Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goldengopher

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
My brother just brought me his iPhone 5 saying it was doing something "weird." He swiped down to open spotlight and then hovered his finger over the keyboard (I would say ~1/2 cm - 1 cm away). Most keys were non-responsive, but the f key would constantly pop up, although it would often register as a "c" in the text field. It "typed" at an extremely rapid rate - as if you were pressing the button 10 times per second. It also did something interesting where it jumped out of Spotlight back to the second page of the home screen (where he had been) and then "swiped" to the first page of the home screen - again, without being physically touched.

I thought it was a joke or something so I grabbed it and tried it myself - exact same thing happened. To be perfectly clear, my finger was NOT touching the screen, nor was it close enough that any sort of "static" or "bond" between us should have caused the phone to type (on a normal basis). We both tried the same thing on my 5s without being able to replicate it.

I did a soft reset of his phone and the issue went away (he was annoyed because he wanted to get a video of it), but he said he had done a reset or just turned it off before and while it stopped doing it right then, in most cases it started again.

I know most people will think I'm 1. crazy or 2. making this up, but in all seriousness does anyone have any idea what the problem is or have had it happen themselves? The issue with it is that it makes the keyboard unusable while it is "glitching" because it senses the proximity of your finger when you try to physically touch other keys and adds random f's or c's.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Because of how capacitance touch screens work, you do not have to be touching the screen. I'm able to type or interact with my phone by not touching it. It's rather normal and highly variable to each person and device.

whtrbt7

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2011
It's like the force :D. Sorry couldn't help myself. Basically capacitive touch means that any electrical disruption other capacitive field on the screen registers as an input. Your fingers have bio electric energy so by getting close to the screen, you can automatically register an input. The trick to typing on capacitive screens is to lift fingers for clear and concise touches on the screen.

goldengopher

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
Because of how capacitance touch screens work, you do not have to be touching the screen. I'm able to type or interact with my phone by not touching it. It's rather normal and highly variable to each person and device.

It's like the force :D. Sorry couldn't help myself. Basically capacitive touch means that any electrical disruption other capacitive field on the screen registers as an input. Your fingers have bio electric energy so by getting close to the screen, you can automatically register an input. The trick to typing on capacitive screens is to lift fingers for clear and concise touches on the screen.

I totally get that the screen normally recognizes touch without being actually touched. This device (and its user) have always been "normal" - acting the way I am used to seeing iPhone screens act - for nearly a year now. This, however, was something totally different. Hold your finger a full centimeter away from your phone and tell me you've ever seen they keyboard recognize that (and do so in an erratic way). This is different from normal.

mmp1964

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2011

Today my iPhone executed about 10 tasks without me being anywhere near it. This happened to me yesterday as well and has happened intermittently over the last few months.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Today my iPhone executed about 10 tasks without me being anywhere near it. This happened to me yesterday as well and has happened intermittently over the last few months.

That would be caused by a faulty screen or localized electromagnetic disturbance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.