Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Oct 1, 2013, 01:30 AM   #1
Technarchy
macrumors 601

Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) Website is live.

And here it is, after all the politics predictions of the apocalypse and a showdown that is shutting down the government, the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) website is live for your enrollment.

https://www.healthcare.gov/

Traffic is super high so and it sucks so it is hard to get through some processes currently, but now it's time to see who will be on the right side of history.

Is this a new era, like the beginning of social security, or something much worse?

It all begins tonight.
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2013, 01:35 AM   #2
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post
And here it is, after all the politics predictions of the apocalypse and a showdown that is shutting down the government, the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) website is live for your enrollment.

https://www.healthcare.gov/

Traffic is super high so and it sucks so it is hard to get through some processes currently, but now it's time to see who will be on the right side of history.

Is this a new era, like the beginning of social security, or something much worse?

It all begins tonight.

Was adding the statement in bold really necessary?
iMikeT is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2013, 02:43 PM   #3
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a

It all worked for me. I looked at the national and state site, checked out some plans. Pretty much everything but sign up. It all looked pretty reasonable and everything worked. I imagine it will get very, very busy right before the signup deadline. Of course, I don't need to use it. But, I can think of at least 4 people I know who have been waiting anxiously for this day, and, will keep waiting anxiously until January 1st.
jnpy!$4g3cwk is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2013, 08:33 PM   #4
Technarchy
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnpy!$4g3cwk View Post
It all worked for me. I looked at the national and state site, checked out some plans. Pretty much everything but sign up. It all looked pretty reasonable and everything worked. I imagine it will get very, very busy right before the signup deadline. Of course, I don't need to use it. But, I can think of at least 4 people I know who have been waiting anxiously for this day, and, will keep waiting anxiously until January 1st.
I still can't get totally through the sign up process. Servers are probably flooded all to hell.

Though, this is, in my humble opinion, a sign that a wall of people reject the healthcare system as it was, and are willing to give Obamacare a chance.

This is bad for the current GOP holdouts who want to shut down the government over de-funding of Obamacare. As I said in another thread, the GOP are betting on the wrong horse here, especially when the foundation of Obamacare is Romneycare which is the product of a Heritage Foundation think tank.
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2013, 08:53 PM   #5
Josh125
macrumors regular

I was able to navigate the site without issue. I didn't realize that ACA doesn't provide for adult dentistry. While I understand dental visits typically are covered separate from health care it seems like it should fall under ACA. Just my view. Site works well and is easy to understand, looks pretty good.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 09:03 PM   #6
Spacial
macrumors 6502

Just wait till the slap of reality clobbers those who know little or nothing about the facts. The spin that's been applied to shove this down Americas throat was particularly masterful. Now comes the true story. Fasten your seatbelts and get ready to part with massive sums of money on premiums, deductibles & the like. Don't believe it? No problem keep your head in the sand for a few short years & then you'll really have your eyes opened.
Spacial is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2013, 09:12 PM   #7
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacial View Post
Just wait till the slap of reality clobbers those who know little or nothing about the facts. The spin that's been applied to shove this down Americas throat was particularly masterful. Now comes the true story. Fasten your seatbelts and get ready to part with massive sums of money on premiums, deductibles & the like. Don't believe it? No problem keep your head in the sand for a few short years & then you'll really have your eyes opened.
Yeah? What is it about Obamacare that leads you to believe we'll eventually be forced to pay considerably more than what we're paying now?
Renzatic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2013, 09:22 PM   #8
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Attention:

Due to overwhelming interest in the NY State of Health - including 2 million visits in the first 2 hours of the site launch - the health exchange is currently having log in issues. We encourage users who are unable to log in to come back to the site later when these issues will be resolved.
Wow .... Obamacare is so unpopular.
LIVEFRMNYC is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2013, 09:29 PM   #9
Spacial
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
Yeah? What is it about Obamacare that leads you to believe we'll eventually be forced to pay considerably more than what we're paying now?
I did the work to study the program created by the president I voted for the first time. Now with a vastly changed attitude and a propensity to focus on secret meetings & executive privilege... I hardly recognize the man who once championed working together & "Yes We Can".

To your question, there is no short answer and I wouldn't even try to summarize it. But if you care about your loved ones, study it closely and get ready for the challenge of your life. Overly dramatic? Not a chance. Oh how I wish I was wrong.
Spacial is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2013, 09:50 PM   #10
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
To your question, there is no short answer and I wouldn't even try to summarize it. But if you care about your loved ones, study it closely and get ready for the challenge of your life. Overly dramatic? Not a chance. Oh how I wish I was wrong.
Don't just tell me to read up on it to discover the truth. Give me an example here. Something to work towards in my quest for The Truth.
Renzatic is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2013, 10:02 PM   #11
Ugg
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to Ugg
Quote:
I did the work to study the program created by the president I voted for the first time. Now with a vastly changed attitude and a propensity to focus on secret meetings & executive privilege... I hardly recognize the man who once championed working together & "Yes We Can".

Ooooh, I love melodrama when I'm eating dinner, please tell me more!
Old Oct 1, 2013, 10:09 PM   #12
Spacial
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Don't just tell me to read up on it to discover the truth. Give me an example here. Something to work towards in my quest for The Truth.
Respectfully. Don't be lazy. That's what got us in this mess & continues to endorse the lies being told from the top. If you aren't man or woman enough to do the work & study it, you're in for the shock of your life. You can't be prepared to make your own decisions based on looking to others to do the work for you. Sooner or later you'll pay the price. O-Care or any other real world challenge. It's only getting tougher.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugg View Post
Ooooh, I love melodrama when I'm eating dinner, please tell me more!
Certainly you must have Tums around.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 10:14 PM   #13
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Respectfully. Don't be lazy. That's what got us in this mess & continues to endorse the lies being told from the top. If you aren't man or woman enough to do the work & study it, you're in for the shock of your life. You can't be prepared to make your own decisions based on looking to others to do the work for you. Sooner or later you'll pay the price. O-Care or any other real world challenge. It's only getting tougher.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. You can't just waltz into a conversation, scream about the sky falling, then tell everyone to do their own research about meteorites and zodiac alignments to back up your claim.

You're the one being lazy here, not me. It's your job to back up your argument. Not mine. You have to prove what you're saying to me. That's how this big crazy thing called debating works.
Renzatic is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2013, 10:26 PM   #14
Spacial
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. You can't just waltz into a conversation, scream about the sky falling, then tell everyone to do their own research about meteorites and zodiac alignments to back up your claim.

You're the one being lazy here, not me. It's your job to back up your argument. Not mine. You have to prove what you're saying to me. That's how this big crazy thing called debating works.
The test of time will tell the tale.

I don't have to "prove anything to anyone".

Want to be demanding? Try someone else.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 10:40 PM   #15
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Then why did you bother joining in on the debate at all? You're not throwing us an opinion piece to chew on, you're claiming something that needs verifiable facts to back up your statements. You didn't provide those facts, therefore I can't take anything you've said seriously.

So yeah, from what you've said, you have everything to prove to everyone who bothered reading your post. Otherwise everything you've said is an empty, worthless statement that means absolutely nothing.
Renzatic is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2013, 10:41 PM   #16
Hugh
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:

It's not how it works here. I suggest that you read the posting rules in PRSI. It's on top of the list of topics and it's a sticky. The burden is on you to back up what you are saying, to give it more of a reason why you are right.

Hugh

EDITED: I was beaten to the to it.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 12:04 AM   #17
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
I did the work to study the program created by the president I voted for the first time. Now with a vastly changed attitude and a propensity to focus on secret meetings & executive privilege.

Grammatical gibberish and utter nonsense.
Blue Velvet is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2013, 12:28 AM   #18
Spacial
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Velvet View Post
Grammatical gibberish and utter nonsense.
Grammar is the last thing I care about when quickly writing a casual post. Utter nonsense is your take now. A year from now you'll wonder why you felt that way. Enjoy the denial you've chosen.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 12:55 AM   #19
hulugu
macrumors 68000

Quote:

Well, there's this rule from the moderators of this forum:

Quote:
...Guidelines: Be willing to engage in fact-based, constructive debate. Look for ways to inform and learn from others.

...Sources. If you make claims of fact but don't cite sources when requested, the posts may be removed.
The biggest question is how you came to understand the ACA would raise premiums and prices when economists and analysts disagree with you. This raises an important point and you could provide specific examples, text, analogies, etc. in order to illustrate your point.

You have engaged in a debate and since we're all interested in learning from others, a source would appreciated.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 11:47 AM   #20
samiwas
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. You can't just waltz into a conversation, scream about the sky falling, then tell everyone to do their own research about meteorites and zodiac alignments to back up your claim..
Of course he can. Fox News made a 24-hour news channel out of exactly this sort of thing, and people like him eat. it. up. He's not giving you any proof because he doesn't have any, and he doesn't think you need any. He knows that there are many people out there who will fall for it hook, line, and sinker without any shred of evidence. He did.

----------

I haven't been able to log in because the system is too bogged down.

I have full insurance, but I want to see what they have to offer.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 12:00 PM   #21
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas View Post
I have full insurance, but I want to see what they have to offer.

If you're in Georgia, you may be disappointed because your governor is doing everything in his power to wreck it.

Quote:
With less than three weeks to go before the Oct. 1 start date, Georgia’s Republican governor and insurance commissioner are doing everything in their power to make it hard to attract people to Georgia’s exchange.

In a speech last month, Ralph Hudgens, Georgia’s insurance commissioner, reassured an audience of Republican Party faithful that he’s solving the “problem” of Obamacare in Georgia by doing “everything in our power to be an obstructionist.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...obamacare.html

What's more, in South Georgia:

Quote:
"The variation in premiums is related to a number of factors, including different product and issuer mixes across states, different levels of competition, state choices in Marketplace implementation, and regional variation in prices paid to providers."

Gov. Nathan Deal decided not to accept millions of dollars from the federal government to expand the state's Medicaid system, so the federal government set up an exchange that is supposed to let uninsured Georgians shop for the health care plan that best suits them. The problem in our area is that Blue Cross Blue Shield is the only company offering plans through the exchange, so choice is limited.

http://www.walb.com/story/23585386/w...ve-in-south-ga

Blue Cross Blue Shield donated $25,000 to the governor's PAC.

In many other countries in the world, this would be called bribery.
Blue Velvet is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2013, 12:14 PM   #22
samiwas
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Velvet View Post
Blue Cross Blue Shield donated $25,000 to the governor's PAC.

In many other countries in the world, this would be called bribery.
That's an interesting one. We were on Blue Cross Blue Shield because there was literally only one plan for individuals in the state of Georgia that had a maternity rider on it. And we paid a lot for it.

Not shocking that Governor Deal is doing what he can to wreck it.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 05:41 PM   #23
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas View Post
That's an interesting one. We were on Blue Cross Blue Shield because there was literally only one plan for individuals in the state of Georgia that had a maternity rider on it. And we paid a lot for it.

Not shocking that Governor Deal is doing what he can to wreck it.

Here's an interesting story:

Meet Butch Matthews, A Republican Who Came To Love Obamacare After Realizing It Will Save Him $13,000

Quote:
Butch Matthews is a 61-year-old former small business owner from Little Rock, Arkansas who used to wake up every morning at 4 A.M. to deliver canned beverages to retailers before retiring in 2010. A lifelong Republican, he was heavily skeptical of the Affordable Care Act when it first passed. “I did not think that Obamacare was going to be a good plan, I did not think that it was going to help me at all,” he told ThinkProgress over the phone.

But after doing a little research, Matthews eventually realized how much the law could help him. And on Tuesday, his local Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS) provider confirmed that he would be able to buy a far better plan than his current policy while saving at least $13,000 per year through Arkansas’ Obamacare marketplace.
Quote:
Matthews was self-employed between 1997 and 2010, meaning he had to purchase his own plan on the individual market. He chose a Blue Cross Blue Shield plan for himself and his wife that charged a $250 per month premium and had a $2,000 deductible. But the price of that policy kept rising even as it covered fewer of his costs, eventually devolving into his current rate of $1,069 per month with a $10,000 deductible. At this point, it doesn’t even cover his medication or doctors’ visits — particularly concerning considering he had to have two stents placed in his heart in 2006.
“I do not work now, I’m 61, and we do have assets saved up. But still, to come up with that $1,069 per month….” he said, trailing off. “I went to Blue Cross Blue Shield, and they don’t even sell that plan anymore, but I could not change it to anything else. So I was locked in with it.”

That all changed once Obamacare’s state-level marketplaces opened to the public on Tuesday. Matthews knew that, at his income level, the law would help him pay for insurance. But even he might not have expected just how good of a deal he could get: his new coverage will cost him absolutely nothing in monthly premiums after factoring in federal subsidies, and has a deductible of $750.

“Which is a lot different from $10,000,” he pointed out, laughing.

The mid-level “Silver” policy that he picked out also offers a significantly better benefits package. “It’s a lot better plan,” Matthews said. His old plan was considered to be “Bronze” and had much higher co-pays. Under Obamacare, when Matthews visits a doctor, it will no longer cost him around $150. It will cost $8.

So what would Matthews tell other Americans who are skeptical about Obamacare? “I would tell them to learn more about it before they start talking bad about it,” he noted. “Be more informed, get more information, take your time and study and not just go by just what you hear on one side or the other. Actually check the facts on it.”

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2013...acare-convert/

My emphasis. So while there's a tiny minority of bitter people bitching about moochers and so on, there are far more people like Butch Matthews that will be helped by this law.
Blue Velvet is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2013, 08:42 PM   #24
Jschultz
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Jschultz
I've grown exceedingly frustrated trying to get in and check out what rates for my wife would look like. When I finally can get through, I'm getting error messages. My wife's income is low enough that I think she'll be better off than what they offer her at her job.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 08:50 PM   #25
vega07
macrumors 65816

Quote:

Give me a break.
vega07 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues