Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 1, 2013, 04:42 PM   #1
karnashuk
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Warsaw
Send a message via Skype™ to karnashuk
upgrading to NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M with 4GB of GDDR5

Guys. I've got a late 2012 27'' iMac with GeForce GTX 680 MX. Do you think it is possible to upgrade to NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M with 4GB of GDDR5 (available in the newest late 2013 iMacs)?

Does Apple handle such upgrades?

BTW- I just hate when they do a 'refresh' a year later...

THANKS VERY MUCH for all the replies.
__________________
late 2012 27'' iMac, GeForce GTX 680MX, 8 GB of RAM, Intel i7, OCZ Vector SSD| iPhone 5s
karnashuk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2013, 04:44 PM   #2
Idarzoid
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Nope, you'll have to sell your 2012 model and buy the 2013 model.

But why? GTX 680MX and GTX 780M are virtually the same (just slightly higher clock/memory speed and 100w vs 120w TDP), you won't really see the difference unless you're benchmarking.
__________________
MacBook Pro /w retina
i7-4750HQ | Iris Pro | 8GB RAM | 256GB SSD
Idarzoid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2013, 04:46 PM   #3
Confusius
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by karnashuk View Post
Guys. I've got a late 2012 27'' iMac with GeForce GTX 680 MX. Do you think it is possible to upgrade to NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M with 4GB of GDDR5 (available in the newest late 2013 iMacs)?

Does Apple handle such upgrades?

BTW- I just hate when they do a 'refresh' a year later...

THANKS VERY MUCH for all the replies.
Not an expert here, but even if such an upgrade was possible, which I think it isn't, I doubt it would be worth your time, money and effort - you still have one of the best mobile graphics chips around.
Confusius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2013, 05:55 PM   #4
old-wiz
macrumors 604
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: West Suburban Boston Ma
Apple does not do post-sale upgrades, ever, no matter how much money you offer.
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2013, 06:03 PM   #5
jabalczar
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by old-wiz View Post
Apple does not do post-sale upgrades, ever, no matter how much money you offer.
Except on RAM that is not user-upgradeable, such as on the 2012 / 2013 21.5-inch iMac:

"Memory replacement on the iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012) and iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013) is not user-removable and must be done by an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider."
jabalczar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2013, 06:06 PM   #6
AaronM5670
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: London, England
Yes, RAM is only user-upgradable in the 27", we should all know that by now.
__________________
Late 2013 iMac 27" 3.5GHz i7/32GB/1TB Fusion/GTX 775M 2GB, iPod Nano 8GB 3rd Gen, iPhone 5 16GB, iPad 2 32GB 3G, Apple TV 3, '98 PowerMac G3 233MHz Beige. Nexus 5 & PS1, 2, 3 & 4
AaronM5670 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2013, 07:52 PM   #7
sza
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by karnashuk View Post
Guys. I've got a late 2012 27'' iMac with GeForce GTX 680 MX. Do you think it is possible to upgrade to NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M with 4GB of GDDR5 (available in the newest late 2013 iMacs)?

Does Apple handle such upgrades?

BTW- I just hate when they do a 'refresh' a year later...

THANKS VERY MUCH for all the replies.
If you check the benchmark, you will see GTX 680 MX is actually slightly better the GTX 780M.
sza is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2013, 10:14 PM   #8
tomwvr
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Frederick Maryland
GeForce GTX 780M GeForce GTX 680MX GeForce GTX 770M
Cuda Cores 1536 1536 960
Base Clock 771 MHz 720 MHz 706 MHz
Boost Clock 797 MHz - 797 MHz
Memory Clock 1250 MHz 1250 MHz 1002 MHz
Effective Mem Clock
5000 MHz 5000 MHz 4008 MHz
Memory up to 4GB GDDR5 up to 2GB GDDR5 up to 3GB GDDR5
Interface 256-bit 256-bit 192-bit
Bandwidth 160 GB/s 160.0 GB/s 96.2 GB/s


The only difference is the Boost Clock and not really sure that it does much in 99% of use. And in benchmarks the 680 actually seems to do better.

Tom
tomwvr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2013, 10:19 PM   #9
elithrar
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2007
Anandtech benchmarks put the 780M at around 5 - 12% better, at best, than the 680MX. Note that the 680MX is about 15% better than the 680M.[1] So not a huge upgrade between the top-end 2012 and 2013 models.[1]

Regardless, the 2012/2013 iMac doesn't accept the MXM form factor, so you can't upgrade anyway

[1] http://www.anandtech.com/show/7076/m...the-gtx-780m/3
elithrar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2013, 04:57 AM   #10
leman
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
What's with all the "680MX is faster than 780M"? There is just no way it can be faster (at stock settings). I will do some benchmarks later today when my imac arrives.

@elithrar: the benchmarks were using a laptop with a totally misdesigned cooling solution. The card will be faster then that. See notebookcheck
leman is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2013, 02:32 PM   #11
MacsRgr8
macrumors 604
 
MacsRgr8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: The Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idarzoid View Post
Nope, you'll have to sell your 2012 model and buy the 2013 model.

But why? GTX 680MX and GTX 780M are virtually the same (just slightly higher clock/memory speed and 100w vs 120w TDP), you won't really see the difference unless you're benchmarking.
Or if you play X-Plane 10 which eats > 2 GB of VRAM.
__________________
Steve Jobs. 1955 - 2011. My Hero.
MacsRgr8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2013, 04:41 PM   #12
RedReplicant
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by old-wiz View Post
Apple does not do post-sale upgrades, ever, no matter how much money you offer.
No... but usually you can get around that by buying used upgrades ie. 2009 27" 4850 to 6970 or whatever.
__________________
2010 13" MBP - 8GB Ram, 115GB Corsair Force, 500GB Optibay - Covered with 'beauty marks.'
2009 27" iMac - 20GB Ram, 120GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1TB HDD
RedReplicant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2013, 06:44 PM   #13
kaellar
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sza View Post
If you check the benchmark, you will see GTX 680 MX is actually slightly better the GTX 780M.
Looks like you don't even understand the nature of the 680m>780m difference in those benchmarks, do you?

The gaming performance isn't GPU-dependant only. It's also the CPU that contributes. Leaving aside the CPU performance itself, under the certain circumstances (bad cooling, mostly) CPUs can throttle and thus drop the performance of the whole system while gaming. That's the only reason of 680m being more performant than 780m in that particular review.

The GPU that has more cores and performs at higher clocks simply can't do worse than the lower-spec'd one if both are working in equal (and, what's important, proper) conditions.

Last edited by kaellar; Oct 2, 2013 at 06:54 PM.
kaellar is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2013, 09:26 PM   #14
sza
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaellar View Post
looks like you don't even understand the nature of the 680m>780m difference in those benchmarks, do you?

The gaming performance isn't gpu-dependant only. It's also the cpu that contributes. Leaving aside the cpu performance itself, under the certain circumstances (bad cooling, mostly) cpus can throttle and thus drop the performance of the whole system while gaming. That's the only reason of 680m being more performant than 780m in that particular review.

The gpu that has more cores and performs at higher clocks simply can't do worse than the lower-spec'd one if both are working in equal (and, what's important, proper) conditions.
bs.
sza is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2013, 12:39 AM   #15
2Turbo
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
So which is it, 780m faster than 680MX?
2Turbo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2013, 12:54 AM   #16
elithrar
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Turbo View Post
So which is it, 780m faster than 680MX?
The 780M is faster, yes. There is no doubt about this. It is not (by my mark) much faster - 10% in most cases. But it also does this at a much lower TDP (100W vs 120W), which means it should run cooler and potentially give a very good overclock.
elithrar is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2013, 01:16 AM   #17
2Turbo
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by elithrar View Post
The 780M is faster, yes. There is no doubt about this. It is not (by my mark) much faster - 10% in most cases. But it also does this at a much lower TDP (100W vs 120W), which means it should run cooler and potentially give a very good overclock.
Cool. Can't wait for some OC results.
2Turbo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2013, 04:09 AM   #18
kaellar
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sza View Post
bs.
Thanks for proving my standpoint in such an elegant, argued and polite manner.
__________________
21.5 iMac 2012 Custom: i7, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD | iPhone 5 16gb
kaellar is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2013, 11:29 AM   #19
MacsRgr8
macrumors 604
 
MacsRgr8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: The Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Turbo View Post
So which is it, 780m faster than 680MX?
Simply stated:

Expect the 780M to be close to 10% faster than the 680M
(if the game doesn't need more than 2 GB VRAM - like X-Plane 10 - then the 780M with 4 GB VRAM will be hugely faster)
__________________
Steve Jobs. 1955 - 2011. My Hero.
MacsRgr8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2013, 01:44 PM   #20
MrGimper
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Basingstoke, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaellar View Post
Looks like you don't even understand the nature of the 680m>780m difference in those benchmarks, do you?

The gaming performance isn't GPU-dependant only. It's also the CPU that contributes. Leaving aside the CPU performance itself, under the certain circumstances (bad cooling, mostly) CPUs can throttle and thus drop the performance of the whole system while gaming. That's the only reason of 680m being more performant than 780m in that particular review.

The GPU that has more cores and performs at higher clocks simply can't do worse than the lower-spec'd one if both are working in equal (and, what's important, proper) conditions.
That's a sweeping statement. Architectural changes can make a huge difference even with less cores and clock speed.
MrGimper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2013, 01:49 PM   #21
GSPice
macrumors 68000
 
GSPice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
So many faces
so few palms
__________________
15" Haswell rMBP 2.3/16/512/750m | 24" iMac 3.06/500/4/8800 | Mac OS X 10.9.2
AEBS MC340LL/A | APC RS 800VA/XS 1000 | iPhone 5 16GB 7.1 | iPad 16GB LTE 7.1 | Apple TV 2
GSPice is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2013, 01:56 PM   #22
kaellar
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGimper View Post
That's a sweeping statement. Architectural changes can make a huge difference even with less cores and clock speed.
The statement was made about the two particular GPUs that share identical architecture. I thought it's pretty clear.
__________________
21.5 iMac 2012 Custom: i7, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD | iPhone 5 16gb
kaellar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2013, 02:26 PM   #23
WilliamG
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsRgr8 View Post
Simply stated:

Expect the 780M to be close to 10% faster than the 680M
(if the game doesn't need more than 2 GB VRAM - like X-Plane 10 - then the 780M with 4 GB VRAM will be hugely faster)
I'd be willing to bet you quite a few pennies (at least three) that X-Plane 10 will not run significantly better on the 4GB 780M than the 2GB 680MX.
__________________
iMac, MacBook Air, Mac mini, iPad, iPhone, 55-11
www.bighugenerd.com
WilliamG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2013, 02:34 PM   #24
MacsRgr8
macrumors 604
 
MacsRgr8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: The Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
I'd be willing to bet you quite a few pennies (at least three) that X-Plane 10 will not run significantly better on the 4GB 780M than the 2GB 680MX.
If you have many detailed extra sceneries loaded, the VRAM consumed by X-Plane 10 exceeds 2 GB easily.
I have that now on my Radeon HD 7950.

Pay-ware EHAM with ZL17 NL Photoscenery pushed my VRAM consumption to around 2.5 GB. Same goes with KJFK, KLGA and converted Manhattan scenery and others. It really is no exception in X-Plane 10, if you use custom scenery (which gives the flight-sim great eye-candy)

Using these settings on a grfx card with 2 GB VRAM or less results in disastrous performance. On a grfx card with 3 GB or more, it'll be fine.

I will happily take your pennies!
__________________
Steve Jobs. 1955 - 2011. My Hero.
MacsRgr8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2013, 02:42 PM   #25
WilliamG
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsRgr8 View Post
If you have many detailed extra sceneries loaded, the VRAM consumed by X-Plane 10 exceeds 2 GB easily.
I have that now on my Radeon HD 7950.

Pay-ware EHAM with ZL17 NL Photoscenery pushed my VRAM consumption to around 2.5 GB. Same goes with KJFK, KLGA and converted Manhattan scenery and others. It really is no exception in X-Plane 10, if you use custom scenery (which gives the flight-sim great eye-candy)

Using these settings on a grfx card with 2 GB VRAM or less results in disastrous performance. On a grfx card with 3 GB or more, it'll be fine.

I will happily take your pennies!
I would love to see proof of this on the 4GB GPU 2013 iMac vs last year's 2GB GPU iMac. I await benchmarks!
__________________
iMac, MacBook Air, Mac mini, iPad, iPhone, 55-11
www.bighugenerd.com
WilliamG is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Tags
gtx 680, gtx 780m, upgrade

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:01 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC