Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mikesus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 7, 2011
So despite my better judgement I replaced my last case from them that also went defective.

This one at almost 11 months had zipper failure (looking at amazon, its a fairly common issue)

I contacted them and basically their only remedy is for me to ship the case cross country to them and once they make a determination that it actually is defective they will replace the case. (no way to do advance exchange other than for me to BUY another case and then they could refund once they get the other case) Personally I didn't want to mess around trying to get a refund for something they should be covering. The reason I was given as to why they don't offer advance replacement is due to customers that will rip them off. (got that in an email!)

They really need to learn customer service from Otterbox. When I had an issue with an Otterbox they shipped out without batting an eye.

For a company that provides a product to protect our iDevices, making the only options for replacing a defective product is BUY another, or wait and leave it unprotected seems pretty poor. And, they obviously think we are just out there to rip them off.

----------

Here is the email from Twelve South.

How do you feel about a company that lumps all of us into the group of "unscrupulous people" when asking them to not leave your iPad without ANY protection?

Hopefully this will help folks avoid them and the frustrations of dealing with a defective product from them.

Unfortunately, since the case was not purchased directly from Twelve South, (it was purchased through Amazon) I'm unable to ship the new case until the defective one is received. Our replacement policy is, as I'm sure you can understand, based on the fact that there are unscrupulous people out there who would claim a case was defective when it is not, receive a new one, and never send the first one back. They then have two cases for the price of one and we have no recourse.

A defective case ordered directly through our website can be replaced before the return of the defective case because we are able to charge the customer's credit card for the replacement if he fails to return the original case.

I certainly understand your desire to keep your iPad protected during this exchange process, and am very certain that you would return your legitimately defective BookBook, but there is simply no wiggle-room in the exchange policy based on the reasons above.

If you would like to purchase a new BookBook for iPad on http://www.twelvesouth.com, then have us refund this purchase when your damaged BookBook arrives back at our warehouse, we would certainly be open to this. I would just ask that you please let me know your order number if you choose to do this so I can make sure the refund is processed promptly.

Regards,

Tracey

Twelve South Support

Mikesus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 7, 2011
That is very unfortunate. Most other companies say they're enough for proof.

Exactly. Treating customers as if they are thieves is pretty bad especially when there are many instances of the zipper failure.

Went with a look alike off amazon that was 1/2 the price and appears to be better constructed. At least I won't feel ripped off (12 south is $80!!)

Shame, they used to have a decent product. The case for my iPad 1 was awesome.

Haesslich

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2012
Exactly. Treating customers as if they are thieves is pretty bad especially when there are many instances of the zipper failure.

Went with a look alike off amazon that was 1/2 the price and appears to be better constructed. At least I won't feel ripped off (12 south is $80!!)

Does the lookalike have the sleep/wake magnets? I've held off because of the ongoing lack of them. Got a keyword to search Amazon with for the lookalike?

Mikesus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 7, 2011
Does the lookalike have the sleep/wake magnets? I've held off because of the ongoing lack of them. Got a keyword to search Amazon with for the lookalike?

No magnets...

Eco-fused makes it. It's a bit chunkier but has room for cards and such, plus the tray rotates 360 so you can stand it up portrait or landscape. I figured for 39 it was worth a shot...

With all the travel I do, having a case that doesn't scream iPad is a must...

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
I mean... I don't know what you expect entirely. This is normal practice.

For one - OtterBox is a much larger company with MUCH larger margins - they can afford to send stuff out based on pictures and they don't even want the original product back because they know it isn't cost effective for them to recycle old parts since they are so cheap to begin with.

A company should only cross ship if they have some sort of payment method backed up, like she said.

You wouldn't expect Apple to ship you a new computer without collateral while you ship your defective one back would you?

Mikesus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 7, 2011
I mean... I don't know what you expect entirely. This is normal practice.

For one - OtterBox is a much larger company with MUCH larger margins - they can afford to send stuff out based on pictures and they don't even want the original product back because they know it isn't cost effective for them to recycle old parts since they are so cheap to begin with.

A company should only cross ship if they have some sort of payment method backed up, like she said.

You wouldn't expect Apple to ship you a new computer without collateral while you ship your defective one back would you?

With their lower quality, I am sure their margins are just fine. Do you work for them?

That said, i think you missed the point. They WONT cross ship even with a form of payment. They want you to BUY another case and a few weeks later (about 3 by my calculations) they MIGHT refund you. Bit of difference with Apple. I can go to apple store and get a replacement same day. (Sorry rubs me the wrong way when you say your customers are there to rip you off)

Again for a company that sells a product that is to protect your device, having a policy that will leave you without a case for close to a month is bad.

When I first got a case for my iPad 1 they didn't behave this way and actually put out a quality product.

Feel free to support them, I won't.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Ever since I first heard about them on this forum, I have always rather liked Twelve South and their products.

Thus, I am sorry to hear that this particular product has not met their more usual standards, especially given the fact that their products are relatively expensive.

However, I don't understand why the OP simply does not ship the defective product - along with the receipt, or a copy of same - back to Twelve South. If it is found to be defective, then they will replace it. Why should they send you another case until you have returned the product which you say is defective?

Moreover, asking whether a poster who had the courtesy to reply to you (and took a different view in so doing) whether he or she works for Twelve South strikes me as adding little to the overall discussion.

Mikesus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 7, 2011
Ever since I first heard about them on this forum, I have always rather liked Twelve South and their products.

Thus, I am sorry to hear that this particular product has not met their more usual standards, especially given the fact that their products are relatively expensive.

However, I don't understand why the OP simply does not ship the defective product - along with the receipt, or a copy of same - back to Twelve South. If it is found to be defective, then they will replace it. Why should they send you another case until you have returned the product which you say is defective?

Moreover, asking whether a poster who had the courtesy to reply to you (and took a different view in so doing) whether he or she works for Twelve South strikes me as adding little to the overall discussion.

As there are MANY documented cases of zipper failures, treating customers that are affected by this as thieves is where the issue is.

http://www.amazon.com/Twelve-South-BookBook-iPad-generation/product-reviews/B0084JFM34?pageNumber=5

And a number on the MacBook Case

http://store.apple.com/us/reviews/H...ro-with-retina-display?fnode=50&rs=mostUseful

Its not just me saying its defective, look at the recent reviews. Most are complaining of zipper failures.

I checked at the apple store and the case I have is IDENTICAL to those currently sold.

They really have dropped quality and its obvious from the many complaints.

As to the question if he worked for them, he seemed to know about their bottom line, and the size of their company, thought it was a reasonable question? Sorry if you were offended?

Last edited:

Mikesus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 7, 2011
Side note - the Eco-Fused had a zipper pull come off :(

Contacted the company and they are sending a replacement case no questions asked!

(This is the kind of customer service that Twelve South USED to have)

Johnwebster79

Suspended
Nov 2, 2012
California
As there are MANY documented cases of zipper failures, treating customers that are affected by this as thieves is where the issue is.

http://www.amazon.com/Twelve-South-BookBook-iPad-generation/product-reviews/B0084JFM34?pageNumber=5

And a number on the MacBook Case

http://store.apple.com/us/reviews/H...ro-with-retina-display?fnode=50&rs=mostUseful

Its not just me saying its defective, look at the recent reviews. Most are complaining of zipper failures.

I checked at the apple store and the case I have is IDENTICAL to those currently sold.

They really have dropped quality and its obvious from the many complaints.

As to the question if he worked for them, he seemed to know about their bottom line, and the size of their company, thought it was a reasonable question? Sorry if you were offended?

Mikesus, I agree with your point. It seems to everyone that this is major problem. 12 South should take more steps away, other than regular return/exchange procedure. Policy can always have exception.

Oui

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
Side note - the Eco-Fused had a zipper pull come off :(

Contacted the company and they are sending a replacement case no questions asked!

(This is the kind of customer service that Twelve South USED to have)

12 South still does if you purchase directly form them.
Absolutely wonderful products and fantastic company with great CS.

Knara

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2010
People who try to cheat the system often make it harder for legit folks to do things conveniently.

But I can't fault a company for having a policy that prevents them from being repeatedly burned by those types.

Mikesus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 7, 2011
People who try to cheat the system often make it harder for legit folks to do things conveniently.

But I can't fault a company for having a policy that prevents them from being repeatedly burned by those types.

You can when its a known defect in their product.

pat park

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2011
California
You can when its a known defect in their product.

This is all a misconception in your mind. You have this expectation that the company should blindly trust you because you've been inconvenienced. You refuse to understand the company's perspective and only see your narrow minded needs be resolved under your conditions only. Sure, you're a trustworthy person. You know that. They do not. For all they know, you could send back a box of bricks after they send an advanced replacement.

The company did not intend to sell defective product, they are willing to exchange a new product to resolve your problem. It's only reasonable that you send back the defective unit first. Your justification does not outweigh the risks that they could lose a case. Be reasonable and send back the case. It may be reasonable for them to reimburse your mailing costs since the product was defective, but you'll have to check the replacement warranty/guidelines.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010

Link?

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
This is all a misconception in your mind. You have this expectation that the company should blindly trust you because you've been inconvenienced. You refuse to understand the company's perspective and only see your narrow minded needs be resolved under your conditions only. Sure, you're a trustworthy person. You know that. They do not. For all they know, you could send back a box of bricks after they send an advanced replacement.

The company did not intend to sell defective product, they are willing to exchange a new product to resolve your problem. It's only reasonable that you send back the defective unit first. Your justification does not outweigh the risks that they could lose a case. Be reasonable and send back the case. It may be reasonable for them to reimburse your mailing costs since the product was defective, but you'll have to check the replacement warranty/guidelines.

Well said. As a prior top rated power seller on eBay, I agree entirely.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
This is a good reason to buy directly from the company instead of Amazon.

I have had the iPad 2/3 BookBookfor two years, no problems at all. I actually use it as a carrying case only, I take the iPad out to use it. It still looks new inside and out. I also had the iPhone 4 BookBook, well built and looked great.

musicjunky

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2013
I don't agree with the idea that since you purchased a case to protect your device, that the company is doing you a disservice by asking you to ship in the defective case and leaving your iPad unprotected.

They are selling you a case, not casting an immunity spell on your iPad. Send in your defective case and you'll most likely receive a new one soon thereafter. But you shouldn't smear the company because you don't have the confidence in yourself to hold onto your vulnerable, naked iPad.

Last edited:

lighttraveler

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2013
Standing by the product

Folks, I find this strange - the whole story. I am a founder and CEO of Strotter, Inc. We also make cases and bags for iPads, so I am familiar with customer service, returns and warranty claims first hand, even though returns or defect reports happen extremely rarely.

I find the whole thing strange. From the business stand point it is easier, wiser and most likely cheaper just to send a replacement - if the customer can prove she bought the case in the first place. Yes, there is a remote possibility that someone may be playing the system trying to get a second free product, but seriously, how often does that happen. No one is going to recycle a used product - its parts cannot be used to make a new one. I would suggest calling up the company (not emailing) and politely explaining the problem, if you have not tried it yet. May be you just got unlucky with a customer service rep.

Recently we shipped a replacement bag all the way from USA to Latvia in Europe. Shipping alone was more than $50, which we swallowed, of course. The defect was small, and we certainly could have denied the claim: the bag was perfectly usable, and the defect was not visible nor it was affecting the functionality. Still, it was there. The customer sent us a photo. We told him to keep the original bag. So yes, now he has pretty much two bags. But we have a happy and a very grateful customer.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
Seems like in the time it has taken to fight this you could have probably sent yours back and gotten a replacement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.