Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Sep 30, 2013, 05:41 PM   #1
likemyorbs
Banned

Send a message via AIM to likemyorbs
If you can hunt for sport, are you capable of killing humans?

As you may or may not have heard, NBC's "Under Wild Skies" has been cancelled after it's NRA lobbyist host Tony Makris brutally killed an elephant by shooting it in the face multiple times and then compared his critics to Adolf Hitler. Not only did he kill the gentle giant, but he laughed as it gave out its last groan and then proceeded to celebrate with champagne. Here is the link to the story... LINK

In my view, anyone capable of killing an animal for sport and laughing as it groans in pain and dies is a sociopath. A person like this is a danger to society.

My question to you guys is this, do you think that killing animals for sport is a "gateway drug" to killing people? If you are so numb to the suffering of another living creature, are you a threat to civilized society?
likemyorbs is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2013, 05:47 PM   #2
aerok
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by likemyorbs View Post
As you may or may not have heard, NBC's "Under Wild Skies" has been cancelled after it's NRA lobbyist host Tony Makris brutally killed an elephant by shooting it in the face multiple times and then compared his critics to Adolf Hitler. Not only did he kill the gentle giant, but he laughed as it gave out its last groan and then proceeded to celebrate with champagne. Here is the link to the story... LINK

In my view, anyone capable of killing an animal for sport and laughing as it groans in pain and dies is a sociopath. A person like this is a danger to society.

My question to you guys is this, do you think that killing animals for sport is a "gateway drug" to killing people? If you are so numb to the suffering of another living creature, are you a threat to civilized society?
Some members here have openly posted that they would not think twice about killing a human being if they had the chance.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 05:49 PM   #3
likemyorbs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerok View Post
Some members here have openly posted that they would not think twice about killing a human being if they had the chance.
And we wonder how the holocaust was so successful...

I haven't seen any members say anything like that, but if they did I think it would warrant an FBI investigation. That's truly scary.
likemyorbs is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2013, 05:50 PM   #4
thekev
macrumors 603

Hunting animals on the endangered species list. Stay classy NRA. I don't care for NBC, but I'm still surprised they planned to air such a thing.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 05:53 PM   #5
likemyorbs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekev View Post
I don't care for NBC, but I'm still surprised they planned to air such a thing.
They DID air it. Then they apologized for ever airing it and cancelled the show. I too am amazed it ever made it past the editing room.
likemyorbs is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2013, 05:53 PM   #6
tshrimp
macrumors 6502

Quote:

Absolutely not. Animals are not people, no matter how much PETA and some others like to act like they are. However, I have never personally met a hunter that condoned the suffering of the animal, and usually if wounded they will try and end the suffering all together.
tshrimp is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2013, 05:54 PM   #7
likemyorbs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshrimp View Post
Absolutely not. Animals are not people, no matter how much PETA and some others like to act like they are.
Killing for food is one thing, killing for sport (aka for fun) and laughing as a living creature moans in pain and finding this entertaining is normal behavior to you? Not sociopathic at all?

FYI: Elephants in particular are very human-like in their emotions. They are self aware creatures capable of thought, memory, self awareness, and they even have a primitive form of society amongst themselves. They mourn for the death of their loved ones. You think its ok for humans to kill them for fun just because they're not humans?
likemyorbs is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2013, 06:00 PM   #8
ElectronGuru
macrumors 65816

Humans are well capable of compartmentalizing. What changes from area to area or time to time or group to group is who is the us and who/what are the them.

We put considerable effort into defining what it means to be human. It usually starts with how we are different.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 06:01 PM   #9
aerok
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Killing for food is one thing, killing for sport (aka for fun) and laughing as a living creature moans in pain and finding this entertaining is normal behavior to you? Not sociopathic at all?

FYI: Elephants in particular are very human-like in their emotions. They are self aware creatures capable of thought, memory, self awareness, and they even have a primitive form of society amongst themselves. They mourn for the death of their loved ones. You think its ok for humans to kill them for fun just because they're not humans?
I'm not an aminal activist or something but I could not even bring myself to kill a rat... All mammals feel pain and have emotions just like humans do.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 06:01 PM   #10
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Animals are not people
People are animals.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 06:06 PM   #11
likemyorbs
Banned

Quote:
I'm not an aminal activist or something but I could not even bring myself to kill a rat... All mammals feel pain and have emotions just like humans do.
I'm far from an animal activist as well. I very much enjoy eating meat. However, I think that someone who actually ENJOYS killing animals, and not for food but for fun, and ENJOYS watching them suffer, is a threat to society.
likemyorbs is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2013, 06:07 PM   #12
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
They DID air it. Then they apologized for ever airing it and cancelled the show. I too am amazed it ever made it past the editing room.
It's just weird to me that someone green-lit that edit when it was an automatic show killer. He is essentially a walking stereotype.

Quote:
Absolutely not. Animals are not people, no matter how much PETA and some others like to act like they are. However, I have never personally met a hunter that condoned the suffering of the animal, and usually if wounded they will try and end the suffering all together.
Regardless of your opinion on hunting for sport, I cannot see how anyone could condone hunting endangered animals whose populations have suffered due to poaching over the years. I'm not sure how you even communicate with imbeciles like the one depicted in that article. If someone shot him in the face it might halt his destructive nature, but it doesn't really solve the overall moron problem. If anything it escalates the cultural issue.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 06:10 PM   #13
Ugg
macrumors 68000

I believe I've read somewhere that kids who pull the wings off flies and torture cats and dogs tend to be sociopaths. I wouldn't be surprised if this bozo did that when he was young.

If you're a pro, you want to kill an animal with a clean shot, not repeatedly shoot it in the face. This guy is sick.
Ugg is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2013, 06:16 PM   #14
likemyorbs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekev View Post
It's just weird to me that someone green-lit that edit when it was an automatic show killer.
Maybe that was the point? If they decided to cancel the show for no other reason, they would have been accused by the NRA of canceling the show because they're a bunch of liberal media tree huggers who only wanted the show gone because it's hosted by an NRA lobbyist. (Which in my view would have been enough reason by itself)

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugg View Post
I believe I've read somewhere that kids who pull the wings off flies and torture cats and dogs tend to be sociopaths. I wouldn't be surprised if this bozo did that when he was young.
Yep, there are boat loads of studies done about kids who torture animals, and they do grow up to be sociopaths. Here we have an example of an adult torturing an animal, what's the difference?
likemyorbs is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2013, 06:29 PM   #15
aerok
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Maybe that was the point? If they decided to cancel the show for no other reason, they would have been accused by the NRA of canceling the show because they're a bunch of liberal media tree huggers who only wanted the show gone because it's hosted by an NRA lobbyist. (Which in my view would have been enough reason by itself)

----------

Yep, there are boat loads of studies done about kids who torture animals, and they do grow up to be sociopaths. Here we have an example of an adult torturing an animal, what's the difference?
It's actually worse in my opinion
Old Sep 30, 2013, 06:46 PM   #16
Sydde
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Sociopaths tend to be nominally functioning members of society who are overly self-centered. I think the more appropriate term for a person who revels in the pain of an animal would be "psychopath". Such people are a serious danger to society and should get aggressive treatment for their condition, up to and including quilted confinement.

I hope shrink has an opinion to offer on this.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 06:47 PM   #17
aerok
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydde View Post
Sociopaths tend to be nominally functioning members of society who are overly self-centered. I think the more appropriate term for a person who revels in the pain of an animal would be "psychopath". Such people are a serious danger to society and should get aggressive treatment for their condition, up to and including quilted confinement.
So are people that have no trouble imagining killing human beings. I certainly fear some members on this board.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 06:48 PM   #18
likemyorbs
Banned

Quote:
So are people that have no trouble imagining killing human beings. I certainly fear some members on this board.
Who said that?
likemyorbs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2013, 06:50 PM   #19
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

He's behind you.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 06:50 PM   #20
astrorider
macrumors 6502

Yep, this is sick. But IMO unless you're a vegan your own behavior is only a slight shade of grey different than this hosts. Many of the cows, chickens, pigs, etc. you enjoy eating lead a significantly more miserable existence than that elephant before they end up on your plate.
astrorider is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2013, 06:55 PM   #21
Sydde
macrumors 68000

Quote:
The problem is that, in US at least, the idea that taking a person out is a solution tends to be rather pervasive and possibly even tacitly countenanced. Our culture seems to support our atavistic tendencies, even if society mostly condemns the idea. Consider, as a small example, a TV series (which I have only heard about) called Dexter. Or any Bond/Norris/van Damme/Schwarzenegger/etc movie, where the bad guy always gets it.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 06:57 PM   #22
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
I don't think so. I think most people tend to emphasize with animals moreso than people because they're so small and are almost completely defenseless against us, whereas we tend to look at people as equals.

But people have a much more developed sense of self than most animals have. They do feel fear and pain roughly the same way we do, but we have a deeper, more poignant understanding of what is happening to us. Like if some mean bastard were to cut of a dog's leg, it'd be afraid while it was happening, and it would feel a great deal of pain. But after a few months of resting and recuperating, the dog would be hopping along just fine. No, it wouldn't run as fast, or be able to do quite as much as it once could, but it'd still be perfectly happy. A person losing a leg would experience a profound sense of loss that would linger for far, far longer than any physical pains. They're aware of what they've lost, and what they can no longer do.

It's cruel to hurt an animal for fun. It's even more cruel to do the same thing to a human being.
Renzatic is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2013, 07:01 PM   #23
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydde View Post
The problem is that, in US at least, the idea that taking a person out is a solution tends to be rather pervasive and possibly even tacitly countenanced.
In any sane country, this sentence would be on the subject of dating.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
But people have a much more developed sense of self than most animals have. They do feel fear and pain roughly the same way we do, but we have a deeper, more poignant understanding of what is happening to us. Like if some mean bastard were to cut of a dog's leg, it'd be afraid while it was happening, and it would feel a great deal of pain. But after a few months of resting and recuperating, the dog would be hopping along just fine. No, it wouldn't run as fast, or be able to do quite as much as it once could, but it'd still be perfectly happy. A person losing a leg would experience a profound sense of loss that would linger for far, far longer than any physical pains. They're aware of what they've lost, and what they can no longer do.

It's cruel to hurt an animal for fun. It's even more cruel to do the same thing to a human being.
There is very little difference. Everything you say about the dog applies to a human.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 07:04 PM   #24
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunk View Post
There is very little difference. Everything you say about the dog applies to a human.
Not necessarily. Everything feels pain and fear, but there's a deeply emotional level of suffering a person will go through that an animal won't. When you hurt a person, you're hurting them in more ways than you could hurt a dog or a cat.
Renzatic is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2013, 07:04 PM   #25
aerok
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Who said that?
I'd have to go back to discussions in the past concerning Gun Control but here is one:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...&postcount=217

Quote:
If it were my own home, the uninvited can expect not to leave without the assistance of a coroner.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues