Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

B-Met

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2013
I am running OS X 10.8.5 and Outlook 2011 for Mac version 14.3.7. Both are completely up to date according to the App Store and Microsoft Autoupdate. In recent weeks, every time I start Outlook after I boot/reboot the computer or even just log out and log back in, the Outlook splash screen reports that it is "Setting up identity," which takes about 10 minutes. I have been Googling solutions and trying them for days, to no avail. After following every step in many "solutions," the problem persists after every re-boot.

I expected the following would finally solve the problem, but it did not.
1. I deleted all Identities (all content) within /documents/Microsoft User Data/Office 2011 Identities.
2. In System Preferences, I deleted the two email accounts I use (an Exchange account and a Gmail account).
3. I ran "Repair Disk Permissions" within Disk Utility (both "normally" and after starting the computer in Recovery Mode.
4. After a fresh boot, I set up a new Identity called Main Identity in in Microsoft Database Utility and clicked "Rebuild."
5. I opened Outlook, which opened rapidly since there were no accounts,
6. Under Tools...Accounts...I successfully added my Exchange Account and then my Gmail account.
7. I let Outlook sync/download all content for all folders, watching the Progress window until absolutely everything downloaded. Everything seems to be in order. So long as I don't re-boot, Office opens fast and normally (no Setting up Identity delay).
8. I quit and shutdown and rebooted in Safe Mode.
9. I shift-opened Outlook to start it in it's "safe mode" which was quick and successful. I closed Outlook and shutdown.
10. I booted into Recovery Mode and ran the Repair Disk Permissions in the Disk Utility and ran Repair Disk for good measure. (No problems).
11. I rebooted normally, waited until everything "calmed down" and started Outlook normally.

But, it still took about 10 minutes to Set up identity again after all this!!

I am out of ideas and suggestions that I can find with Google. It can't be a corrupted Identity after all this, can it? Unless someone can offer a suggestion that works, my next two options that I can think of are to have my organization reinstall Office and install all updates and if that doesn't work, the nuclear option of reinstalling OS X and starting from scratch all over.

Any help will be appreciated!

ScoobyMcDoo

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2007
Austin, TX
Ran across this post, which is solving a different problem, but thought it might help you out with yours also. Basically I think this solution is completely blowing away outlook's memory of any setup ever and starting over. Hope it helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.