Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Foxdog175

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
Ever since I installed ios 7 on my i5, I had an "8" badge on my Messages app, but I haven't been able to find the messages that were unread. Today, my i5s arrived and I'm still having the same problem.

Any idea how I can reset the badge notification for Messages without having to delete conversations?:confused:

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
I have this issue from time to time with ios7. When I get a new email, the icon badge shows correctly. When I go into mail and read the new email the badge doesn't get updated. If I close the email app and reopen it, it updates and fixes itself

This is an ios7 bug. There are going to be several of these little issues as Apple works to smooth out the OS. Expect many updates to ios7 in the coming months.

Ed91

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2007
I had this the other day - a few messages failed to remove the badge after I read them, so I had an idea of what was causing the problem, and which messages were problematic. I think what I did to resolve the issue was going into iCloud mail and marking the messages as unread, then going into each message on my phone (so marking them as read again).

Worth a try, anyway.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
I too have experienced this in Mail. Deleted and re-added email account. A message comes in and displays the badge, then I go in, wait for the message to load fully (just in case), and then exit out, yet the badge still shows. The only way to handle this is to go back into the message then out of it again, but surely this has to be a glitch as no previous iOS had the issue. Drives me batty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.