Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jay A whY

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2009
For those that are using a Verizon 5S on AT&T...

How are you going about activating a new/replacement AT&T SIM with a Verizon branded 5S?

Any issues with AT&T CSR questioning the Verizon IMEI?

Does your Verizon IMEI match on AT&T's network?

pat.micunnis

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2013
None - I just swapped the SIM's. Didn't even call AT&T.

The only issue is the apps which aren't loading on my phone from a restore (prob. because I used different Apple ID's to download them).

Jay A whY

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2009
Verizon 5S on AT&T, replacing/activating a "defective/new" AT&T SIM?

None - I just swapped the SIM's. Didn't even call AT&T.

The only issue is the apps which aren't loading on my phone from a restore (prob. because I used different Apple ID's to download them).

I did the same with my i5..

Does your Verizon i5S' IMEI correspond correctly on AT&T's network? (Mine doesn't match, could this lead to issues, like those with AT&T i5S IMEI miss match, rolling between LTE and 4G connections)

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I did the same with my i5..

Does your Verizon i5S's IMEI correspond correctly on AT&T's network? (Mine doesn't match, could this lead to issues, like those with AT&T i5S IMEI miss match, rolling between LTE and 4G connections)

I have not noticed any issues connecting to LTE on my Verizon iPhone 5s with an AT&T SIM. All AT&T can tell is that you are running an iPhone 5s. They don't care whether it's a "Verizon," "T-Mobile," or "AT&T" model.

Jay A whY

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2009
They don't care whether it's a "Verizon," "T-Mobile," or "AT&T" model.

...the network doesn't care, but AT&T CSR might give you a hard time.. Called last night to confirm/change my IMEI and SIM. When they asked for the IMEI they wouldn't change it due to the i5S being a Verizon device. Trying again maybe better luck with a different CSR..

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
...the network doesn't care, but AT&T CSR might give you a hard time.. Called last night to confirm/change my IMEI and SIM. When they asked for the IMEI they wouldn't change it due to the i5S being a Verizon device. Trying again maybe better luck with a different CSR..

May I ask why you are trying up change the imei? What's the point?

Jay A whY

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2009
My iPhone 5 has AT&T LTE and always go to 4g when on a call. I thought that was normal.

Keep reading, towards the end of the thread.. (It's not related to the LTE to 4G toggle while on or after a voice call)

IMEI miss-match could lead to authentication issues on AT&T's network (so far, only a few AT&T branded i5S are experiencing this issue).. I personally haven't had any issues with my Verizon i5S, but just in case, just wanted gather some input from other hybrid i5S users..

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
Once apple or anyone decides to sell me a full price Verizon 5s ill keep this thread updated

rocksyoursock

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2011
I have a Verizon iPhone 5s. I put in an AT&T GoPhone sim card into it and LTE works great. I only got 4G for the first few minutes or so but since then its been pretty solid LTE.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

Call CS again and if you get the runaround, ask to speak to a manager. You own an LTE phone and you want to be provisioned for LTE service. It shouldn't matter whether you bought the phone from AT&T or anyone else.

Jay A whY

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2009
Called in yesterday.. Spoke with an AT&T TSR that was willing to work with me to discover a few things about our hybrid i5S..

When they attempted to change the IMEI on file to correspond with my Verizon i5S, the system wanted to remove my data plan with no alternate data plan to select. The AT&T system did not recognize the IMEI as valid device to change too.

I was able to active my new SIM card without making any changes to the IMEI on the account, thankfully with no hassle.

When I asked the rep to read me back my listed IMEI, the system stated that it is an i5S, but who's, not mines.

My question to those that are in the know. Does the Verizon i5S send the AT&T network a different IMEI other than what is listed on the phone, perhaps the GSM version of the Verizon IMEI?...

When I swap my AT&T SIM into a prepaid ZTE flip phone, AT&T system has the same IMEI as the reported i5S, but states it's an i5. (My old i5 does not correspond with the IMEI on file)

(The phone pictured on my account is correct, the i5s)..

Going to pick up an AT&T N3 to see it the system will update its IMEI and then swap back to the i5S to see if that mysterious IMEI replicates back to the system.

ymeretur.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.