Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NowhereOutThere

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
Hey guys, so I've noticed that there is a peculiar gap at the top of my phone (and not on the bottom). It is fairly small, but visible (at least to me) when you notice it and then you can't unsee it... Dirt and pocket lint has accumulated in the space and I have to use a piece of paper to clear it out every day. Has anyone else experienced this? I want to go to the Apple Store to see if they would swap it out for me, but with supply of the 5s being what it is, I would be worried they would turn me away.

deraj090

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2010
Bring it in, get it swapped. At the very least, if they don't have the inventory on-hand now, they'll have a record of you bringing it in. You don't want it to get worse and have no recourse.

You'll likely have more luck at the Genius bar, though...

NowhereOutThere

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
Bring it in, get it swapped. At the very least, if they don't have the inventory on-hand now, they'll have a record of you bringing it in. You don't want it to get worse and have no recourse.

You'll likely have more luck at the Genius bar, though...

Yeah, I made an appointment at the Genius Bar tomorrow. Hopefully they can swap it or at least notify me when they have one in for swapping (like a refurbished model, I really wouldn't care at this point).

karmamule

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2008
Waltham, MA
If I peer really closely (as in take off my glasses and put my eyes a couple inches away closely) it does look like the gap at the top on my phone is a bit more than the bottom, but I'm not seeing any noticeable dust etc. accumulating so it probably isn't as large as yours.

I'm wondering if a bit of variance is needed to just accommodate the various materials expanding and contracting (possibly at slightly different rates) when going from cold to hot temperatures and vice versa?

If you go to a store and it looks like the 5s on display don't have the same size gap then definitely try to exchange it. They shouldn't refuse because you'll be able to point out the difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.