Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Want300

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I am currently trying to fix my Step-Mother's iPad 2.

She had not upgraded it to iOS 7 when it started to boot loop. She set up a genius appointment at Apple and they told her someone had "tampered with the internals at some point"... I bought it brand new from an Apple store, so that is a lie.

They apparently tried to upgrade it to iOS 7 in order to get it running, but they gave up and told her she needed to buy a new one.

Once I got back into town, I put the iPad into DFU mode and tried to restore it to 7.0.2 as well as 6.1.3 (but got error 3194 for iOS 6 attempt).

During the restore, the iPad crashed just like it had been when it was trying to boot up.

Eventually, it booted successfully long enough for me to go through all the set up a new iPad procedures. But it crashes consistently and goes back into a boot loop again.

Is there anything I am missing and can do to make this thing functional again?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Try a DFU mode (Google it) restore. If it still does that, then it had a hardware problem and is likely unrepairable.

Want300

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Try a DFU mode (Google it) restore. If it still does that, then it had a hardware problem and is likely unrepairable.

I did a DFU mode restore. And after it restored the software and the iPad reboots and iTunes tells you it will show it in iTunes when it turns back on... the iPad shows a status indicator bar like it is doing something again then crashes before the indicator makes it 1/4 of the way.

Then it starts a boot loop all over again

CH34P3T

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2009
Definitely a hardware problem. I had the same problem on my iPad 3 and apple replaced it on the spot.

bluemix

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2011
Bs

This is not a hardware problem. I have an ipad that worked just fine until I did the ios 7 upgrade - it's been in a boot loop ever since. Every thread on every forum regarding this problem seems to just stop. People seem to believe that those of us with bricked devices are ok with a $600+ item after only 18 months of use goes bust. I see one guy is attempting to sue apple for forced use of memory for the update - how about a class action suit for all of the bricked devices? Hardware problem my @ss - if I don't have a problem before an update/upgrade and the update renders my 18 month old tablet useless because there is no way to recover from it - then that is called a design flaw, or it's called planned obsolescence. How is it that Apple doesn't stand by it's product?

So, assuming I am incapable of finding the correct way to fix it online (or with Apple's help) please, oh community of enlightened souls, tell me how to save an ipad that was fine until attempting to update to ios7 that is now stuck in a boot loop and automatically restarts 1/4 of the way through the recovery process...

How is a community of users ok with a company that doesn't support their customers when the issue is clearly not isolated? And, if it is isolated, why won't Apple replace the "defective" units at no charge? If it's such an inconsequential problem for so few of us why would Apple leave us out in the cold?

I for one will never buy another ipad.

The following will never compute for me:

Works great
Update
Doesn't work ever again

And somehow, after only 18 months use, that's my problem...

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
The following will never compute for me:

Works great
Update
Doesn't work ever again

And somehow, after only 18 months use, that's my problem...

Have you tried making that argument to Apple?

Also, IMO, if you plan to use an Apple device for more than a year, you should get Apple Care. If you had, you wouldn't have this problem, because your device would still be under warranty.

bluemix

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2011
Fix for continuous boot loop after ios7 update

OK, here is how I managed to fix my bricked ipad - I warn you though, it takes approximately 10-20 hours to get it back depending on what level your battery is at. If it is like mine was it will take the better part of 2 days to get your ipad back.

After doing the update the ipad went into a continuous boot loop to the point where it wore the battery down to nothing. It wouldn't take a charge, or at least it's ability to charge was so diminished it was useless. ITunes could still see it in boot mode but kept dropping the connection when it would burn out the battery (thus limiting the ability to get through the recovery process). Also, once in recovery mode, the ipad itself would only stay in recovery mode for about 3-4 minutes at a time before going back to the boot loop. I played on a hunch that the ipad would take a charge while in recovery mode - which turned out to be true.

So, STEP 1 - get it into recovery mode and leave the power connected, you have to baby sit it for a whole day putting it back into recovery mode every time it tries to re-enter the boot loop - this way it's not burning out the battery and you can get the battery up to full pop

STEP 2 - make sure iTunes is fully updated to the most recent version otherwise your recovery/restore won't work

STEP 3 - after your battery is fully recharged and your iTunes is updated make sure all sync options are turned off - my goal was to get my ipad unbricked, not restore any content or save any data

STEP 4 - make sure your computer is HARDWIRED to your router/modem - do not use wireless to do this or you are introducing a variable that can corrupt the recovery process

STEP 5 - Make sure your ipad is in recovery mode and connect your ipad to iTunes and start the recovery process - don't try to backup or save any data - just wipe the sucker

STEP 6 - I don't know what it was downloading but it took more than 4 hours to download the appropriate software and go through all of the steps - just so you know, don't be surprised if your ipad goes into it's boot loop at some point during this process, iTunes will keep the connection with your ipad during this process even if it goes back into boot mode - don't try to get your ipad back into recovery mode, just leave it alone - you have enough battery life if it's full to get through the process

STEP 6 - Don't be alarmed - once this entire process finishes nothing happens in iTunes, it just finishes what it was doing and the ipad will probably still be stuck in boot mode - I got worried at this point and figured it wasn't working and disconnected it from iTunes and restarted it. I don't know if you have to restart your ipad or not at this point but this is what I did. Then I plugged it back into iTunes (not in recovery mode), iTunes saw it, then I hit the recovery button in iTunes again and it went through the next stage of the process downloading and installing firmware on the ipad, etc. This when I really knew it was working because now on the ipad there was a spinning circle, then the big apple with a progress bar underneath that was filling up! Very exciting!

STEP 7 - Leave it connected and let this complete and eventually you'll get the welcome screen for ios7 - welcome to what feels like your new ipad!

Good luck, I hope this works for you.
This was all done with no help from Apple. I tried their online chat support and was on with them for more than 3 hours and felt like I was talking to a computer for the first part of the chat and then was told to be patient - they are overloaded, ios7 seems like a big PITA for them I imagine. Anyway, I never got any help and went to bed. The above is my fix from reading the forums and taking bits and pieaces here and there and then not giving up.

Let me know if it works for you!

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Things were different five years ago. Even now, iOS devices are nearly impossible to brick or get stuck in a boot loop that is not hardware related. It's how they have been designed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.