talked to both apple stores near me, one lady said there not offering in store purchases and i told her i was looking to exchange? and she replied back with i have to talk to my carrier. but another store told me if they have stock i can do an exchange in store? is there away to get a phone through the online store for pick up then do an exchange?

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
Ive been around since every iPhone launch and this is by far the worst of them all.

ap105

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2011
No, there's no way to do a exchange online since you've already used your upgrade and wouldn't be able to get the upgrade price. But you can buy the phone at full retail and then when you go pick it up, ask for a return and exchange it with the one you have. Has anyone done that?

I might do it for a gold one down the road have until oct 25.

Is that sorta abusing the system? I think it is but there's no other way.

metzy25

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
No, there's no way to do a exchange online since you've already used your upgrade and wouldn't be able to get the upgrade price. But you can buy the phone at full retail and then when you go pick it up, ask for a return and exchange it with the one you have. Has anyone done that?

I might do it for a gold one down the road have until oct 25.

Is that sorta abusing the system? I think it is but there's no other way.

i figured there was no way to do it, ill do the same thing you stated if possible. but you have to be able to do an exchange in the store, otherwise apple isnt giving customers there exchange policy.

ap105

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2011
Yes in store. Via using the check stock and pick up in store option. I just wanna know if other people have done this method. Exchanging a pick up order with the one you currently have.

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
do the in store pickup option for the model you want. Pay full retail. When you get there tell them you did that just to hold the phone, they will return it and then reprocess it as an exchange for you. You will still have to be in an in store pickup line but this is the most efficient way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.