Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Old Oct 2, 2013, 10:22 AM   #1
SilentPanda
Moderator emeritus

Tom Clancy, author, dies at 66

"Never ask what sort of computer a guy drives. If he's a Mac user, he'll tell you. If not, why embarrass him?" - Tom Clancy, as quoted in Escape The Pace: 100 Fun And Easy Ways To Slow Down And Enjoy Your Life (2002) by Lisa Rickwood; this quote appears at least as early as 1996 online.

Quote:
Author Tom Clancy, whose novel, "The Hunt for Red October" propelled him to fame, fortune and status as a favorite storyteller of the American military, has died, according to sources with his publisher and family. He was 66.

The cause of death wasn't immediately available.

A Baltimore-born former insurance agent, Clancy was known for writing meticulous thrillers focusing on political intrigue and military tactics and technology. He published 28 books -- including a new novel yet to be released.

Several were made into Hollywood blockbusters, including "The Hunt for Red October," "Patriot Games," and "The Sum of All Fears."
http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/02/us/tom-clancy-obit/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Clancy

Last edited by SilentPanda; Oct 2, 2013 at 10:49 AM.
SilentPanda is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2013, 10:46 AM   #2
vrDrew
macrumors 65816

Tom Clancy was one of those authors whose quality really tapered off towards the end.

I'll confess to being a fan of his earlier work: Hunt for Red October; Patriot Games; Cardinal of the Kremlin; etc. were all entertaining thrillers. But by the time Teeth of the Tiger and Red Rabbit came out, I found him literally unreadable. Clancy's right wing nuttery and laziness with his prose and plot points had taken its toll. (Note: Teeth of the Tiger features two spoiled young asses driving around Europe in Ferraris murdering people. And they were supposed to be the good guys.)
vrDrew is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2013, 11:12 AM   #3
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Very sad day. I loved his books and 66 is way too young to die.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 11:17 AM   #4
obeygiant
macrumors 68040

Rainbow Six *tear*
obeygiant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2013, 12:26 PM   #5
redshift1
macrumors regular

Quit writing several years ago all the recent books are supposedly his but are the product of others who write in collaboration with the Clancy franchise.
redshift1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2013, 06:10 PM   #6
juanm
macrumors 65816

Send a message via MSN to juanm Send a message via Skype™ to juanm
His books, from a literary point of view, were crap, but the first Rainbow Six videogame is still my all-time favorite.
juanm is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2013, 10:53 PM   #7
hallux
macrumors 65816

I enjoyed many of his novels, up to the point that they started being "Tom Clancy with..." then I stopped reading them. It took me 2 tries to get through Sum of All Fears, the first attempt ended about 10 pages before the 10 page explanation of the bomb exploding.

My favorite movie adapted from his novels was the first one, Hunt for Red October.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 06:01 AM   #8
MyMac1976
Banned

RIP

Your books are amongst the best!
MyMac1976 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2013, 07:20 AM   #9
Plutonius
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrDrew View Post
Tom Clancy was one of those authors whose quality really tapered off towards the end.
Tom Clancy didn't exclusively write most of his material later in his career. Instead Tom Clancy co-wrote the books but it was obvious that his co-writers did most of the writing. Many popular authors do this because people will buy a book that says Tom Clancy on the title where they wouldn't buy it if it didn't.
Plutonius is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2013, 07:33 AM   #10
SandboxGeneral

That's sad news. I really enjoyed his writing style and reading his books.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 09:36 AM   #11
Scepticalscribe
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrDrew View Post

I'll confess to being a fan of his earlier work: Hunt for Red October; Patriot Games; Cardinal of the Kremlin; etc. were all entertaining thrillers. But by the time Teeth of the Tiger and Red Rabbit came out, I found him literally unreadable. Clancy's right wing nuttery and laziness with his prose and plot points had taken its toll. ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshift1 View Post
Quit writing several years ago all the recent books are supposedly his but are the product of others who write in collaboration with the Clancy franchise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallux View Post
I enjoyed many of his novels, up to the point that they started being "Tom Clancy with..." then I stopped reading them. ...........
My favorite movie adapted from his novels was the first one, Hunt for Red October.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutonius View Post
Tom Clancy didn't exclusively write most of his material later in his career. Instead Tom Clancy co-wrote the books but it was obvious that his co-writers did most of the writing. Many popular authors do this because people will buy a book that says Tom Clancy on the title where they wouldn't buy it if it didn't.
Fascinating; there appears to be a very strong consensus that the quality of his writing deteriorated markedly, something which is explained by the gloomy truth that he seems to have more or less stopped writing, and had others doing the job for him.

While Plutonius says 'many popular authors do this', (names, names, please, so I know whose books to avoid!), I should think it must be relatively easy to spot as it is difficult enough to successfully copy somebody else's writing in a wholly convincing manner.

Having said that, 66 is still a very young age at which to die when one is a comfortably off individual from the First World.
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2013, 10:18 PM   #12
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scepticalscribe View Post
While Plutonius says 'many popular authors do this', (names, names, please, so I know whose books to avoid!), I should think it must be relatively easy to spot as it is difficult enough to successfully copy somebody else's writing in a wholly convincing manner.
The later Bourne books are written by someone else.

http://www.jason-bourne-books.com/books.php
Old Oct 4, 2013, 05:42 AM   #13
freeny
macrumors 68020

Interesting tidbit...
I went to summer Camp in Huntington MD back ion the 70's and 80's. The land where the camp once stood was purchased by Clancy and is where he lived until his death. The campers who once went there (Camp Kaufman) would return to the grounds to reminisce with the old site and of course this irritated Clancy. Clancy placed an old Sherman Tank aiming directly down the road one would come down to get to the land as a deterrent. You can see the tank in the Google map screen shot
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-10-04 at 6.36.37 AM.png
Views:	35
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	438354   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-10-04 at 6.36.15 AM.png
Views:	34
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	438355  

Last edited by freeny; Oct 4, 2013 at 05:53 AM.
freeny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2013, 12:14 PM   #14
Plutonius
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scepticalscribe View Post
You just have to look where the authors are listed on the cover. If it list two authors with the author you like in large print and the other in small print, it's most likely that the author in small print actually wrote the novel.

Clive Cussler is one of my favorite authors. Unfortunately, he is one of those authors who stopped solo writing and his later books are not up to par. I think one exception might be his Isaac Bell series about a detective during the start of the 20th century.
Plutonius is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events