Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SonRK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
I tried to charge my macbook and saw it didn't power it.

I checked the wires and saw this:

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/3825/es8.JPG

Looks like it burnt/overheated or something. This is a late 2011 Macbook Air, do you think it's possible for a free replacement, or do I have to bite the bullet and pay like $60 for a new power supply?

I guess it was also weakened by always being bent around there, so they can argue it was just abuse?

checkitout

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2009
Do you know which end to hold a soldering iron?

Standard death of a Mac power supply.

If Apple doesn't exchange that for you, don't discard it:

You can repair it if you know how to apply cable end sleeves/ferrules (and have the crimping pliers for that).
Carefully cut off the rubber hose close to the case (without damaging the cable inside), isolate the two stranded cables, put on end sleeves, do the same with the cable (noting which is which), and wire them together with screw terminals. Liberally apply electrical tape so it doesn't come apart (you can wrap around the rabbit ears to provide some stability). Works like new :)

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
When did you buy your MBA exactly? If you don't have AppleCare, the standard 1-year Apple warranty is over. But you can file a claim with your credit card if you're still within 2 years of your purchase date. Otherwise, see what Apple says. At worst, you'll have to buy a new charger. At best, they'll swap it out for free.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
4r Power Plug Longevity suggest stowage this way:

Attachments

• Power.jpg
    Power.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 102

lucasfer899

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
London
Same thing happened to me, apple store demanded £50 for a replacement, um no. They didn't have any serial numbers or anything from me yet, so I told them where they could stick their power adapter, got back in the car. Arrived at regents street to smiling apple store employees and a free replacement psu.

You *might* be lucky.

lucasfer899

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
London
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.