Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikesGravity

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
Southeast MI
I was going to write a full review but it's a case. I'll keep it short.

I went on a whim to the apple store and picked up the new (apple branded) leather $40 case. $40 seems steep since I am used to using sub-$10 cases but I figured what the heck.

I can't believe how much I love the thing. It fits my iPhone 5 PERFECTLY and still retains the thin, sleek look. It feels wonderful in my hand. It covers the top and bottom as well as the back obviously. It has a nice embossed apple logo which is nice to rest your index finger in when using it. My old cases used to hurt my pinky after a while as I rest the phone in my pinky.... it feels great using this case!

I'm just shocked how PERFECT it fits and feels. In what I thought was an attempt for apple to cash in on cases and make some extra dough, I think they actually perfected the minimal case design. $40 actually seems like a bargain after using this thing.

The Product Red looks real nice in person but I went with black (on black phone).

The fact that it will actually age and wear appeals to me - I think it's cool!

The BAD: The Amazon Essentials Lightening cord does not fit the cutout.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Good to hear positive reviews.

I bought two of them for my 2 x 5s phones. Beige for the white/silver model & black for the black model. Cases were delivered last week, phones elivered late this week...

rhino7

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
They are great cases, but don't get the yellow if you keep the phone in your jeans pocket. It very quickly starts gaining a blue tint.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
Hmm I wonder with these leather cases, and one of those glass screen protectors, it'd be decently protected?

s54

Suspended
Sep 25, 2012
I had a different take on the Apple cases while I was at the store. They look like vomit. And IMO they are not very slim-factor either. The Apple case still makes the otherwise slim iPhone 5/5S look much bulkier.

However, I will admit that they felt quite durable.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
It fits like a glove. I had the black version (for a white/silver iPhone 5s) but exchanged it for the light blue one. My only complaint is that it is VERY difficult to remove. Maybe it will get better over time, but I worry about scratching it or dropping the device when I try to take it out. I use a ProClip stand for my iPhone in my car. While they sell an adjustable one for use with cases, I'm not sure whether it will fit.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Is it easy to remove?

No. It is very difficult to remove. Only remove it while over a soft surface (like a bed or soft carpet). The tight fit and the microfiber lining creates a lot of friction while attempting to take it out. I find I need to gradually pry each corner out, and then try to push it out from the camera hole.

If anyone has a better idea, let me know.

Lazrhog

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2010
UK
I only have the case so far, but i am struck by how lightweight it is - which is important after the last speck case i had

SamTheeGeek

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2010
United Kingdom
I was going to write a full review but it's a case. I'll keep it short.

I went on a whim to the apple store and picked up the new (apple branded) leather $40 case. $40 seems steep since I am used to using sub-$10 cases but I figured what the heck.

I can't believe how much I love the thing. It fits my iPhone 5 PERFECTLY and still retains the thin, sleek look. It feels wonderful in my hand. It covers the top and bottom as well as the back obviously. It has a nice embossed apple logo which is nice to rest your index finger in when using it. My old cases used to hurt my pinky after a while as I rest the phone in my pinky.... it feels great using this case!

I'm just shocked how PERFECT it fits and feels. In what I thought was an attempt for apple to cash in on cases and make some extra dough, I think they actually perfected the minimal case design. $40 actually seems like a bargain after using this thing.

The Product Red looks real nice in person but I went with black (on black phone).

The fact that it will actually age and wear appeals to me - I think it's cool!

The BAD: The Amazon Essentials Lightening cord does not fit the cutout.

Thanks for that :D i really can't wait to see my brown 5s case ;)

ethereal45

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2007
Removal tip = use a soft pointed object and push gently on the camera cutout. Careful not to break the lens though :p

deraj090

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2010
I tried two different cases (black), and found them both to be VERY difficult to press the lock/unlock button. It completely removed the "click" feeling of the button, and required a great deal of effort to actually activate. I found that unless I was holding the phone firmly with my thumb and middle finger, it would slip out of my hand while pressing down on the lock/unlock w/ my pointer.

In the past, I've taped a small piece of paper to the inside of the case, to give the lock/unlock button a little more leverage (for lack of a better term). Has anyone done this with the leather case?

photodesign

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2013
Florida
Pops right off in 3 east steps.

Over a soft surface (in case you drop it):

1 Face the front away from you (so you are looking at the back).
2. Hold the top corners with your pointer and middle finger (right hand on right corner, left hand on left corner).
3. Push on the Apple logo (on case) with both thumbs.

orangezorki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
I really like my tan case. I can't see anything reasonably protective being smaller or slimmer, and the leather feels great in the hand. Also really complements the black face of the phone.

It's also proved well worth the cost already. Yesterday I was washing the car, listening to some podcasts, leaned over and it slipped out of my shirt pocket. Landed face down on the paving, and I thought the worst. Not a scratch. So it proves that for at least some drops the rim around the screen does the job.

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Oct 7, 2010
I really want one but have seen too many reports of it showing signs of heavy wear within DAYS. For a $5 case that is fine but for $40 i'd rather buy something that can last.

karmamule

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2008
Waltham, MA
Yeah I got bit by the amazon cable not fitting too.... The good news is I was getting a dock anyways and their cable fits the dock fine so i can still use it. :)

Gincoma

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2013
I got the brown case on Saturday and I loved the thing and the way it feels and its seems like quality leather. I was really looking forward to the wear with increased use but sadly Im going to return the case. If I plan on keeping my iphone for 3+ years I needed a case with a bit more protection so I put my Otterbox commuter series case back on. I just dont think the case will handle hard drops as good as I read a bunch of reviews about the leather tearing easily on it.

MikesGravity

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
Southeast MI
Yeah I got bit by the amazon cable not fitting too.... The good news is I was getting a dock anyways and their cable fits the dock fine so i can still use it. :)

Those amazon cables are nice though right? I discovered today... on the end of the amazon cable that black shroud around the actual connector, the part that is causing it not to fit, is two pieces. Take a small flat screwdriver and break the two sides free and remove that black piece. The internals do not all flop out, they stay nicely compact and it even looks cool. You can put a small piece of electrical tape on too if you want extra security. Works like a charm.

As for wear, it's supposed to wear. I put mine in and out of my pocket probably 100 times day, for 3 days now. Looks brand new.

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
I also bought the case and i love it! I was shocked how light and thin it was, i love the it feel in my hand, but like others said taking the phone out of it is a p.i.t.a.

karmamule

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2008
Waltham, MA
Those amazon cables are nice though right? I discovered today... on the end of the amazon cable that black shroud around the actual connector, the part that is causing it not to fit, is two pieces. Take a small flat screwdriver and break the two sides free and remove that black piece. The internals do not all flop out, they stay nicely compact and it even looks cool. You can put a small piece of electrical tape on too if you want extra security. Works like a charm.

As for wear, it's supposed to wear. I put mine in and out of my pocket probably 100 times day, for 3 days now. Looks brand new.

Yes, they are great cables! Plus they have the added benefit of being black. That's a benefit because for some reason one of my cats loves chewing on white cables and is far less likely to try chowing down on black ones. Go figure!

And, thanks for the tip, but while the cable fits their dock fine, when I went to use the phone in the case with the dock I discovered that the dock is too tightly fit to work in that case.

I tend to use my phones "naked" anyways, and between the cable and the dock that just arrived I'm going to just enjoy the phone as is and forget the case. (I am rather surprised the case and dock don't work together, since both are "official" products from Apple for the 5s)

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
IMO I think is over priced for what it is, but glad you are enjoying yours.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.