Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
It's October on the International Dateline.

Welcome to Photo of the Day. The POTD thread was started by iGary in May, 2006 and converted to a monthly thread in November 2007 by Arn. POTD is one of the most popular picture groups on MacRumors, often exceeding 500 posts and 20,000 views per month.

Photo of the Day is intended to be a showcase for your best pictures. There is no limit to your gear, just your imagination. P&S and film cameras are welcome along with DSLRs. There are no themes like the Weekly Contest, and no winners (or losers) either.

Policies

*One Photo per Day - Don't post more than one photo each day.

*Quote with Thumbnails - When you quote an image please restore it's thumbnail before replying. You can do this either by installing the AutoTIMG browser extension or by editing the code by hand.

*Multi-Quote - To comment on several photos, click the Multi-Quote button. This puts all your comments in one post. Multi-Quoting is required on all of the MacRumors forums.

*SFW (Safe for Work) only - This is a site - wide rule. If you wouldn't show it in a public place, then it's NSFW (not safe for work). Think before you post.

*Describe your photo - Tell what it is and where you took it. If you know the EXIF data of a photo, include it. The following EXIF fields are recommended: Camera, ISO, Focal Length, Shutter/Aperture and Lens.

*Photography forum tutorials - If you need any help with posting, try one of these tutorials.

Posting Photos to Photo Forums from Flickr and ImageShack

How to Quote, Multi-Quote and Edit Posts

Restoring Thumbnails in Photo Quotes (AutoTIMG Extension and Code Editing)

For One-Click Access, they are all here: Designer Dale's Google Docs Folder:

Note: Anyone may start the Photo of the Day thread on the first of the month GMT. Please copy a quote of this post or download the Welcome file from HERE when you do. Both maintain all the formatting and links.

** To see all of our past POTD threads please see the sticky thread here **

----------

Not quite perfectly symmetrical, but for a handheld quickie, I like it. I'll go back and get it bang-on soon, with a tripod. :eek:

_MG_5065_zps89a82127.jpg

kallisti

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2003
Yay, get to post 2 in one day (one for September and this for October). End of last month's thread was a shot of Rome at night.

Starting this month off with the city of Amalfi at night.

10028455784_eb1be631b4_c.jpg

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
Newfoundland Moose:

PHD_4719-L.jpg

Moose are not native to Newfoundland. As the story goes...in 1904 two breeding pairs were introduced for hunting/food purposes. Today the population hovers around 120,000.

It's not hard to guess what the moose are doing in their spare time. :)

Groucho123

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2007
BY, Germany
First Try

I have been following this forum for a while. Here's my first pictures. Played around with Lensbaby and Aperture this (last) summer. What do you think?

Groucho

Attachments

• IMG_0427.jpg
    IMG_0427.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_0428.jpg
    IMG_0428.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 202

rchip

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2011
Back to people for me!

As always, comments appreciated!

[url=http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7289/10000407874_d8e03be2d3_c.jpg]Image[/url]
Emma by acearchie, on Flickr

Your photos have such an amazing quality about them that is hard to put your finger on! Just had another browse through your flickr page and I just don't know how on earth you get so many amazing looking shots from what would look so ordinary if I took them!

Yay, get to post 2 in one day (one for September and this for October). End of last month's thread was a shot of Rome at night.

Beautiful! This photo has a massive wow factor.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Back to people for me!

As always, comments appreciated!

[url=http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7289/10000407874_d8e03be2d3_c.jpg]Image[/url]
Emma by acearchie, on Flickr

A very compelling portrait, acearchie.

Beautiful, Kallisti. The blue hour scene really helps to simplify the view, which can be a riot of colors and details during the day.

Looks like Fall is in full swing there. Lucky you!

themumu

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2011
Sunnyvale
View from the Lobster Cove Lighthouse, Rocky Harbour, Newfoundland.
Taken with the Fuji X100s, panorama mode. The single most memorable thing about that location at that time was not even the beautiful sunset colours, but the fierce and unstoppable beating of the waves. Click through for a bigger version. I'm thinking of making a canvas print out of this, maybe crop a bit of the far right first.

Untitled by FriskyFreeze, on Flickr

fcortese

macrumors demi-god
Apr 3, 2010
Big Sky country
I left a little earlier for work than usual to catch sunrise and the early autumn colors north of town. I lucked out when a streak of light broke through some of the clouds to the east and lit up the tops the the aspen trees in front of me. It lasted only for about a minute and then it was gone.

ho3i.jpg

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I left a little earlier for work than usual to catch sunrise and the early autumn colors north of town. I lucked out when a streak of light broke through some of the clouds to the east and lit up the tops the the aspen trees in front of me. It lasted only for about a minute and then it was gone.

Nice. Sometimes it's as simple as being in the right place at the right time. Helps when you have such a beautiful background as well.

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
Not quite perfectly symmetrical, but for a handheld quickie, I like it. I'll go back and get it bang-on soon, with a tripod. :eek:

Dude, if you went back and got one at night, maybe with some stars or clouds... photoshop in a galaxy and it would look even sicker than it does now :eek:

----------

Beautiful. Crazy how steep it is... Been to that Almafi coast myself and it's truly beautiful!

----------

Wow. Might have to purchase that shot. I like how it seems "techno" :D

Edit: one of my better ones, still using my Panasonic FZ-100. Working my way to a new Canon or Nikon ATM
4.jpg

Taken in Leiden on a trip with my grandmother to europe! Pretty much just a random shot though, nothing special...

Last edited:

fcortese

macrumors demi-god
Apr 3, 2010
Big Sky country

10028455784_eb1be631b4_c.jpg

OK, so I take back what I previously said. Now this is my favorite of your Italy pictures! I know where this was taken from. We rented a small house outside of Amalfi 3 years ago and took the local coastal bus system everywhere along the coast.

Beautiful autumn shot from Alaska. Thanks, AM.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Newfoundland Moose:

Moose are not native to Newfoundland. As the story goes...in 1904 two breeding pairs were introduced for hunting/food purposes. Today the population hovers around 120,000.

It's not hard to guess what the moose are doing in their spare time. :)

Hey! What is AlaskaMoose doing in Canada? :D:D
----------------------------

Thanks, fcortese

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.