Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

Old Oct 2, 2013, 04:20 PM   #1
IJBrekke
macrumors regular

iOS7 auto-download solved?

So I'm still on iOS6 because I'm weary of iOS7 on my iPhone 4. The updated downloaded as expected to my phone last week, swelling my "Other" section in iTunes to about 4.5 gigs (up from 2.25gb). I experienced this last year with iOS6 as well so I assumed the space would be gone until I inevitably was forced to restore and update.

I plugged my phone into my computer today and got the popup saying "New download available - iOS 7.0.2." I checked the box that said "Don't ask me again" and then clicked "cancel." My phone then synced, and Viola! My space is back to normal. I still have a notification for my "Settings" icon on my phone, but I've gained back the space I lost with the auto-download.

Does this work for anyone else that has not yet upgraded? I'm curious to know if this is a fluke or if Apple changed their policy. Chime in!
IJBrekke is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2013, 08:30 AM   #2
IJBrekke
macrumors regular

Wow, not a single reply? I'm shocked. No one can try this to confirm?
IJBrekke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2013, 08:38 AM   #3
borostef
macrumors 6502

Tried it on my iPhone 5 and iPad 4... I think that it didn't work... My "Other" files have shrunk, but only for 200 MB... I don't think that iOS 7 wants to leave my iDevices...
borostef is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2013, 10:09 AM   #4
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJBrekke View Post

I plugged my phone into my computer today and got the popup saying "New download available - iOS 7.0.2." I checked the box that said "Don't ask me again" and then clicked "cancel." My phone then synced, and Viola! My space is back to normal. I still have a notification for my "Settings" icon on my phone, but I've gained back the space I lost with the auto-download.
Cleared out the space but did it really solve the issue of the software auto downloading. Only time will tell on that. At this point the best we know is that you shut up the pop up when you connect to the computer
Old Oct 4, 2013, 10:37 AM   #5
Mebsat
macrumors regular

Quote:
So I'm still on iOS6 because I'm weary of iOS7 on my iPhone 4. The updated downloaded as expected to my phone last week, swelling my "Other" section in iTunes to about 4.5 gigs (up from 2.25gb). I experienced this last year with iOS6 as well so I assumed the space would be gone until I inevitably was forced to restore and update.

Does this work for anyone else that has not yet upgraded? I'm curious to know if this is a fluke or if Apple changed their policy. Chime in!
What version of iTunes are you using?

I could not duplicate on my iPhone 5 (6.1.4) or iPhone 4 (5.1.1 - no active cell service). I am using iTunes 10.7.

I reset warnings, etc. You do mean that the popup was in iTunes, right?

Thanks.
Mebsat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2013, 11:31 AM   #6
apollo1444
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebsat View Post
What version of iTunes are you using?

I could not duplicate on my iPhone 5 (6.1.4) or iPhone 4 (5.1.1 - no active cell service). I am using iTunes 10.7.

I reset warnings, etc. You do mean that the popup was in iTunes, right?

Thanks.
Why are you running such low versions ?
apollo1444 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2013, 12:10 PM   #7
Primus84
macrumors 6502

Quote:

I plugged my phone into my computer today and got the popup saying "New download available - iOS 7.0.2." I checked the box that said "Don't ask me again" and then clicked "cancel." My phone then synced, and Viola!
Why did a viola appear? Are you an accomplished viola player?

Last edited by Primus84; Oct 4, 2013 at 12:31 PM.
Primus84 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2013, 03:48 PM   #8
Mebsat
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollo1444 View Post
Why are you running such low versions ?
iPhone 5 is last version of iOS 6.
iPhone 4 was in the drawer, meaning to sell...just using to test, but it too got the forced download of iOS7.

iTunes, no real explanation other than I didn't really like the changes in 11 and it backs up my phone and streams my library fine. Haven't bothered to update.

So does iTunes 11 clear up the problem of the wasted space?
Mebsat is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2013, 11:02 PM   #9
Nanasaki
macrumors 6502

Quote:

One of the solution I found online is that you go ahead proceed the update... then when the spinning wheel comes up, you hold home+sleep/wake to force shutdown your iDevice. This way will clear the downloaded update. I have not tried this method, but some people report this method worked

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7