Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Oct 1, 2013, 09:04 PM   #1
gusnyc
macrumors regular

New 5S getting very hot

Hi!

I got a silver Verizon 5S this afternoon. I set it up like a new device and I installed the apps from iTunes.

I am noticing that the phone gets very hot. Almost uncomfortable to use. I am not playing complicated games or anything crazy, just sending texts and downloading some music from iTunes match.

I didn't read anything about the new iPhone getting so hot. Is this normal? Anybody else is having the same experience?

Thanks for your comments.

Gus
gusnyc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2013, 09:06 PM   #2
Spacial
macrumors 6502

It's probably defective. There's several at work & none are running warm.
Spacial is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2013, 09:07 PM   #3
user-name-here
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusnyc View Post
Is this normal? Anybody else is having the same experience?
Not at all, to both question.

Schedule a genius appointment to have them look at it.
user-name-here is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2013, 09:10 PM   #4
defboob
macrumors member

My wife and I's phones got warm to touch during the iCloud backup restore when we just got the phones setup. After it was complete, it's never been like that again. I read of others experiencing this too during the initial iCloud backup restore. It'll probably be just fine.
defboob is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2013, 09:18 PM   #5
gusnyc
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by defboob View Post
My wife and I's phones got warm to touch during the iCloud backup restore when we just got the phones setup. After it was complete, it's never been like that again. I read of others experiencing this too during the initial iCloud backup restore. It'll probably be just fine.
Thanks for your answers.

I think the phone is doing the backup to iCloud right now. I will wait until tomorrow to see what happens.

I am very surprised. I have the iPhone 5 as well and it never got hot like this one.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 09:21 PM   #6
T5BRICK
macrumors 601

Every iPhone I've ever owned would get hot during large data transfers.
T5BRICK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2013, 10:02 PM   #7
AntnyMikal
macrumors regular

I'd take it to the Genius Bar or apple store. When the 4s came out mine would get stupid hot doing simple things and be warm idle for no reason.
Apple genius played with it for like 1-2 minutes and then said "this isn't normal" had a new phone in 5 minutes.
AntnyMikal is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2013, 10:08 PM   #8
fieldsphotos
macrumors member

Mine did that too during the initial restore from iCloud backup. Hot enough that it was uncomfortable to touch. The only other time it did that was when I had to delete and reinstall a bunch of stuck apps that didn't get transferred correctly during the iCloud backup.

Otherwise it has been at normal temperatures. I am currently just assuming that is what it does when I am doing big downloads, etc. If it continues I will take it to the Genius bar.
fieldsphotos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2013, 10:14 PM   #9
SAIRUS
macrumors 6502

It's an added feature, because winter is coming.
SAIRUS is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2013, 10:18 PM   #10
dumastudetto
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntnyMikal View Post
Apple genius played with it for like 1-2 minutes and then said "this isn't normal" had a new phone in 5 minutes.
This is why we love Apple. You just don't get this experience anywhere else.
dumastudetto is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2013, 10:24 PM   #11
AntnyMikal
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumastudetto View Post
This is why we love Apple. You just don't get this experience anywhere else.
Yeah, I wish more companies were like this. I didn't have to pay a restocking fee or anything like that either. Just signed a e-receipt and was handed new phone.
AntnyMikal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2013, 10:29 PM   #12
hrrslmpk
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAIRUS View Post
It's an added feature, because winter is coming.
I lol'd when I read this lol mines got VERY hot too whenever it was just charging. So I took it back and swapped it out for another one...now this one gets warm when I'm just using it normally I've also noticed the camera, kind of a gut feeling, is slightly lesser on the clarity side than the first one...weird...
hrrslmpk is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2013, 10:51 PM   #13
gusnyc
macrumors regular

Update about temperature

The phone was getting hot even after transferring the music from iTunes match and the backup. So I forced a hard reset. It has been normal since then. The difference is tremendous. It was really uncomfortable to touch. Now I've been playing games like Asphalt 8, plus playing music and it barely got a little warmer, barely noticeable.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 01:41 AM   #14
appleonlife
Banned

No secret. Same thing with the 5.
appleonlife is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2013, 02:24 AM   #15
jonasdamn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleonlife View Post
No secret. Same thing with the 5.
My iPhone 5 is cold as ice, using a lot. However i dont play games
jonasdamn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2013, 03:25 AM   #16
roken
macrumors regular

Started another topic with the same issue here a few days ago:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=18053198

Seems to be an issue with some of them, worth showing the Genius Bar.
roken is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2013, 07:42 AM   #17
doctorandrew
macrumors member

My iPhone 5s gets super hot as well! I notice it after using navigation, which reproducible using different nav apps like waze, stock maps app, or google maps.
doctorandrew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2013, 08:05 AM   #18
Donoban
macrumors 6502

Quote:
The phone was getting hot even after transferring the music from iTunes match and the backup. So I forced a hard reset. It has been normal since then. The difference is tremendous. It was really uncomfortable to touch. Now I've been playing games like Asphalt 8, plus playing music and it barely got a little warmer, barely noticeable.
My 4s gets hot when playing complex games as well. To the point it gets uncomfortable to hold. But it's only when playing graphic intense games. Everything else it's either cool or slightly warm.
Donoban is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2013, 11:20 AM   #19
Iphone5preorder
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorandrew View Post
My iPhone 5s gets super hot as well! I notice it after using navigation, which reproducible using different nav apps like waze, stock maps app, or google maps.
Haven't tried that yet with my 5s but my 5 gets so hot using google maps that I have to set the phone on the passenger side. I can't even touch it it's so hot.

I've thought about making a video of me cooking an egg on my iphone while driving... I'm sure it would get tons of hits. Imagine that? iEggs. iPan. iCook. I see a lot of potential. Breakfast on the way to work.
Iphone5preorder is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2013, 08:30 AM   #20
gusnyc
macrumors regular

Exchanged

Well, my iPhone started to get hot again a lot again. The hard reset was only a temporary fix. So I took it back to the Apple store. The staff was terrific. They exchanged for a new one in minutes. The new phone seems to be much much better. It seems there was something wrong with the first one. It was uncomfortable to keep in the pocket.

Last edited by gusnyc; Oct 8, 2013 at 07:51 AM.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 01:25 PM   #21
roken
macrumors regular

Quote:
Well, my iPhone started to get hot again a pond again. The hard reset was only a templet fix. So I took it back to the Apple store. The staff was terrific. They exchanged for a new one in minutes. The new phone seems to be much much better. It seems there was something wrong with the first one. It was uncomfortable to keep in the pocket.
Had mine changed for a new one too, unfortunately this one has the same problem, getting warm in stupid things like iMessage and Photos app...

Wish I had another 5s around to compare this with, the iPhone 5 is ice cold compared.
roken is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2013, 02:48 PM   #22
KPOM
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roken View Post
Had mine changed for a new one too, unfortunately this one has the same problem, getting warm in stupid things like iMessage and Photos app...

Wish I had another 5s around to compare this with, the iPhone 5 is ice cold compared.
It might be something you are running. Try killing some of the apps and see if that helps.
KPOM is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2013, 06:36 PM   #23
roken
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPOM View Post
It might be something you are running. Try killing some of the apps and see if that helps.
Been there done that, had genius' turn off most/all location and other settings to help. Also set up as a fresh phone as opposed to a restore, no joy. :/

Not sure what the problem has been... Hopefully better luck tomorrow. Will post back results.
roken is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone