Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Oct 1, 2013, 03:12 AM   #1
JPM42
macrumors regular

Wrong E-Mail Address Keeps Appearing: Unable to Restore iCloud Backup on iPhone 5S

So, I'm turning on my iPhone 5S to set up, and as I enter in my Apple ID and password to restore from iCloud backup, it asks me to choose my backup. So I choose it, but then it asks me to enter the password of my Apple ID for purchases on the iTunes Store. The problem is that, on this screen, the Apple ID (e-mail address) changes to an incredibly old one that I haven't used in years. Thus, when I try to enter my password in, it keeps rejecting it. Setting a new password, nothing accepts it. It's really weird, because I've never had this issue before. In fact, just last week, I did a restore on my iPad, and this didn't appear at all.

Does anyone know what's causing this and how to fix this? I'd really love to start using this phone.

Thanks!
JPM42 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2013, 06:42 AM   #2
Birdmanrsx
macrumors newbie

There is an app or Apps in your backup which are tied to your old ID, or someone else's ID, ( old device Jailbroken?). An old email address just wouldn't pop up. Let all your other apps restore and then look for the one that is still grey'd out/waiting and once everything is done, tap on it and it should try to download it again thus prompting you to enter the password for that email. If it is a free app, remove it and re-download it with the right apple ID. If it is paid, well figure out your old email password to download it. If your previous devices was jailbroken, and it was a paid app'd downloaded for free, it wont work.
Birdmanrsx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2013, 06:47 AM   #3
deeddawg
macrumors 601

I encountered that at first with my launch day 5s, I just skipped that ancient ID. Couldn't find anything missing. Saw a couple of popups over the next few days as I left wifi about connecting to wifi to restore purchases.

More recently I did a backup to my computer and restored the phone after a swiftunlocks.com unlock and it was fine.
deeddawg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2013, 07:15 AM   #4
tworth23
macrumors member

Same thing here

Hey Guys,
I had the same thing happen to me after using the website swiftunlocks.com. After I restored my wife's iphone, I continued getting a pop up in itunes app requesting me to enter my acct info, it was strange email address that NEVER was associated with my account. Additionally, when I purchased my 5s I attempted to do icloud backup and had the SAME EXACT ISSUE AS OP. I think it has something to do with the swiftunlocks unlocking our phones. I emailed support for swiftunlocks, the guy responded buy did not offer me any advice.
tworth23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2013, 07:24 AM   #5
deeddawg
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeddawg View Post
More recently I did a backup to my computer and restored the phone after a swiftunlocks.com unlock and it was fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tworth23 View Post
I think it has something to do with the swiftunlocks unlocking our phones. I emailed support for swiftunlocks, the guy responded buy did not offer me any advice.
Umm, no. Nothing to do with swiftunlocks unless they own a time machine.

Re-read my post; I saw the problem on the restore from icloud when I first bought the phone. I didn't have it after the swiftunlocks unlock.

The difference being that (a) the first restore was from an icloud backup of my 4S (running iOS7 GM) after buying my 5s on launch day and (b) the second restore was from an itunes backup of the 5s a week later after doing the swiftunlocks unlock.

The issue may be from using an icloud backup, or it may be from using a backup of a different model phone, or perhaps even related to using a backup from a phone upgraded to iOS7 or that was on iOS7 GM. I don't see where swiftunlocks would have anything to do with it whatsoever.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 07:51 AM   #6
tworth23
macrumors member

Deedawg

I read your post. What I'm telling you is that I believe it has something to do with swiftunlocks because prior to unlocking my wife's phone with swiftunlocks, I've done icloud restores with no issue. Directly after restore and upon attempting to do iCloud restore, I experienced same issue as OP where I received Random pop-ups with an unknown email address to enter my iTunes info. Then, when trying to restore from icloud backup on my brand-new 5S, This unknown email address was grayed out and I was not able to enter my correct email address for my iTunes info, just like the OP. I believe it is a swift unlocks issue but I have no proof of that, it never happened before to me prior to doing the unlocking
tworth23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2013, 11:27 AM   #7
deeddawg
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworth23 View Post
I read your post. What I'm telling you is that I believe it has something to do with swiftunlocks because prior to unlocking my wife's phone with swiftunlocks, I've done icloud restores with no issue.
What is your theory for why I experienced the issue on a brand new locked phone when I'd never done anything with swiftunlocks? How would they have had anything to do with my phone when I'd never done anything at all with them until a week later?

I'm also curious as to the mechanism you believe is involved.

I also don't see anything in the OP regarding swiftunlocks.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 12:34 PM   #8
Silverbird0000
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Silverbird0000
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPM42 View Post
So, I'm turning on my iPhone 5S to set up, and as I enter in my Apple ID and password to restore from iCloud backup, it asks me to choose my backup. So I choose it, but then it asks me to enter the password of my Apple ID for purchases on the iTunes Store. The problem is that, on this screen, the Apple ID (e-mail address) changes to an incredibly old one that I haven't used in years. Thus, when I try to enter my password in, it keeps rejecting it. Setting a new password, nothing accepts it. It's really weird, because I've never had this issue before. In fact, just last week, I did a restore on my iPad, and this didn't appear at all.

Does anyone know what's causing this and how to fix this? I'd really love to start using this phone.

Thanks!
It also has to do with music. If you have ever pirated music, which most everyone has, and that music was originally purchased using someone else's ID, it will ask you for their password. Just cancel putting in their password and re-sync music from your iTunes library. It should fix it.
Silverbird0000 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2013, 12:56 PM   #9
alent1234
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeddawg View Post
What is your theory for why I experienced the issue on a brand new locked phone when I'd never done anything with swiftunlocks? How would they have had anything to do with my phone when I'd never done anything at all with them until a week later?

I'm also curious as to the mechanism you believe is involved.

I also don't see anything in the OP regarding swiftunlocks.

maybe to unlock a phone you need a database entry on Apple's or AT&T servers and the guy who does it uses the same one. apple picks this up and you get your mystery messages
alent1234 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2013, 01:15 PM   #10
deeddawg
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by alent1234 View Post
maybe to unlock a phone you need a database entry on Apple's or AT&T servers and the guy who does it uses the same one. apple picks this up and you get your mystery messages
As far as I know, time travel was not introduced with iOS 7.

I experienced the problem A WEEK BEFORE doing the unlock.

Props to Silverbird000 for a logical explanation that doesn't require unknown physics. The extra ID I saw was an old AppleID I haven't used in a long time that I might have purchased a couple songs under.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 01:20 PM   #11
TSX
macrumors 68030

This has happened to me the past couple of years, and it happened to me this year. It has nothing to do with swift unlocks. I think it's more of an icloud issue if anything. I just put my own ID and password and the pop up's stop.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 08:22 PM   #12
tofesofie
macrumors newbie

Having the same problem. iCloud login has an old apple id and can't change it. Also can't use the password for the old id. As a result I can't use iCloud or reset the phone, because of find my iphone using the same id. Hoping this will be resolved soon.
tofesofie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2014, 08:20 PM   #13
bioxilay
macrumors newbie

I deleted all chat history in Whatsapp. I've checked that there are data backup in icloud. But how can I restore them from icloud. Can anybody tell me how to do step by step.
bioxilay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2014, 12:52 AM   #14
PNutts
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioxilay View Post
I deleted all chat history in Whatsapp. I've checked that there are data backup in icloud. But how can I restore them from icloud. Can anybody tell me how to do step by step.
You should create a new thread so people will see your question.
PNutts is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone