Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kenapple30

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2013
Please help
What is this---the little arrow curser with mini page behind it. Moves with mouse but computer totally frozen
Im 71 and all this on an iphone. Fingers too big for phone keyboard please help me get my imac back

Last edited:

bluescale

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2013
Please help
What is this---the little arrow curser with mini page behind it. Moves with mouse but computer totally frozen
Im 71 and all this on an iphone. Fingers too big for phone keyboard please help me get my imac back

Did you try restarting the computer to see if that works? If you hold the power button down for ~10 seconds, it'll force the computer to shut down. After that, turn it back on, and you'll probably be golden.

Good luck!

Kenapple30

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2013
Off and on many times. Once in a while things look good but even after starting to use an app the weird arrow with minipage reappear and everything is locked up

fhopper

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2007
Ks.
Man, I forgot what that is but it has happened to me... esc? Is it an accessibility cursor that you have turned on by hitting something?

Kenapple30

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2013
I doubt the accessibility curser because the entire computer is seized up. Wouldnt be able to undo anything anyway. How about video card problem. Would it do anything like this,??

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
We don't know what machine you have or what OS X version. I realize it's hard to type on an iPhone (I have the same problem), but the info might help.

If it's a newer machine, I'd try to take it to an Apple store if there's one nearby.

If it's an older machine, well... get your OS X Install Disk, put it in the optical drive, and boot from it while holding down the "D" key. That should start up the Apple Hardware Test which could well tell you something.

How does one run the Apple Hardware Test on a newer (no OS disc) machine?

Your problem sounds very similar to one I and a number of others have encountered, but my problem is specific to certain 2007 and 2008 iMacs with ATI video cards. Does yours happen to fall in that category?

It could well be the graphics card, but I'm guessing that it could instead be the logic board or a memory problem. I wouldn't just replace the graphics card without more evidence that it's the problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.