Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kumquat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
This past Saturday I destroyed my 4s in the wash. I immediately called Sprint and ordered a 5s (white/silver 64GB). I later learned through a poster on this forum that I was eligible for an Out of Warranty Replacement.

I was not planning on upgrading this year. My immediate reasons for that have been that I strongly dislike the look of iOS7 (I declined to update my 4s and iPad 2 and any apps which have mentioned being customized for or redesigned to look like iOS 7), I have 9 30 pin cables placed in strategic spaces throughout my house for charging, regularly use the 30 pin to HDMI connector for video watching and the 8 pin HDMI adapter only works at a lower resolution with much artifacting, I have two very expensive AirPlay stereos with 30 pin docks and the official Apple 30 pin to 8 pin adapters are well known for not reliably allowing full functionality. And most importantly my car, which has no bluetooth or usb inputs, has a built in socket near the emergency brake for a proprietary cable which ends in a 30 pin plug and allows me to charge my iphone while playing music and maps through the stereo and has full device control through the steering wheel; if these 8 pin to 30 pin adapters can't even reliably allow music play and charging, I highly doubt I'll be able to retain steering wheel control of the device. And my car is great so I won't be buying a new one.

As a longer term concern, the EU standardization committee just made the existing voluntary agreement which Apple has been refusing to abide by that manufacturers of mobile devices use micro-USB connectors on their devices into an actual law which, unless it is repealed, seems to indicate the next iteration of iDevices will be required to have micro-USB connectors if they are sold in Europe, at any rate. And I can't imagine that it would be economically prudent to manufacture entirely different phones for the rest of the planet. Assuming this law is enforced and Apple responds by making all their iDevices have micro-USB connectors, it would make spending any money on this brief, proprietary 8 pin connector a huge waste, especially given the pricing on the cables and adapters.

So, anyway, on Monday, I went to Apple and paid my $212 and got a new 4s through the OoW Service. Yesterday, my 5s from Sprint arrived. I have not opened it. In the frenzy after my original 4s was destroyed I ordered two 30 pin to 8 pin dock adapters, several 8 pin cables and changed a pending order I have with an Etsy seller from a 4s to a 5s handmade leather case. None of those items have arrived yet but the adapters are supposed to be delivered today. I rather recently moved to the area where I am currently living because of illness and don't know many people here and am not able to get out often so I don't even know anyone here who has a smartphone much less a 5/c/s which I could borrow for 5 minutes to see if the dock adapter indeed does work with my particular car set up. If I open the package and then decide to return it, I have to pay a restocking fee in addition to the fee for new device activation.

What do you suggest I do? And why hasn't anybody created a case for the 5/c/s which converts the 8 pin socket into a fully functional 30 pin socket?

Last edited:

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
Sounds like you prefer the 4S and iOS 6. Return the 5S and save your upgrade for the next iPhone release. By then a lot of the bugs should be gone and we'll have a new design.

kumquat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
Sounds like you prefer the 4S and iOS 6. Return the 5S and save your upgrade for the next iPhone release. By then a lot of the bugs should be gone and we'll have a new design.

It's just so hard to not even open the box with the brand new gadget in it and at least test it out to see if the adapter would work with my car. I think returning it is probably the better idea, but I was excited by AirDrop which my 4s wouldn't be able to use even if I did update it.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
It's just so hard to not even open the box with the brand new gadget in it and at least test it out to see if the adapter would work with my car. I think returning it is probably the better idea, but I was excited by AirDrop which my 4s wouldn't be able to use even if I did update it.

I hear what your saying but then what are you going to do with the 4S. I have no idea if you can return it for a refund.

As for AirDrop, yeah it's a nice feature if you have other people with a 5 or 5s around you. I still haven't had a chance to test it out.

On the other hand is the restocking fee worth a two week trial for you?

I still maintain...bring it back.

kumquat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
I hear what your saying but then what are you going to do with the 4S. I have no idea if you can return it for a refund.

As for AirDrop, yeah it's a nice feature if you have other people with a 5 or 5s around you. I still haven't had a chance to test it out.

On the other hand is the restocking fee worth a two week trial for you?

I still maintain...bring it back.

Well, I'd always planned to keep the 4s (whenever I eventually did upgrade to a new phone) to use as an iPod and WiFi remote and for watching movies either through Home Sharing or with the HDMI adapter. I would have plenty of uses for it.

The 5s, seemingly, gives me fewer uses because I would not be able to use it for movie watching using my HDMI adapter, can't use it for the vTuner functionality of one of my AirPlay stereos which requires docking and, in all likelihood, based upon everything I've read, can't use it for music or directions in my car.

The reduction in functionality seems pretty ridiculous to me. Eventually, I will need to upgrade and that will require purchasing a standalone GPS which the 4s does now seamlessly while playing music and either hanging onto the 4s for as long as I have the car to retain the steering wheel functionality or purchasing a new stereo to work with a new connector which will kill the steering wheel functionality reducing overall functionality. This just doesn't look like progress to me. My hope is that there will be a case or other attachment for 8 pin devices (and given that EU law, micro-USB devices) which somehow converts the port to 30 pin and allows full functionality. But, if wishes were horses and all that.

It is hard to rationalize the restocking and activation fees for probably a day of messing around with it before finding it won't work with my car and kicking myself for giving in to the temptation to open it. I contacted Apple, Scion and Pioneer to try to get a definitive answer; Pioneer hasn't responded, Apple refused to acknowledge the hundreds of reviews saying the adapter doesn't work and insisted it would and Scion was completely useless transferring me around and around eventually to a guy who didn't even know what a 30 pin cable is.

mylop

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2013
How does putting your phone in the washing machine make you eligible for an out of warranty replacement? Is the replacement free?

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
Having just gone from a 4S to 5S I'd say take the new one. This phone is so much better than 4S it's not even close. It does take a bit of getting used to with iOS7 but this phone is the real deal. It's speed alone is worth it!! JMO!!

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
At the alternatives section.
have you actually physically seen a device running iOS 7?

the reason i am asking is because whilst the screenshots of that iOS version are hideous, the other day i saw it on a device for the first time (an iphone 5 - from a friend), and it definitely caught my attention. whilst i personally wouldn't touch it with a stick i must admit it was a much more favourable impression than that i was getting by watching videos or screenshots of it.

had i not moved to android, however, i wouldn't stick with iOS 6. whether you think it looks better or not, it just lacks so many must-have features such as control center, or built-in camera filters, etc. iOS 6 is way too limited in what it offers - (so is iOS 7 in my opinion but at least it introduced the essentials people have been clamoring for the past two years).

so my advice? if the 4S works for you i'd keep that and update it to iOS 7 regardless. return or sell the iphone 5S. wait for the iphone 6 with a new OS. your 4S will feel like a new phone with the new iOS version.

if you are gagging to open the 5S, and treat yourself to a new device now, you wouldn't be making a mistake either. its an excellent phone and i am sure you will enjoy using it for the next couple of years.

Ramio

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2011
Houston, TeXas
Keep the 5s and sell the 4s. Big difference in performance between the 2. Life is too short...keep the 5s and enjoy it.

SR71

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
I say to try out the 5S and see how you like it. You can always return it within 2 weeks for a refund. See how it fits into your daily life and decide whether or not it's worth it to keep. Also, like another user said, you should definitely give iOS 7 a try. It really is beautiful when you actually have it running on your device, and even if you think it's ugly, the positives (such as control center) greatly outweigh the negatives.

Kemonsterr

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2013
California!
This past Saturday I destroyed my 4s in the wash. I immediately called Sprint and ordered a 5s (white/silver 64GB). I later learned through a poster on this forum that I was eligible for an Out of Warranty Replacement.

I was not planning on upgrading this year. My immediate reasons for that have been that I strongly dislike the look of iOS7 (I declined to update my 4s and iPad 2 and any apps which have mentioned being customized for or redesigned to look like iOS 7), I have 9 30 pin cables placed in strategic spaces throughout my house for charging, regularly use the 30 pin to HDMI connector for video watching and the 8 pin HDMI adapter only works at a lower resolution with much artifacting, I have two very expensive AirPlay stereos with 30 pin docks and the official Apple 30 pin to 8 pin adapters are well known for not reliably allowing full functionality. And most importantly my car, which has no bluetooth or usb inputs, has a built in socket near the emergency brake for a proprietary cable which ends in a 30 pin plug and allows me to charge my iphone while playing music and maps through the stereo and has full device control through the steering wheel; if these 8 pin to 30 pin adapters can't even reliably allow music play and charging, I highly doubt I'll be able to retain steering wheel control of the device. And my car is great so I won't be buying a new one.

As a longer term concern, the EU standardization committee just made the existing voluntary agreement which Apple has been refusing to abide by that manufacturers of mobile devices use micro-USB connectors on their devices into an actual law which, unless it is repealed, seems to indicate the next iteration of iDevices will be required to have micro-USB connectors if they are sold in Europe, at any rate. And I can't imagine that it would be economically prudent to manufacture entirely different phones for the rest of the planet. Assuming this law is enforced and Apple responds by making all their iDevices have micro-USB connectors, it would make spending any money on this brief, proprietary 8 pin connector a huge waste, especially given the pricing on the cables and adapters.

So, anyway, on Monday, I went to Apple and paid my $212 and got a new 4s through the OoW Service. Yesterday, my 5s from Sprint arrived. I have not opened it. In the frenzy after my original 4s was destroyed I ordered two 30 pin to 8 pin dock adapters, several 8 pin cables and changed a pending order I have with an Etsy seller from a 4s to a 5s handmade leather case. None of those items have arrived yet but the adapters are supposed to be delivered today. I rather recently moved to the area where I am currently living because of illness and don't know many people here and am not able to get out often so I don't even know anyone here who has a smartphone much less a 5/c/s which I could borrow for 5 minutes to see if the dock adapter indeed does work with my particular car set up. If I open the package and then decide to return it, I have to pay a restocking fee in addition to the fee for new device activation.

What do you suggest I do? And why hasn't anybody created a case for the 5/c/s which converts the 8 pin socket into a fully functional 30 pin socket?
Just bite the bullet and upgrade.
You're gonna have to switch all the cables anyways why not now? Same with iOS 7. If you keep iOS 6 your phone won't work like it's supposed to and you'll end up having a sluggish phone barely usable. In the end it's your choice but from someone who sells phones and sees far too many slow and sluggish 4s....just change now

docal97

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
Southampton
I have used the Apple branded adapters in the past and the older 30 pin connecters work fine with the iphone 5. What specifically doesn't work for you?

The new iphone is significantly better than the 4s, and you are going to have to replace the cables eventually, or use adapters.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
As a longer term concern, the EU standardization committee just made the existing voluntary agreement which Apple has been refusing to abide by that manufacturers of mobile devices use micro-USB connectors on their devices into an actual law which, unless it is repealed, seems to indicate the next iteration of iDevices will be required to have micro-USB connectors if they are sold in Europe, at any rate.

Just a point of information: Technically, Apple has been abiding by the microUSB requirement by making available an adapter.

Also, the voluntary agreement has not yet been made a law. It hasn't even had a first reading yet. That's likely to happen sometime around late February, 2014.

In any case, it's doubtful that the lightning connector is going anywhere, anytime soon. Even assuming that the EU requires Apple to build micro USB into the phone itself, it would very likely be an additional connector to lightning, probably limited only to charging.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
The 5s, seemingly, gives me fewer uses because I would not be able to use it for movie watching using my HDMI adapter, can't use it for the vTuner functionality of one of my AirPlay stereos which requires docking and, in all likelihood, based upon everything I've read, can't use it for music or directions in my car.

The reduction in functionality seems pretty ridiculous to me. Eventually, I will need to upgrade and that will require purchasing a standalone GPS which the 4s

Just curious: how is purchasing a standalone GPS less expensive than just getting some new cables to replace your old dock connectors, thus restoring all of that functionality?

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth

You misunderstand the EU Directive, the microUSB to lightning adapter fulfils Apples obligation under the Directive. The device just needs to be compatible with the microUSB standard, which the adapter does.

The worst that could happen is the EU will force Apple to include an adapter in the box.

kumquat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
Just curious: how is purchasing a standalone GPS less expensive than just getting some new cables to replace your old dock connectors, thus restoring all of that functionality?

You misunderstand. The 30 pin iPod/iPhone cable which came with the car ends in a proprietary plug which inserts into a proprietary socket and neither Scion/Toyota nor Pioneer have made nor seem to have any intention of making an 8 pin version. There is no USB input. There is no bluetooth input. The only way to charge and play a 30 pin iOS device simultaneously is with this proprietary cable. One could spider web a charging cable into the cigarette lighter and add an additional AUX cable for which there is an input on the other side of the emergency break but that's messy and, again, reduces the original functionality.

----------

How does putting your phone in the washing machine make you eligible for an out of warranty replacement? Is the replacement free?

Ha, I don't know, honestly, they might want to rethink this policy because it seems kind of absurd to me, too. But, no, it wasn't free. It was $200 plus tax so $212 where I am. Which is still a lot less than buying a new 4s would have been.

----------

Having just gone from a 4S to 5S I'd say take the new one. This phone is so much better than 4S it's not even close. It does take a bit of getting used to with iOS7 but this phone is the real deal. It's speed alone is worth it!! JMO!!

Finally, yesterday, I opened it, set it up enough to get some music in iTunes and went down and with the adapter tried it out in my car and it does work for now. However, I have to strongly disagree that it's faster than the 4s running iOS 6; I've experienced consistent and considerable lag doing everything from checking to my email to connecting to Home Sharing and on. It's very slow and I find myself more often than not just grabbing my iPad 2 running iOS 6 to complete tasks like quickly checking my email. Before using iOS 7 on the 5s, I'd considered the iPad pretty slow compared to the 4s.

----------

have you actually physically seen a device running iOS 7?

the reason i am asking is because whilst the screenshots of that iOS version are hideous, the other day i saw it on a device for the first time (an iphone 5 - from a friend), and it definitely caught my attention. whilst i personally wouldn't touch it with a stick i must admit it was a much more favourable impression than that i was getting by watching videos or screenshots of it.
so my advice? if the 4S works for you i'd keep that and update it to iOS 7 regardless. return or sell the iphone 5S. wait for the iphone 6 with a new OS. your 4S will feel like a new phone with the new iOS version.

if you are gagging to open the 5S, and treat yourself to a new device now, you wouldn't be making a mistake either. its an excellent phone and i am sure you will enjoy using it for the next couple of years.

What's weird is that the things I'm finding most hideous, I didn't even notice in still shots. The dock and icon folder blur and the awful font/color of mail options are making the current top of my list in 'how on earth did they release it looking like this?!!!'

I am glad that I finally gave in to opening it because I would have had that itch in the back of my head unless I did and probably would have given in to updating my iPad and 4s and, now, I know for sure I don't want to do that unless all app functionality gets destroyed. I've kept the 4s and plan to still use it for pretty much everything except talking on the phone using my cell number. But it'll stay at home. The 5s is physically lovely (with the screen off) but I have a hard time imagining that I'll warm up to it the way I did immediately with my 4s.

----------

I have used the Apple branded adapters in the past and the older 30 pin connecters work fine with the iphone 5. What specifically doesn't work for you?

The new iphone is significantly better than the 4s, and you are going to have to replace the cables eventually, or use adapters.

It turns out the official Lightning to 30 pin does work with my car. But the Scion and Pioneer car stereo boards are filled with people who have lost complete and partial functionality of their integrated car stereos which have iPod/iPhone inputs because of the loss of iPod Out with 8 pin. Some lost it only because of the 8 pin change and others lost it with the recent updates to 7. I now have 2 adapters on the stereo cable, one from CableJive to restore charging functionality which the 4s no longer had but older iPods did and this second one now to convert the 30pins to 8 pin.

----------

You misunderstand the EU Directive, the microUSB to lightning adapter fulfils Apples obligation under the Directive. The device just needs to be compatible with the microUSB standard, which the adapter does.

The worst that could happen is the EU will force Apple to include an adapter in the box.

My understanding, from what I read, is that they are already providing that adapter in Europe and that it is not considered sufficient because the agreement which is now a law is specific in that the actual charging input of the phone must be micro-usb. I think this article was on Ars Technica, but I could be wrong.

GrimmsGirl

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2013
OP, I'm confused. Did you decide to keep the 5s, or are you returning it?

What's weird is that the things I'm finding most hideous, I didn't even notice in still shots. The dock and icon folder blur and the awful font/color of mail options are making the current top of my list in 'how on earth did they release it looking like this?!!!'

This is really interesting, because the things you find most hideous are two of the things I like the best about the new UI. The thing I hate most is the new share icon and the line vector icons to bookmark/add to home screen/etc... Yes, they're clean and uncluttered, but they're too clean and uncluttered when compared to the fb/twitter/etc. icons on the same view. That to me is hideous and unfinished looking.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012

Keep the 5s and sell the 4s on eBay.

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
My understanding, from what I read, is that they are already providing that adapter in Europe and that it is not considered sufficient because the agreement which is now a law is specific in that the actual charging input of the phone must be micro-usb. I think this article was on Ars Technica, but I could be wrong.

The story about the lightning adapter:

EC forces Apple to conform - Lightning-to-microUSB adapter
by Alistair Lowe on 13 September 2012, 10:45
Tags: Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL)
Quick Link: HEXUS.net/qabmdb

Unhappy with the lack of standardisation that plagued our fair continent for many years prior, the European Commision has been insisting, as of late, that all mobile devices feature a microUSB connector, in an attempt to establish a clear interface/charging format for mobiles.

Not known for its open ecosystem, it wasn't a surprise when Apple revealed that the new 'Lightning' interface on its iPhone 5 wouldn't be a standard connector. This of course meant the the firm would have to go some way to appeasing the EC and it has now become apparent that this is to be in the form of Lightning-to-microUSB convertor module.

The little dongle can be purchased on Apple's online UK store for £15 and, though it doesn't exactly fulfil the full intent of the EC directive - there's an extra fee and you're still stuffed if you lose the dongle - it will allow for the use of standard microUSB chargers and sync cables.

On the hardware front, life is perhaps made a little easier for peripheral hackers, though it'll no-doubt still take a jailbroken device to use any third-party peripherals that didn't feel like paying Apple up to a 12 per cent sales commission.

And 30pin compatibility

Apple offer adapter to comply with EU

In 2009 the European Commission issued a mandate requesting the development of a European standard for the humble mobile phone charger. This standard would take the form of a micro-USB connector allowing chargers to be used interchangeably between devices. The aim was to reduce the number of chargers being discarded. In December 2010 they announced the agreement.

It was signed by Apple, Emblaze Mobile, Huawei Technologies, LGE, Motorola Mobility, NEC, Nokia, Qualcomm, Research In Motion (RIM), Samsung, Sony Ericsson, TCT Mobile (ALCATEL), Texas Instruments and Atmel.

RIM (Blackberry devices) had the simplest job as they have always used USB connector for charging, although the size did vary (miro, mini, a/b). Nokia also often used micro-USB. There has been much speculation on what Apple would do as their 'dock connector' is very different, and used in so many 3rd party devices.

Apple now offer a dock to micro-USB converter to comply with the regulations and this is available via the Apple store (UK only at the moment) for £8. It allows for charging of the iPhone 3G ,3Gs, 4 and 4S via a USB to computer connection or USB power adapter. This makes Apple fully compliant with the directive.

http://theonlycog.com/apple-micro-usb-charger-eu

kumquat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
d123, those are both interesting but old articles which pre-date the commission changing the voluntary request into an actual law a few months ago.

----------

OP, I'm confused. Did you decide to keep the 5s, or are you returning it?

This is really interesting, because the things you find most hideous are two of the things I like the best about the new UI. The thing I hate most is the new share icon and the line vector icons to bookmark/add to home screen/etc... Yes, they're clean and uncluttered, but they're too clean and uncluttered when compared to the fb/twitter/etc. icons on the same view. That to me is hideous and unfinished looking.

I kept them both. I still haven't warmed up to the 5s yet, though. I'm trying to force myself to use it more but...the new keyboard is causing me to make so many typos that it's just aggravating. I do appreciate the recent update that reduced the animations.

Yeah, talk about polarizing, right? It's funny how differently we can all respond to the same things. I can't say I like the new share etc icons but they don't bother me. Frankly, they're so thin I don't even really notice them most of the time. I just find those bright red and green strips so garish and ugly...and also the replacement of the trash icon with the word 'Trash'. Why? Why?

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
d123, those are both interesting but old articles which pre-date the commission changing the voluntary request into an actual law a few months ago.

That's interesting, can you provide a link to show the Regulations as they are now?

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007

Once again, it's not yet a law. It hasn't even had a reading in parliament yet. Earliest possible date for just the first reading: early 2014. It's going to be a long time before this becomes a law, if it does, and exclusion of adapters to comply with this "law" is far from assured.

Honestly,. this isn't even worth fixating on. Even making it a law won't make the lightning connector go away, nor will iPhone 5 and 5s models become obsolete.

Last edited:

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
Once again, it's not yet a law. It hasn't even had a reading in parliament yet. Earliest possible date for just the first reading: early 2014. It's going to be a long time before this becomes a law, if it does, and exclusion of adapters to comply with this "law" is far from assured.

Honestly,. this isn't even worth fixating on. Even making it a law won't make the lightning connector go away, nor will iPhone 5 and 5s models become obsolete.

That was exactly my understanding which is why I asked him to prove what he was saying. In fact the latest articles still seem to reflect the adapter as compliance of the possibly forthcoming law (if it is ever enacted).

A quick google shows reports (from the 30th of September 2013) like:
EU law may force Apple to drop Lightning connector for MicroUSB
Monday, September 30, 2013

“Apple may be forced to drop the Lightning connector for charging the iPad and iPhone in Europe,” Karen Haslam reports for Macworld UK. “A European Parliament’s consumer protection committee has voted to standardize smartphone connectors in a move to reduce waste.”
“As a result it is possible that Apple will have to abandon the Lightning connector at the base of the iPad and iPhone,” Haslam reports. “Brussels is attempting to make every mobile phone use the same charging standard. The micro USB standard seems the most likely winner based on the fact that in 2009 the European standards agency chose it to be the universal port for smartphones, and hence most of Apple’s smartphone competition now use micro USB connectors.”

Haslam reports, “However, Apple sells a Lightning to micro USB connector in the European Union for this reason. Apple’s Lightning to Micro USB Adaptor costs £15… The ruling still needs to be approved by the European Parliament, however, and a new law may well take years to be implemented, by which time there may be a new way to charge devices such as induction.”

MacDailyNews Take
: It’ll never happen and, even if it did, Apple could simply throw that Lightning to Micro USB Adaptor adapter into every box sold in Europe, thereby preserving their iOS devices’ Lightning connector advantages.

Read more at http://macdailynews.com/2013/09/30/...g-connector-for-microusb/#01tk1mlHhOuRLyMW.99

An EU Parliament Committee has voted to standardise power connectors so that everyone who buys a handset in the Union gets the same type of charger, expected to be a microUSB connector.
Yet Apple, and firms including Asus, use specially-designed connectors that only work with their own handsets and, if the proposals are passed, could be forced to stop selling them in certain countries in order to comply with the law.

The proposal passed with a unanimous vote and was filed in a bid to reduce the amount of waste created by old or unused phone chargers.
These changes would also benefit phone customers who could easily borrow or swap chargers, and could additionally be extended to include tablet connectors, too.

However, this hasn't been passed as a law yet, and may not ever become law; it was a vote carried by a single group of MEPs.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...-device-charges-ALL-phones.html#ixzz2ikecWawq
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I noticed that you said you are on Sprint. LTE alone would've made me upgrade to the 5S if I were on Sprint. That should be a massive improvement over the data speeds you get on your 4S.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
That was exactly my understanding which is why I asked him to prove what he was saying. In fact the latest articles still seem to reflect the adapter as compliance of the possibly forthcoming law (if it is ever enacted).

Yeah, I'm not sure why the OP is pushing so hard for this. Even if it were a law today, it won't help his original problem: all his old 30-pin dock connectors are obsolete. If Apple were somehow compelled to comply with this "law," he'd still have to find a way to replace all of his connectors with micro USB, which apparently can't be done on certain older Scion/Toyota models with iPod integration.

Sounds like poor design choice on Toyota/Scion's part if you ask me. My Chevrolet Cruze simply has a USB port, and I can plug in a 30-pin, lightning, microUSB or whatever else my phone might have, without a problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.