Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

mountain_lion_icon-250x255.jpg
Apple has seeded bug fix releases of iTunes 11.1.1 and an OS X 10.8.5 Supplementary Update to Apple employees ahead of a likely public release, reports 9to5Mac.

The Supplemental Update was previously seeded to employees in late September with a build number of 12F42; the new seed has a build number of 12F45.

The OS X 10.8.5 update fixes issues related to the FaceTime camera on some mid-2013 MacBook Air models, as well as problems with external drives, HDMI audio, and USB Bluetooth adapters. OS X 10.8.5 was originally released in mid-September.
The OS X v10.8.5 Supplemental Update is recommended for all users running OS X Mountain Lion v10.8.5. This update:

- Resolves an issue that may prevent certain applications from using the FaceTime HD camera on mid-2013 MacBook Air systems
- Fixes an issue that may cause external drives to be ejected after the computer goes to sleep
- Addresses an issue that may prevent HDMI audio from working after waking from sleep
- Fixes an issue that may prevent certain USB Bluetooth adapters from working
The FaceTime camera issue in particular has been the subject of a number of complaints, with Skype issuing a notice acknowledging the problem.
The 10.8.5 update updated a CoreMediaIO plugin that accesses the MBA camera, but didn't bundle the 32-bits version of it.

Other (older and newer) versions of the OS do include a universal version (32 and 64 bits), but not 10.8.5.

This means 32-bits apps such as Skype or iMovie cannot load the plugin, making the built-in facetime camera invisible to these them.
The update for iTunes, version 11.1.1, fixes issues with deleted podcasts and iTunes Extras. iTunes 11.1 was released last month alongside iOS 7

Internal releases of Apple software updates to employees typically signal an imminent public release.

Article Link: Apple Employees Testing Prerelease iTunes 11.1.1 and OS X 10.8.5 Supplemental Update

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2008
Looking forward to 10.8.5 or Mavericks. And a Haswell rMBP to install it on.

lcmazza

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2012
I hope they fix iTunes' long list of permissions not being able to be repaired after the 11.1 update.

mattburley7

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2011
mavericks will probably be released before any of these come out. this is mostly for users who can not upgrade to mavericks or choose not to.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Just call it 10.8.6, that's what it is. And send it to Appleseed, they really think that the way to fix a buggy release is by testing the follow up even less?

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
Hopefully they fix the problems with iTunes Radio - all my created radio stations only work sporadically (in contrast to Apple's stations that work all the time); the majority of the time they are unavailable (or only play 1 song then stop). This makes it hard to leave Pandora if I can't create the stations I want to.

Last edited:

ja2ed

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2009
Hopefully it fixes the issue of my music not syncing right although I don't know if it's an iOS issue instead

Nem Wan

macrumors member
May 4, 2009
I hope they fix the bug of deliberately choosing to force obsolescence on Snow Leopard users by disabling iTunes Radio for no technical necessity. I'm on Snow Leopard until ACD gets around to updating Canvas.

trickness

macrumors member
May 13, 2012
Yeh also got this issue and it cant be fixed with disk utility

I spoke with Apple tech support on this and it was a complete waste of time. After they tried several methods to fix the permissions, and fix the jumbled names of artists, their recommendation was to do a complete reinstall of the OS, because they thought it "must be an issue specific to my machine". I forwarded threads about this issue on Apple's own support forum, and the tech said they couldn't use that, they needed to build a case around a specific customer - so after I went back to a previous backup from Time Machine (pre-iTunes 11.1) and didn't have the problem, Apple support wanted me to reinstall iTunes 11.1 and then, when the problem came back, do the full OS reinstall just to build a case! No thanks.

I'm running 11.05 now and have zero problems. The new Apple software is bug ridden garbage - iOS7 totally screwed all my messages up too, waiting on them to patch that junk too. I really pity any early adopters foolish enough to install Mavericks on their machine when it comes out - Apple's software QC has gone out the window.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
way more excited about Maverick. Hope that comes out soon so this update becomes irrelevent for most

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.
Nobody seems to be mentioning the high disk activity problems that I am seeing on all our macs on 10.8.5.
It may be due to our reliance on Firefox, however our Machines that haven't jumped to 10.8.5 are not seeing the disk activity issues.

jonasdamn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2013
I spoke with Apple tech support on this and it was a complete waste of time. After they tried several methods to fix the permissions, and fix the jumbled names of artists, their recommendation was to do a complete reinstall of the OS, because they thought it "must be an issue specific to my machine". I forwarded threads about this issue on Apple's own support forum, and the tech said they couldn't use that, they needed to build a case around a specific customer - so after I went back to a previous backup from Time Machine (pre-iTunes 11.1) and didn't have the problem, Apple support wanted me to reinstall iTunes 11.1 and then, when the problem came back, do the full OS reinstall just to build a case! No thanks.

I'm running 11.05 now and have zero problems. The new Apple software is bug ridden garbage - iOS7 totally screwed all my messages up too, waiting on them to patch that junk too. I really pity any early adopters foolish enough to install Mavericks on their machine when it comes out - Apple's software QC has gone out the window.
Yeh totally agree. I really like iOS7 but there is a lot of bugs which makes me sad. With MBA 2013 and os x 10.8.5 i didnt notice any major issues, looking forward for Mavericks but will update after one month atleast. Got lesson with iOS7, better to wait and enjoy less buggy OS. Atleast on my MBA i'm able to downgrade OS not like iOS

lars666

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2008

Just curious, not judging - but do the non-fixable permission errors you see in disk utility have any real effect on your computer, meaning: are they causing an actual problem? I also don't like seeing them, very anal and OCD about this, but as they cause no actual problem, I probably would never have the idea to call Apple tech support because of this. If I look back, I often had at least one or two "errors" when checking permissions which weren't reparable, but really didn't matter. Isn't this a simple "psychological" thing then?

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Now that Apple has Mavericks on the way and iOS 7 - they should seriously focus on making it stable, robust, and reliable. Stop coming out with new features and leaving buggy OS's.. I like Apple because they were far from Microsoft - but lately, they don't seem to be much different.

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Glad they are addressing the external drive issue. Hopefully that fixes mine from being unmounted every time I sleep my machine.

lars666

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2008
Can't wait for 10.9. Going to scrub my lappy clean and start all over again!

The circle of life. R.I.P. Mountain Lion.

----------

Nobody seems to be mentioning the high disk activity problems that I am seeing on all our macs on 10.8.5.
It may be due to our reliance on Firefox, however our Machines that haven't jumped to 10.8.5 are not seeing the disk activity issues.

Not unmounting drives here, like others described, but putting my iTunes external hard drive to sleep, waking it up again, putting it to sleep again, waking it up again etc. Annoying and destroying my hard drive. 10.8.5 is also accessing my external Blu-Ray drive again and again. Both worked fine before, iTunes drive kept on spinning, Blu Ray drive not in use stayed quiet. I have "putting discs to sleep if possible" disabled. Judging by the Apple community forum, a lot of others are experiencing the same problem.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
Just call it 10.8.6, that's what it is. And send it to Appleseed, they really think that the way to fix a buggy release is by testing the follow up even less?
I dunno -- how often have a Supplemental Update required a Supplemental Update 2.0? If it doesn't really happen, I think they've got this down. I think the "supplementals" need less testing since they are pretty targetted only touching a few particular areas in the code.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.